Seafoam / Top Engine Cleaner / MCCC ?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seafoam / Top Engine Cleaner / MCCC ?

Seafoam / Top Engine Cleaner / MCCC ?

Which of these cleaners is best for the 2JZGTE ? I've only heard of seafoam, but some people are swearing by GM's top engine cleaner and Chrystlers Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner (MCCC).

Are they all the same ? Looking to clean the fuel system and clean out any carbon.

Banned
    hmmm all are pretty much the same and matter of preference. i have experience with seafoam and mccc. i think seafoam worked a little bit better.

Hypothetically... what would happen if someone poured a bottle of this into the positive pressure side of the brake master cylinder line instead of the negative pressure one that feeds directly into the the intake manifold?

JH

Postcount ≠ Intelligence AlterEgo's Avatar
    i love seafoam...i use it on all my cars and my parents cars...i highly reccomend it, but make sure you use it right. after using it on my DD, the inside of my head looked brand new...

Stock Body Supras FTW SupraRy95's Avatar
    You know toyota has a product that they use called Top Engine Cleaner. They use it all the time on all the cars at my work. Ive also used it on my supra.

SupraForums Member hockyplyer18's Avatar
    ^ price on the toyota cleaner?

Ok, so seafoam is ok for Turbo cars?

SupraForums Member
    Anyone know which hose to use to feed the seafoam? I know there was a huge thread for this, but I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by hemogoblin View Post
    Ok, so seafoam is ok for Turbo cars?
    +1.........on that
    also how do you use it...step by step?

Quote Originally Posted by SupraRy95 View Post
    You know toyota has a product that they use called Top Engine Cleaner. They use it all the time on all the cars at my work. Ive also used it on my supra.

I'd like to know more on this as well. If you got any more info, please share if you can.

In the meanwhile, my local shop uses something called BG44K. I did a search last year on this, and quite a few threads on SF came up, regarding how good the BG44K stuff was. I would look into this as well.

I've heard that while Seafoam is good at what it does, it seems to side on the abrasive side of all these cleaners. People who have used it on higher mileage engines have found that some seals that were dry before, starting to leak a little. I'm guessing that not only does the Seafoam remove the sludge/carbon, but also a little of the seals as well. Again, this is what I've read on here. The others like Auto RX and BG44K don't have this effect on the seals.

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Mike

Seafoam has worked great for me and for around $5 you can't beat it.... I use one the intake vacuum port hoses - it's really hard to screw up the application but it has been done before. On my 78 Z - I used three different hoses along the intake.
    It blew smoke for days, the first time I did it I thought I screwed it up - but after it stops smoking reset your computer and your good to go.

I used this on my '02 avalanche that was having erractic O2 faults after (4) new sensors were replaced. It was interminent, but annoying.I also notice some spark knock under high RPMs at WOT. This lead me to believe an increase of carbon on the pistons, cumbustion chamber, etc. For $5.00, I decided to give this stuff a try. It smoked some after I allowed the brake booster hose to pull it into the engine.

So far it has showed less spark knock at high RPMs and the CEL hasn't came back on.

DP

QUOTE[Ok, so seafoam is ok for Turbo cars?]

Yes I put seafoam on my WRX as a test before putting in on the Supra and its quite remarkable the difference the car idles way smother and the i can feel better throttle response, It blew smoke for like 10 mins. (it was kinda fun to smoke the whole sub while driving)

I put 1/3 thru the brake booster, 1/3rd on the oil just before an oil change, and the last 3rd on the gas.

I recommend it!

Ok, so im going to put some in the intake mani (either thru the brake booster line, or the nipple that goes to the PS Pump) and gas tank. How much should I use? 50/50 with 1 can? or 1 can in gas tank, and half a can thru intake mani?

And do I let the intake mani suck it up until the car dies? Or just let it suck everything up and shut the car off? Im guessing its done at idle... or do I need someone keeping the RPM at a certain point?

No search = many questions.

Banned
    there will be instructions on the can.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    QUOTE[Ok, so seafoam is ok for Turbo cars?]

Yes I put seafoam on my WRX as a test before putting in on the Supra and its quite remarkable the difference the car idles way smother and the i can feel better throttle response, It blew smoke for like 10 mins. (it was kinda fun to smoke the whole sub while driving)

I put 1/3 thru the brake booster, 1/3rd on the oil just before an oil change, and the last 3rd on the gas.

I recommend it!
    when you say brake booster you mean the line that goes from it to the manifold correct???
    also they make these lill cans with a lill see through hose that you can fill with the seafoam liquid or any cleaner and let it drip like an
    I V....into the vacum system.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BIG1 View Post
    when you say brake booster you mean the line that goes from it to the manifold correct???
    also they make these lill cans with a lill see through hose that you can fill with the seafoam liquid or any cleaner and let it drip like an
    I V....into the vacum system.

Yes, the the "S"shape hose tha goes to the manifold, unplug it from the brake booster (the black drum with the brake fluid reservoir)
    Once you get the hose close to the fluid it will start to suck in seafoam, you don't want to dip the hose on seafoam, is not recomended...

Working OT
    I've never heard of people doing this. Anyone got a website or anything for the different types I'd like to do some more research. Is this a good idea to do your car?
    2007 Ford Shelby GT500 - 600+rwhp on 93 octane

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    Yes, the the "S"shape hose tha goes to the manifold, unplug it from the brake booster (the black drum with the brake fluid reservoir)
    Once you get the hose close to the fluid it will start to suck in seafoam, you don't want to dip the hose on seafoam, is not recomended...
    so just let it drip in the hose maybe with a funnel or something??

it will suck it out...

Im going to be doing this tommorow. Should I use 1 full can in the intake mani? or just half?

SupraForums Member
    You only want to use about 6-8oz if I remember correctly. I just did this on my '90 Acura and I didn't get any smoke No carbon build up I guess.

You can also put some in the gas tank as a fuel stabilizer/cleaner. Good stuff but a lot of people recommend doing it before you're about to do an oil change. Do a couple of Google searches and you'll find a lot of good info out there.

+ Reply to Thread