Supra Forums banner

2JZGE intake manifold pics ( 56K no way!!)

29K views 78 replies 39 participants last post by  SDstreetracer 
#1 ·
I just thought I would post up some pics of what ive been up to lately. I just finished this intake manifold for my friend Mike Carwins ( twincharge on the forums)supra. His car is curently in the newest issue of Dsport magazine sporting some IC piping I made for him. Anyway I unfortunalely wasnt done with the manifold in time for the photo shoot but here are some pics of it.
Its sporting a billet 90 mm TB and billet velocity stacks inside. I will be fabbing up the IC piping later this week and then hopefully we can get some dyno results after that. the car made 610 rwhp with the stock intake mani just before we took it apart so well see what it does now.

See less See more
#3 ·
the ps resevoir was relocated next to the brake master cylinder. You can see it in the pic in the upper right hand corner. As for making more intakes, I do this as a hobby in my spare time but if someone wanted one I could probably make another. Just PM me if your intrested.

#5 · (Edited)
the stacks are the radiused inlets. typically you see stacks as a raised horn, but this is a pretty reasonable approximation. Welding looks good, you could spend some time with a die grinder and papers and smooth out the outside of the runners for a more finished look, other than that it looks really good. I think this style manifold looks so much better compared to the stock ge setup.

very nice piece. You can check out my approach to a GE manifold over at clubna-t.

#8 ·
This is not a E-BAY manifold, it was hand built. The throttle body is another story.

#9 ·
That is absolutely gorgeous!:coold:

#11 ·
#13 ·
Yes it would be EASIER to hack a Thai manifold, but it is CHEAPER to make one your own.

The material for making a manifold is not that much, it is the labor that what makes the manifold to be 500$ from Thailand or even 1100$+ from respected vendors.

#19 ·
Im not sure. I made this one for a friend and didnt really intend on producing these. It really is alot of work to build one. If you or someone else really wanted one PM me and we can work something out. Like I said before its just a hobby for me that i do in my spare time so I can only do stuff on a limited basis.

#20 ·
The manifold that Josh sells is just a D Plenum bolted to the stock lower runners, not much in common with an eBay piece of crap. Josh's in house welder is fantastic, so don't go knocking his stuff when it works.

Your's does look a lot like a VW or even a eBay Thailand knock off, whether or not you've seen one goes without saying. It is a good piece of work, but I hate to tell you that velocity stacks on the Supra haven't been shown to improve drivability at all. In fact, a certain vendor on this forum switched from the Veilside to the VW because the velocity stacks disturbed the airflow more than they helped. Just a little FYI for you.

You've got pretty good skills, I'll give you that. Nice attempt....

#22 ·
First off, go back and read again. I never said his manifold looked like an ebay manifold or knocked the quality of his product. As for the velocity stack comment once again you should read again/look at pictures again. The manifold I made does not have velocity stacks protruding and disturbing airflow. They are flush if you didnt notice. The way VWR and others make theirs is to hand port the runners to make somewhat of a velocity stack. I just happened to use billet airhorns instead. just look at the RMR manifold.

#21 ·
I've never heard of an instance where velocity stacks did not improve flow. In a job I had a few years back, I spent weeks at a flow bench with velocity stacks.... they work, though they are most efficient when raised off the floor a bit.

#25 ·
air horns

We purchased them from rmr

#30 ·
good job..but it really does look like one of those ebay ones, almost identical.....veilside replica's....but hey, as long as it works, good stuff....

#33 ·
Thanks for the reply. These ebay comments have been wearing on my nerves as Ive put quite a few hours making and remaking this manifold to get it where I wanted. The reason we went with the billet velocity stacks is more for consistancy between runners as I know the radius will be the same every time rather than trusting my eye and hand porting them. I would love to see a comparison test between all of the NA manifolds around done in an unbiased facility but I honestly dont have any intentions of producing a large quantity of these. If some one wants one I will build one on a case to case basis. The reason I built this that myself, mike and a few of my other friends are the types to build things ourselves rather than rush out and buy whatever is out there. I get much more satisfaction out of knowing I actually built my car and not just assembled it. I think your manifold is a nice piece and I wish you sucess with it. As for "rwmotorsports" comment he obviously has trouble with reading comprehension since I never compared you manifold to an ebay mani. I stated that "It looks no more like an ebay mani than the manifold you sell." which is true. Anyways we will dyno the car within the next week or so and post up #s of the before and after. I bet if i posted a pic of the manifold prior to polishing the ebay comment would have never come up.

#34 · (Edited)
I bet if i posted a pic of the manifold prior to polishing the ebay comment would have never come up.
Totally, you have it shining seriously, looks like a machine did that! We dont make a crazy amount of them, just figured we would do 5 at at time, and after they sell, do another run. We have a busy shop to run and as much as id love to have us building parts like this all day long, I cant. I want to make a "gen 2" intake with the veloctiy stacks, and flow it versus the current one. Keep up the good work man, and dont sweat the comments, it was all in the polish. I think that polishing the rest of the lower runners(like you havent done enough work already!) would really set it off!

Josh@FSM

#37 ·
Looks great-- I am planning on making one kinda like that one but Im not sure on some things-- So which sensors do you have to keep and add ports for when you make one of these? What happens with the other ones- the EVAP control, and the VSV? I know how to get rid of the EGR, thats easy- but hows the ECU gonna react when you get rid of that butterfly valve that was in there??? If I do this can I still use a MAF sensor, and just control it with a S-AFC. Im on a tight budget cause im in college so I cant go all out. Ive searched countless times but I cant find the exact info I need.
One more thing- what thickness aluminum do you reccomend for the main plenum? -1/8" or something

#38 ·
At the stage your at I would recommend just keeping the stock plenum. The money would be better spent on things like standalone or fuel system upgrades. I made 610whp thru the stock plenum so it shouldnt be a restriction at lower power levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.