There -will be /there wont be- a NEW Toyota SUPRA!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: There -will be /there wont be- a NEW Toyota SUPRA!

Banned

MK5 Supra, start your opinions.

Okay I would not post this just as a "what do you think it will be" thread. No in April's Road and Track issue, page 55 there is an article with the model for what the next generation Supra should be like, and says at the end of the article to "Look for the Supra to make it's appearance in October of 2007." The article says that it may be priced around $50k offered in both coupe and convertible forms. More importantly there are two engine options. One with a 5.0 V8 with 450hp and 383ft lbs of torque. The latter engine is the same V6 from the Lexus IS350 but tuned to "350bhp and 275ft lbs of torque." Thoughts and opinions now?

Alex

cool hopfully the mkivs will come down a littie more.. hopfully.. lol

I'd rock and is350 over the mkv.... droollllllll

make a coupe of the is350 and i'll be all over it.. and just call it a supra

SupraForums Member SuspectSupra's Avatar
    i say the mkiv still looks bad ass...the only thing i would change on it..is make it a two seater..single turbo........that how the mkv should be...

GT40 1.5JZ
    no straight six option huh?

SupraForums Member
    well i think they should stick to targa...i mean...its kinda a thing supras have stuck with...and this whole v8 v6 thing...its what was suppose to happen since all the other freakin japanese cars went that route and they got rid of all the I6 cars....would have been somethin for toyota to said "were stickin to the game plan" and released it with the lower model being the 8mgte and the higher model being the 3jz....only problem i see with that...how much better can you make a jz engine...1 jz and 2jz out do themselves time and time again...really no need for a 3jz...but it would be cool to have an 8m to revive the m family....

on a different note....

what if the MKV Supra went the direction of the American cars and did a throw back of the MKIII?...that be freakin SSSWWEEETTTT!!!

I<3 Dashboard Waterfall toyota88powered's Avatar
    throw back to the MKI

Banned
    Sorry, according to the article, there is no option for an Inline 6 or turbo set up.

Quote Originally Posted by toyota88powered
    throw back to the MKI
    2000 gt

I6s arn't good for front impacts from what I hear, and are big (less cabin space)

go mark one
    Some Say.....
    B5 A4 1.8TQM - Supra Turbo - Kawi 850 - Triumph T120R - GS300-T (Sold) - Yam R1 (Stolen)

got boost???
    got any pics of it? or was it just a written article?

also i'm not sure but i heard from one guy that he read somewhere that they were suppose to re-release some MKIVs but i doubt it. But he insists that he did read it somewhere....anyone hear about that?

Your Neighborhood Pikey HamsMKIV's Avatar
    The new Supra will be a coupe, not a GT car. From the A-pillar back, it looks a lot like a MKIV, but stretched. The front end resembles a C6 Corvette to me. I like the look, it's not a very drastic departure from the MKIV. I'd rather pay the money for that than 30K for a 10 year old MKIV honestly.

Sexy car, I plan to buy one when/if it is released.

- Chris
    Out of the game for a while.

Always playing catch up snake eyes's Avatar
    og this and i hear rx7 rumors all the time

personally, turbo and targa has been a tradation for the supra since the mk3, so they should keep that, also to concider that peole most likely to buy a supra are guys who like supras. Why do we like them? Because they are easy to mod, can take lots of abuse, look good and different, and can support stupid amounts of horsepower, and can just wail on domestics. So if you mod them and they still arent getting much out of it, buyers will be less inclined to buy them.

if they make it like they are talking about i hope it bombs cause they are giving up on the past that they had, and are unwilling to take a stand and be different.

On the plus side, it will bring a mk4 down so those owners will know how it feels to have people who are "working up" to have a mk5 lol

<l><l>
    88 wingless turbo hardtop- project TuRD 2.0- trying this again for better or worse....

04 svt focus- daily

92 4 cylinder mustang- 24 hours of lemons car

If it doesn't have an I6 it's not a supra

Banned
    Sorry I couldn't scan the pics, I am still at work now. But hopefully someone can get them for everyone to see. Again my apologies.

SupraForums Member
    i agree with snake eyes...i think sells may drop because the people more likely to buy them are supra lovers that can afford them...if they are not holding on to tradition...wahts the point of calling it a supra...call it somethin els.e..start a new line with a new name...its not a supra.....then again...americans love the new japanese cars coming out and alot of the people driving them dont know alot about the cars...just want a nice car...hince the many women you see driving g35s, rx8s, and 350zs

btw...not being against all females...just ones that dont have knowledge on cars

Your Neighborhood Pikey HamsMKIV's Avatar
    I think it would come down to choice for me. Given that I'm always in the market for a nice coupe and given the cars it would compete against, it's a good choice. The new GT-R won't have a RB in it, but it's going to be a nice car, something worth having. Sure, it may not have an I-6 in it, but for what it would bring to the market, it will be a nice car overall. I'm personally in love with Toyotas and I would drive a Toyota sports car over many other cars, even if it has a V-8 in it. Also.... Think about the options you might have with forced induction on a V-8 Supra. I think it would be pretty nice honestly.

- Chris

This is not for the MK3 section.

MOVED

i'll believe it when i see one on the road

Bench Racer of the Year briguy453's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snake eyes
    og this and i hear rx7 rumors all the time

personally, turbo and targa has been a tradation for the supra since the mk3, so they should keep that, also to concider that peole most likely to buy a supra are guys who like supras. Why do we like them? Because they are easy to mod, can take lots of abuse, look good and different, and can support stupid amounts of horsepower, and can just wail on domestics. So if you mod them and they still arent getting much out of it, buyers will be less inclined to buy them.

if they make it like they are talking about i hope it bombs cause they are giving up on the past that they had, and are unwilling to take a stand and be different.

On the plus side, it will bring a mk4 down so those owners will know how it feels to have people who are "working up" to have a mk5 lol

<l><l>
    I would be suprised if Toyota didn't release a sporty car outside the L-FA. But I'm sorry Snake Eyes - the market for MkIVs isn't going to budge. Take the Vipers for example (GTS compared to SRT-10). The MkIV has made it's place in history - there it will stay.

Brian

Now...Whitesupra94
    Why is this not locked yet?

Theres a thread with pictures halfway down the page.....

SupraForums Member
    hold on....this was aprils issue!!! gah wtf....ok people get ready to be dissapointed...APRIL FOOLS!

Screw the MKV. Its all about the LF-A. Not only does it look better but most likly with the V10 engine it'll perform better and have the more ridgty body. Seeing how the MKV Is going to be a hardtop droptop.

Also its much better that they are going with a V6/8 and not with a I6. The inline six maybe naturaly balanced but its still long and will make a car front heavy then it needs to be.

Always playing catch up snake eyes's Avatar
    well the main thing it has to do with where it came from, in the photos ive seen (look at other thread otherwise ill hotlink a pic) it does look like a supra, ill give them that, but pop ups are dead, so thats out, that leaves targa, turbo, and the i6.

turbo- is making a comeback, but the market isn't supporting a turbo'ed 6, as shown with the rx8 and 350z, the v8 is the next closest option, but i dont think power will come as easy as before. plus there is emissions

i6- as stated, would make a long car, and v6's are easier to make as they are in the current production run, so looks like that is out

targa- now this is the one i think they should AT LEAST include, it gives the car something that stands out, now that they have made it a convertable, ew

so my .02 is that its gonna be a car that looks like a supra, but i dont think something that is worthy of the supra name

<l><l>

there's no way another car can be better than the mkiv already is.... it's just gonna end up like the R34 to G35

Quote Originally Posted by HamsMKIII
    The new Supra will be a coupe, not a GT car.
    You don't seem to know the terms you are using.
    Coupe = Car with 2 doors.
    Sedan = Car with four doos
    Sports Car = Car with two doors and two seats.
    GT Car = Car with two doors and four seats

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast