Supra Forums banner

Map Ecu Faq *dont Post A Map Ecu Question Without Reading*

43K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  dynosaur 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a compiled list of questions/concerns regarding the MAP ECU, with appropriate answers. Before getting this far, it is assumed that you have read through the MAP ECU Installation Guide and MAP CAL Software Guide included on the CDROM in the box with your MAP ECU. It is also assumed you know how to properly install, tune, and diagnose electronic accessories on your vehicle. If you have any doubts, take the MAP ECU to a professional installer to have it installed and tuned. If you don’t see your question on this list, email me directly.

1. My laptop won’t connect to the MAP ECU, or throws an error when I try to connect.

Make sure the MAP ECU is powered up and the ignition key is on. If using a pure serial connection, make sure you have the correct serial COM port selected in the MAP CAL software. If using a USB/Serial converter, get a PCMCIA card with serial port and throw the USB/Serial converter away. 99.99999999% of MAP ECU connection problems relate to USB/Serial converters or the ECU is not powered up. For older MAP ECU units, also be sure your MAP CAL software matches the firmware on your MAP ECU.

2. The LED lights on the MAP ECU are not on, or they come on briefly at start-up and go off. Is my MAP ECU defective?

The two LED lights are only active when the two outputs are active. IE: NOS control, spray bars, or boost control. They may illuminate on occasion during power-up, but not always. This is normal.

3. How do I wire the MAP ECU into my car?

Get a factory wiring manual for your year, make, and model-specific vehicle. Or search the internet for wiring data. The MAP ECU only needs +12V power, ground, RPM signal, MAF/MAP/VKF signal, and TPS Sensor inputs. These are the very same wires used for an HKS VPC or Apexi S-AFC installation, so you can also search for help in wiring those units. If you are installing the MAP ECU into a 93-98 Supra, go to www.powerhouseracing.com and click on TECH. Then click on ELECTRONICS. Click on MAP ECU INSTALL IN SUPRA and read diagrams.

4. How do I connect the Air Temp (AT) sensor? The factory AT sensor was installed inside the factory MAF meter.

Also see #3 above. The factory AT sensor gets removed when you remove the MAF meter, so normally you connect the supplied AT sensor onto the MAF connector, using the two wires for the AT sensor. If you are installing into a 93-98 Supra, go to www.powerhouseracing.com and click on TECH. Then click on ELECTRONICS. Click on MAP ECU INSTALL IN SUPRA and read diagrams. Most MAP ECU installations include mounting the supplied AT sensor into the intercooler plumbing just before the throttle body. Other mounting locations for the AT sensor include the turbo air inlet piping or intake manifold. You can also substitute the AT sensor for a 2.2K OHM resistor (1/2 or 1/4 watt does not matter) between the AT pins in the MAF connector.

5. Do you have a map for XXX car for the MAP ECU?

Go to www.mapecu.com and click on DOWNLOADS. There are the public maps that are available for download. If there is no map listed for your car, you can contact MAP ECU and ask for a map for your application. They will forward your email to the most appropriate dealer who handles the make and model of car you are inquiring about. But remember, these are BASE MAPS and were most likely tuned on a vehicle with slightly different modifications than yours. You MUST get the car to a dyno with proper A/F metering equipment in order to PROPERLY tune the MAP ECU.

6. Should I use an OBD1 or OBD2 ECU with my MAP ECU.

The MAP ECU can handle airflow mapping for any ECU on almost any car. OBD1 systems are generally easier to tune. OBD2 systems include ECU feedback loops and require more fine tuning to keep the ECU happy. The final decision is up to you.

7. Will the MAP ECU work on XXX car?

The MAP ECU is UNIVERSAL. This means it will work on MAF, MAP, Karman-Vortex, or Flap style OEM systems. This covers about 99% of cars on the road today. If there is no plug-and-play harness for your car listed, you can hard-wire the MAP ECU with the 5 required wires listed in #3 above. Building maps is easy using the self-learn function or starting with an existing base map.

8. How do I connect a wideband O2 meter to my MAP ECU?

The MAP ECU yellow wire is for either an OEM 0-1 volt O2 sensor, or an aftermarket wideband O2 controller analog output. If you connect an aftermarket wideband O2 controller to the yellow MAP ECU wire, you must also select the wideband used in the MAP CAL software so the scale can be adapted to your unit. This is covered in the MAP CAL user guide supplied with your MAP ECU via CD ROM. If your unit is not listed, contact MAP ECU directly and request a custom wideband configuration file for your application.

9. I think I have a bad MAP ECU because my car won’t start after installing it.

We have only had TWO units that were defective out of nearly 1000 sold. And both defective units related to communications errors, not lack of starting up. 99.99% of the time the lack of starting is related to installation error, namely a mistake in wiring. It’s easy to mistake wire B58 for B57 in the harness while your upside down underneath the dashboard. Purchasing a plug and play harness solves this issue, but if you insist on hard-wiring the MAP ECU please make sure your wires are absolutely solid before insisting it’s a MAP ECU fault. All MAP ECU units are burned-in, powered on, and tested at the factory to ensure quality. If you believe you have a defective unit, contact MAP ECU directly at www.mapecu.com.

10. I’ve installed the MAP ECU correctly. I’ve downloaded the base map from the www.mapecu.com website. Now when I press the accelerator quickly the car hesitates.

Read the QUICK START guide included with your new MAP ECU. Adjust the TPS MIN/MAX values for your car according to the MAP CAL user guide (CD ROM) first. Then adjust the TPS Enrichment value up or down until the hesitation goes away. Most turbo cars with large injectors require very little TPS Enrichment, between 5-10% on average. Remember you can only use TPS Enrichment *OR* MAP Enrichment, but not both together. Most applications with a TPS sensor use TPS Enrichment ONLY.

11. I am trying to use the logging feature to tune my MAP ECU while driving. I’m getting XX A/F ratio while driving then drops to XX A/F at idle.

First of all, get to a DYNO. Never, Never, Never attempt to tune a MAP ECU on public roads while driving. Download the appropriate base map, drive to a dyno, and build your map while utilizing reliable A/F, RPM, and speed data from the dyno. This unit is super-simple to tune, and 100% reliable when installed and tuned correctly.

See less See more
#2 ·
clarification on TPS enrichment

There are points that you can adjust on the TPS or MAP enrichment function. It starts at 1000, then 2000, so on...

The question is: Does "1000 RPM" represents 0-1000RPM, "2000 RPM" represent 1001-2000 RPM, so on?

OR is it "1000 RPM" represents 1000-1999RPM, 2000 reps 2000-2999?? Is the second is true, then how do you adjust low rpm enrichment?

Thanks for an awesome unit and for all the help in advance.

#7 ·
Hi. I bought the map ecu 2 from you guys.. I have a 2001 gs 300 lexus.. I put a 2jz gte vvti engine in it.. I hooked up the map 2, and was unable to get a start.. I unhooked the map 2 and the car started up.. I called your guys place and nobody was able to help me.. They sent me a email for a guy in Australia and said I would get a response back ASAP!!.. Anyways no response back and was wondering if there's a direct line i can't get my questions answered? Thanks for you time

#9 ·
hello, i have a map-ecu2. my car is 94 supra TT with 6 speed. 71mm DBB turbo, 880cc injectors, crown 264 cams, upgrade valve springs, 3" exhaust, G-force ecu with 7600RPM. is there a map for me? i have looked at map-ecu.com, i couldnot find "DOWNLOAD" to click on.

#12 ·
Os

Hi, does anyone does what the Minimum OS requirments are for the MAP ECU 2, like processor speed, what systems it supports etc? I have checked everything including the website, MAP CAL PDF & have been talking with someone in support from MAP & still no answers. The only thing I found was it needs 10MB of space.
Thanks, J

#13 ·
Hi, does anyone does what the Minimum OS requirments are for the MAP ECU 2, like processor speed, what systems it supports etc? I have checked everything including the website, MAP CAL PDF & have been talking with someone in support from MAP & still no answers. The only thing I found was it needs 10MB of space.
Thanks, J
As long is your computer isnt from mid 90's itll run it.

#18 · (Edited)
Im wiring up the mapecu2 to my usdm 6spd 95tt using an autosport wiring harness adaptor. I recieved my mapecu2 without a cdrom and was wondering if someone could send me the install guide. I also have a Jet tuned ecu that was done in 01. Will this affect the tune or how the mapecu functions? Trying to get this thing started this weekend and would appreciate some assistance. If someone could send me some good detailed pictures of your install along with wire color codes im sure i wouldnt be the only one who will appreciates it. Pictures always help in removing any install questions and doubts. Thanks to everyone in advance,
Jeffrey.

#20 ·
I have read this thread and searched here on the forums and on the map ecu forums as well as google...

I am going to be installing a map ecu1 into my 94 MKIV TT Supra. What is the amp draw of the map ecu 1?

#21 ·
Why is the reason you ask this question? Are you wondering what it is when the car is off etc?
Because I have a problem with my car and Map-ECU 1 and my battery draining pretty fast while the car is off and parked for a while.

#23 ·
I have searched the powerhouse racing site and there is no option to select Electronics under TECH I need a how to, step by step installation/wiring for the original red MAP ECU in a 1997 Supra 2jzgte I have searched and searched and have been unable to find an install guide for the map ecu into a mk4gte. any help would be appreciated

Thank you.

#27 ·
I have the MapECU3 with your plug and play harness. I have a Quick Spool Valve which is controlled by a MAC valve and a GM boost Solenoid to control boost. I wired the MAC valve into the the engine harness plug for the Exhaust Gas Control Valve VSV and wired the GM into the engine harness plug for the Waste Gate Valve VSV. I know I must cut the wire going to stock ECU for pins 39 and 60 and wire those into the MapECU. My question is, does it matter which wire goes to which switched output on the Map ECU? Wire from pin 39 to switched output #1 and wire from pin 60 to switched output #2 or vis versa? Will the MapECU be able to control the QSV thru the MAC valve?

#28 ·
I bought the MapECU2 from MVPmotorsports and the field harness from Power House Racing . My car will not start...only turns over,yes ive set the jumpers inside along with searching the forums and everything else I can think of.I thought this was suppose to be plug n play? Might have to sell it if I cant get it working and go with ProEFI 128..

#29 ·
3. How do I wire the MAP ECU into my car?

Get a factory wiring manual for your year, make, and model-specific vehicle. Or search the internet for wiring data. The MAP ECU only needs +12V power, ground, RPM signal, MAF/MAP/VKF signal, and TPS Sensor inputs. These are the very same wires used for an HKS VPC or Apexi S-AFC installation, so you can also search for help in wiring those units. If you are installing the MAP ECU into a 93-98 Supra, go to www.powerhouseracing.com and click on TECH. Then click on ELECTRONICS. Click on MAP ECU INSTALL IN SUPRA and read diagrams.

Are these Diagrams still available because I didn't find them your website. I bought a car that recently had this installed and it is doing funny things so I want to make sure all was installed correctly.

thanks in advance

#30 ·
Sup fellas. Been reading around on this forum for years, just recently registered because I now own a 2001 lexus IS300 with a aristo vvti swap. Converted from auto to manual, stock twins to single precision 61mm. 550 mkiv injectors and the bolt ons. Its been tuned on a mapecu3 and made 462hp 440trq on wastegate spring(18lbs). She was parked for a month or so till I got time to replace the starter and when I finally got around to rebuilding the starter, I started her up and she ran really lean and wouldnt stay running after she warmed up. My tuner said the stock ecu reset back to the original settings and he had to retune it. It ran again for few months, then it started acting up again. Now she idles at about 16-17 on afr, when I give it throttle,she falls are her face. pegs the wideband lean, off the charts. My tuner says it because the stock ecu has some trim or learned value in it thats messing up the tune in the mapecu. My question is, have you guys ever come across this issue? If so, any recommendations on what or how to fix? I apprecieate any and all help. thank you

gabe

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.