how long after brand new paint, can you wash, wax, ect.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how long after brand new paint, can you wash, wax, ect.

how long after brand new paint, can you wash, wax, ect.

my car is in the shop right now getting a brand new paint job. i was wondering how long the paint needs to have before i can go back to washing/waxing ect. on it? thanx
    -Andy

92 2.3l awd dsm 11.3@124
    95 Jetta vr6 DD
    -previously a 94 T78 supra

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

ides
    short and sweet:

Previously, specific types of paints had a particular make-up (I want to say lead, but I know that I'm wrong...must be lack of sleep) that would require the paint to age/cure/breathe before anything further could be done to the surface of the car.

However, most paints used these days do not require the surface to be aged/cured/to breathe, since all of that is done beforehand.

Paint experts please chime in, mind is not coherent at the moment.

-Ides

ides
    above all:

Ask the place that you are getting your car painted.

They know their paint better, since they use it day in and day out.

I've heard anywhere from 30 days to 6 months. Depends on paint and process.

Also, you may want to consider that some places void their warranty on the paint job if anything is applied to the surface of the car while the car is supposed to "cure" for an X amount of time.

-Ides

SupraForums Member
    I just got a new paint job using PPG Paint, 7 layers of clear (3-4 wetsanded off) for a insanely deep shine. I got the car home Feb 28th, and its almost been 3 months. I was told by the shop, and a lot of high end paint shops to wait 3 months if the car doesnt see much sunlight (my car is parked in a enclosed the garage). If its parked outside and gets a lot of sun, 1-2 months is ok. As of now, im being patient and waiting for it to be exactly 3 months before i do anything to the car. It hasnt been buffed, waxed or polished. Just washed a couple times.

From what i understand, Dupont paint drys very quickly when used with common clears. So its all up to the paint you use and how experienced your paint shop is with the paint they're using.

thanks for the replys..ill ask the shop that is doing the paint how long they reccomend when i go to pick the car up.

Got Juice?
    I just got my Supra back from the paint shop. They told me 60 days before I can apply any kind of wax. I hope this helps...
    '97 Red/Targa/6sp
    SOLD!!!

Time To Buy Another One!

SupraForums Member
    When I got most of my Celica repainted they told me 30 days... I think it should be longer though.

SupraForums Member
    When I got into a accident and had to have a new fender put on and painted, they told me to handwash my car for 2 months and to not apply wax. After two months, you can take it to the car wash if you want (I personally dont like them, since they are the primary reason scratches appear on cars). Hope this kind of helps, but sure enough, I'm not a painter, so this info might not be valid. Better off just checking with your body shop.

DaCuban

Recon Man here

Hey Dudes! I own a recondition shop here in upstate NY. I have been working with paint, wet sanding materials, buffers, etc for 12 years now.
    GRITSAK- Most shops wetsand and then buff the car 2 days after they paint it. When you get the car out of the shop, wash it as much as possible with car soap only "no dish detergent" and use the softest sponges you can find. Don't leave it dirty in the sun or after it rains make sure you wipe it down. After about a month, apply a good bondage doublecoat wax like CLONITE. Most of them are made to last 6 months, "very expensive". You will be happy with the results!
    Jack B, I hope you got the PPG cheap! Seven layers is over doing it. Look at it this way.... If they wet sanded the car they had to buff it afterwards. The purpose of wetsanding is to remove any impurities in the paint along with the orange peal look left by sprayer used to apply the basecoat and clearcoat paint. SO YOUR CAR HAS SEEN A BUFFER. Don't be afraid to work with the base/clear paint. In the dealership I contract through we paint cars and I start to wet sand and buffing them 2 days later.
    I hope I helped GRIT ...
    If anyone needs some advice I would like to help anyway possible.

SupraForums Member
    I am getting a PPG 2 stage paint job. Its in the shop know. I just wnated to know:

1) You guy recommend molding my Veilside side skirts and my Veilside under spoiler to my car or should I just attatch it on?

2) when it gets out the shop, I plan on puting it in the garage for like a week or two. You say I could wash the car like everyday with just soap? Also, since you work with paints and stuff, how much do you think it will cost me to get just a Bomex front bumper painted?

DaCuban

Paints and washing or waxing

Hey dudes!
    After the car gets out of the shop, MAKE SURE you DO 2 things...... Wash it when its dirty and wipe it of after a rain. The reason is this. ITs like holding a magnafing glass to the paint and burning a hole using the sun. The dirt, water, or particles that are left on the surface can pigment the paint from the sun beating thru them. New paint is weaker cause it needs time to cure.
    Your bumper is fiberglass or poly. This is what the body shop has to do to paint it.
    It has to be prep sanded
    then wiped with solvent
    then sprayed with a adherant primer made for poly or fiberglass then base painted ? many times
    then clearcoated ? how many times
    THen wet sanded if needed
    It is easy to make a judement of how much it should cost without knowing whats invloved. I suggest painting the bumper with it on the car because sometimes they dont fit exact and you maybe handling it alot. If you put it on first then paint it, there is less chance that it will get scratched, etc. Your looking at about 175.00 to 250.00, including materials, and thats just incase your paint is metallic, or has pearl in it, "more expensive". Thats what I think. Some body shops may differ.

Remember- Detailers are artists. The more work you put into your piece the better the finished product will be.

Mr Tyler MKIV

From My experiences :/

My supradawg has had more paint jobs than blowjobs lately
    But to answer your question, After a House of Kolor Kameleon paint job, the painting artist told me to wait 3 months before any waxing or washing. If it got to much, i just ragged it with a wet hand towel. So that was 3 months. Then I chose a Lexus/Toyota color of the Lexus 430 model (White Gold) afer getting soo many tickets and losing my liscense. Nunzi, the painter in NYC told me not to paint for 60 days. All in all, I would suggest waiting 60-90 days. And just d some light washing if/when needed.

Hope ya get a good paint job,

Mr. MKIV
    Attached Images

thanx everyone for the replys.

i got the car back a few days ago and it looks amazing. the paint is sooo smooth now, it feels like glass. anyways, the shop told me not to wax the car for a couple months, but that it was alright to wash and even use the quick detail spray wax if i wanted.

if anyone is interested, heres a picture of the car nice and freshly painted

iwanacar
    How much does it cost to get a nice red paint job like that?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text