2jz-gte Vs. Rb26dett

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2jz-gte Vs. Rb26dett

2jz-gte Vs. Rb26dett

I've noticed that in magazines like Sport Compact Car, that a large amount of the writers/contributers for the magazine Pretty much imply, or in a couple cases say it outright that the 2JZ is the second best motor that came from a Japanese Car, The first, they say, is usually the RB26DETT, from the Nissan Skyline. We're not talking about which is the better car, but rather which is the better engine. Although I would much rather drive my Supra than a Skyline, don't get me wrong, their awesome cars. Is there any Logic to this? That alot, not all, but alot of people and Automotive writers that consider the RB26DETT Superior to the Supra 2JZ-GTE. I can't find the reason, so I'm wondering if anyone knows a reason why the RB26 is a better engine or is it a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, and since they were never officially sold in the states and only imported and since it has to go through so much red tape it costs WAY more than you could buy one in Japan For. I'm also not saying the 2JZ is better, I don't know enough about the RB26 to come to an Objective, Unbiased Opinion about which TT inline-6 is better? I would put my money on the 2JZ, but, like I said, I don't have the info to come up with an argument that would withstand scrutiny.
    Thanks for helping me understand this.

John Hand
    RPXXPR@aol.com
    PowerHouseRacing Built 1998 Supra Turbo (GT67DBB) 6-speed with too much stuff to list.
    www.PowerhouseRacing.com then click on Gallery, and about 5 cars down you'll see mine with my name (John Hand) right beside it click it and a bunch of thumbnails come up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

i can pick up a 2jz block for $200 can't do that with a rb. parts are easier to get for the 2j. i can goto the dealer and get a sensor, i can't with a mot of the rb parts.

from people that have built both motors the 2j made more power.

i think it all coes down to the rarity of the rb that lures the writers in for the win

ಠ____ರೃ
    Also, the overbore of the RB lets it rev higher, and a lot of people go nuts over revving to ridiculous amounts. However, from what I've seen, for every 11K-revving RB36, there's a 10K Supra. There have been stroked Supras revving to 9500, probably even higher. The RB is supposedly more advanced, having ITBs stock and VVT, whereas the Supra's VVT-I isn't as commonly respected, since it wasn't available on turbo models in the US, and it's a tuning nightmare from what I've heard, whereas there are plenty of full tune/stroked RBs that retain the VVT function. The RB also uses very small (though non-sequential) turbos to aid in response, but makes the Supra's TT setup look a bit more advanced.

I will admit the VVT is and advantage on the RB and is more widely supported in the tuning world than the 2j's vvt-i but i think the .4liters in displacement makes up for it

SupraForums Member
    I dig the ITB set up on RB26's but their oil pumps suck bad.. If you want to make any decent power you need to replace the oem pump with a Nismo one which cost near a $1,000. Plus the 2JZ has larger displacement, easier to find parts, and engines cost cheaper..

i think the 2JZ has proven itself by producing gobs of power even the RB can't touch, i haven't heard of an RB26 producing 4digit power numbers on a stock block. again i think it's more the exclusivity that makes the RB so coveted

I agree about the rarity being a factor, I think that rarity is an asset. There may be more 2JZ-GTE's, But the 2JZ-GTE is still VERY FAR from being common, just like the car it came in, the SupraTT. Just like, if you want a 1998 SupraTT 6spd. Only about 265 came to the States (My Source is MKIV.com). Even if you add up all the SupraTT's out there, the number is still VERY small in comparison to most sports cars. I agree about the extra displacement, I wonder how the weight of a 2JZ-GTE compares to the weight of an RB26DETT. As far as the technology of the RB26, ITB's aren't exactly cutting edge technology, they've been around forever, usually on naturally aspirated engines, I think ITB's are less advantageous on a factory Turbocharged Car than on a N/A car. Also, when it comes to making big power using a large turbo, the extra 400CC's help the 2JZ-GTE make power sooner. I definitely agree with the whole "rarity" thing. It's one of the reasons I got rid of my C5 awhile back. Their not exactly rare here in Palm Beach, and now the C6's are just as common.
    John Hand
    RPXXPR@aol.com
    PowerHouseRacing Built 1998 Supra Turbo (GT67DBB) 6-speed with too much stuff to list.
    www.PowerhouseRacing.com then click on Gallery, and about 5 cars down you'll see mine with my name (John Hand) right beside it click it and a bunch of thumbnails come up.

Banned
    no replacement for displacement 2jz is larger same strength. jz is cheaper. my vote goes to the 2jz.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    oh god and here it goes again... round 4234234324 fight.

ಠ____ರೃ
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaZZn View Post
    Hahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by ZaZZn View Post
    *cue the mortal combat music*

SupraForums Member
    i remember reading somewhere the rb head has some cooling issues at higher hp levels, like 800+. something where the coolant passages just cant keep up and can cause warping..... anyone else here that??

and just for kicks sake, the 2jz LOOKS way better.... the rb motor is slanted, and throws off the balance (LOOKS WISE!!!) of the engine bay. the 2jz has a nicely balanced engine bay, as you have your turbo, awesome valve cover, fuel rail, intake manifold. the 2jz, IMHO, is probably the best looking engine bay when all done up.

SupraForums Member
    Is the grass always greener on the other side?

People just want what they can't have.

ProEFI

'06 IS350

Its that TYTE JDM shit YO!!!!
    2010 Supra---ask Nero LOL
    2007 Busa GT35r Turbo--- 300whp
    Troy-Bilt Zero-turn---- gits 'r dun
    Troy-Bilt Weed Eater ----eats weeds

Ls1 Ftw1.
    :d

J/k

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey1226 View Post
    *cue the mortal combat music*
    Choose your destiny.

Anyway, I remember an article probably 4-5years back about the Top Secret Supra that had an RB26. They claimed it was the ultimate Japanese super car. I can't remember if that was Top Secret's view or if it was strictly from the journalist's point of view.

I think that aurgument is completely stupid....

2jz-gte = 800-900hp on stock all day long.

Rb26dett = 500-550hp stock.. but not for long...

In my mind these facts end this pointless debate.

I have both engines in cars I own and the 2jz is the best engine from the factory, for sure. an RB26 is weak from factory but can be made very strong with aftermarket parts.
    Supra Owners Group Holland
    ++
    Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most

Que RB fanboys in 3...2....

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

That said, feel free to discuss it for the millionth time, but there is no way in hell to justify the claim that the RB is up to the 2JZ standards. Stock for stock, built to the limit, or whatever. It just ain't there. Nice engine, wouldn't mind having one in something (as long as I didn't give up the 2JZ), it's better than 95% of other stuff, etc., etc., etc. But it ain't no 2JZ. Period.

I especially love it when some jackass tries to diss the 2JZ because they are "too easy" to make monster power with, and tries to use that as a negative against the engine itself. What a dumb fuck that one is. LOL

SupraForums Member
    i really like the fact that my 2j NA motor was only $300 with all accessories. you might be able to find an RB piston for that price, haha.

SupraForums Member
    Do you honestly expect anyone on here to say anything else but that the 2JZ is the best motor, since the history of mankind?

Feel free to jump on the RB boards, such as freshalloy.com, and get their viewpoint. You can probably already guess what they are going to say....lol..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

And you can add that the RB has been around longer than the 2JZ.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSiedSC300 View Post
    Choose your destiny.

Anyway, I remember an article probably 4-5years back about the Top Secret Supra that had an RB26. They claimed it was the ultimate Japanese super car. I can't remember if that was Top Secret's view or if it was strictly from the journalist's point of view.
    The article was in Superstreet or sport Compact car. It made 750 or so rwhp. . RB's have their rep because of the car they're in, the skyline. AWD, 8 second street cars on drag radials, etc. The 2J is one bad motor, period. It's pretty much a benchmark as far as big power is concerned. If someone makes more power in an LS or whatever based motor, they always have to state that they did so, but with way more displacement.
    93 Supra TT 6 sp hardtop

SupraForums Member
    Its funny because i just picked up a recent copy of super street may issue. There was an article about a 240sx with a 2jzgte 6 speed swap instead of a rb26dett. It has the pros, cons, and differences between the two. its was a good read.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast