Supra Forums banner

Antifreeze boiling over in overflow

15K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Supraofthecorn 
#1 ·
I know I know another annoying question but the search is mia.

I'm just curious to know if anyone else has experienced this. After driving, my antifreeze is bubbling and/or seems like it is boiling in the overflow tank. I have a fluidyne and there can be a few variables. I also forgot to mention that I am not overheating the temp needle stays in the middle.

My questions are:
1. Would there be obvious signs of a blown headgasket such as the red toyota antifreeze getting into the oil. (In my case no because I checked the oil).

2. Bad radiator cap/thermostat? Although I have a fluidyne I do not have a fluidyne rad cap it is a generic rad cap.

3. It has never done this before up until this week however we have been hitting 100+degree temps this week. Could it just be getting hot and I have air inside the system?

Other than that I think it might be a blown headgasket because I've been running it at the track. And I am running rich (10.9-11.0 AFR's) on 1 bar and pump gas but at the end of the night my exhaust tip is white as if there were a powdery residue on it.

I just want to get some opinions before I roll up my sleeves and tear the head off. Thanks for any help sorry for the novel, I wanted to be as specific as possible describing all my symptoms.
:thread:

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the replys everyone. Just for example, I took it out yesterday for some gas. then on the way back i did about 3 pulls. When I shut the car off the antifreeze was bubbling/boiling in the overflow tank. I didn't get a chance to see whether if it was doing this while the car was running. I had to tear off the turbo kit this afternoon to let a friend borrow it.

Thanks again for the replys.

#7 ·
When mine let go (at 7psi during clutch break-in, ironically enough), I lost coolant out the overflow and also had a very definative, audible bubbling somewhere between cylinders 2 & 5. I guess its a moot point since you cant start the car to check...BUT, even if you don't have coolant in the oil, you may have oil in the coolant. I ended up with both.

Just an FYI of my experience I guess. Hope it's nothing serious - Good luck!

#8 ·
Typically headgaskets blow between the cumbustion chanbers and the water jacket. I'm not sure why everyone is talking about oil in coolant and vise versa. I guess your not getting any smoke while driving? So there is not coolant being burned. I have never seen a HG cause bubling after the car is shut off, because there is no combustion taking place. However, if you were blowing compression into the water jacket while driving and not kowing it then when you stop it could continue to boil out the air in the system.

E

#9 ·
I had the same issue about 2 weeks ago...turns out to be a bad radiator cap. Trying changing this first, it's the least expensive thing to do before changing out your headgasket, radiator, etc. I paid 10 bucks for a new radiator cap and so far it's holding up like a champ!...Darshana S...

#10 ·
It can be air in the cooling system as well... Burp it, check the cap, etc.

Then go eat some Layton Rolls:)

#12 ·
I don't know if mine is boiling over, but after some spirited driving, some coolent is pushed into the puke tank. Well it filled up and now out the overflow. Did it before I pulled my head and replaced the gasket (unrelated issue) and after. I have never changed my radiator cap. I figure if it's not over heating or loosing power, give her hell!

#13 ·
I seem to be having a similar issue with my car the overflow cap is popping off under boosted conditions and spraying waiting on a radiator cap then burp the system again. It doesn't smoke while driving haven't found any tell tail signs in the radiator fluid or the oil that I have a blown head gasket so hoping its the cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.