LSD or locked?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LSD or locked?

Tenshi Dake
    What would you recommend for a newbie drifter? Welded or LSD?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

LSD. its hard NOT to drift with a welded one, and since you're learning you'll end up losing control when you dont want to drift. unless its only a drift car.
    My daily driver
    1990 Toyota Supra
    Tein HR, 7MGE w/HKS 1mm HG, welded diff.
    Click here to enlarge

you can't weld the stock clutch pack, only the open diffs. Welded diffs are fun, when ever I turn slowly i always feel my tires squeeking, but the sound inside the car reminds me of understeer. LOL. BTW this is in my ae86, not supra.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

god understeer is scary

go with the tomei 2 way

i still have the welded on

i was always told as long as you weld it right and in multiple spots and not just pile weld on top of weld, you shouldnt have any worries with it breaking. then again they did say the iphone was unlockable.

I welded my 240 and it drifts beyond cherry.

The MKIV, however, maybe not. LSD. All around fun.

SupraForums Member
    dont listen to these guys. i daily drive my welded diff and have no problems. I have about 100whp in my 240sx and outdrive porches/vettes/ect on onramps/offramps and pull in closer to people on road racing courses.

edit: jesus christ read the rest of the posts. i can 100% for sure tell you that the guys telling you to get lsds are guys who are sub 20years old and have parents buying them crap. I've driven on both and honestly, a kaaz 2way in my 240 feels just like my welded diff. the tires dont really "hop" although for some reason, 90% of the internet community describes this as so. way to go keyboard cowboys. the wheels scuff around in parking lots. no big deal. let me call everyone who complains about understeer a bitch. run proper tire sizes and it isnt a problem. If you are running 205s in the front and 275s in the rear with an lsd/welded/vlsd....anything that puts power to both wheels, you will understeer. i run 215s in the front and 235s in the rear with a stock sohc KA24(e) and have no issues of understeer. I can take onramps/offramps top of third gear without losing any control. as for rain.....youll have just as much problem with an lsd as you would a welded. first rain of the season in so cal is squirrely due to the oil on the ground.

the BENEFIT to a locked diff is that it is 100% predictable. you know that it is locked up at all times, and drive accordingly. you EXPECT it to come out in the rain. I can tell you that a 2way will come out just as hard in the rain....but new drivers think that because they paid $900 for a good lsd, that they can drive harder.

i go to drift events once every month, or every other month. I daily my car 50mi each way to work and back every day. if you are going over 5mph...you cannot notice the "wheel hop" (its seriously wheel rubbing or scuffing on the ground).
    Last edited by powerjon; 12-07-2007 at 11:29 AM.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crx378 View Post
    i was always told as long as you weld it right and in multiple spots and not just pile weld on top of weld, you shouldnt have any worries with it breaking. then again they did say the iphone was unlockable.

we threw in some beads between the gears to to make sure the welds held. i've been driving the diff welded for over 2 years.

I have the factory lsd. Can i still weld my diff or do i need to get an open diff and weld that one?

Quote Originally Posted by driftmkthree View Post
    I have the factory lsd. Can i still weld my diff or do i need to get an open diff and weld that one?
    you need to get an open diff. i'll trade ya!

I have 2 stock lsd's with 45000 miles and 1 open diff if anyone is interested. I'll let them go for cheap.

Banned
    30 bucks

SupraForums Member
    LSD is the way to go
    1984 Celica Supra, 7MGTE, 3" DP to 2.5" catback,Magnaflow muffler,Sparco 383 Suede,Sparco Corsa,AGXs, Addco Bars,TSC bar,LJM,GC Coilovers, Eibach springs,T3 Camber,T3 RCA,Dobinsons, SuperPro rear & PST front,16x8 Circle Racing,Cressida Lip,JK BBK,PG Power Brute LSD,black interior
    Click here to enlarge

Found E85 NOT in NJ! twinturbosupra94's Avatar
    I remember all the MKIV supra guys that have a TRD LSD have NEVER broken one YET

Orido broke his TRD unit...

so ur telling me its better to weld my diff then find a way to get a 6 speed diff in my na-t which im making 475rwhp

SupraForums Member
    depends what you do with the car. i have a minispool and love it, its predicatable, i kinda like the chirping (gets attention lol) and its hella cheap compared to an LSD, and it will never need to be rebuilt like an LSD, however you will ware tyres out quicker. i drive my car every day, and it doesnt bother me, although you may htink its a bit nicer to have a propper LSD

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_the_7M View Post
    i bet you get hardcore tire wear with a locked diff tho.
    i used to have a welded diff on my 240sx and ae86, tire wear went up, but not by alot. i loved the welded diff, well at least for a 240sx or an ae.

Quote Originally Posted by crx378 View Post
    haha, i broke mine in my ae86, damn person who weld it sucked! welded diff are the shit to drift in. way more predictable then an open diff, but i dont know about the turbo lsd. is it easy to drift w/ that?

Quote Originally Posted by powerjon View Post
    dont listen to these guys. i daily drive my welded diff and have no problems. I have about 100whp in my 240sx and outdrive porches/vettes/ect on onramps/offramps and pull in closer to people on road racing courses.

edit: jesus christ read the rest of the posts. i can 100% for sure tell you that the guys telling you to get lsds are guys who are sub 20years old and have parents buying them crap. I've driven on both and honestly, a kaaz 2way in my 240 feels just like my welded diff. the tires dont really "hop" although for some reason, 90% of the internet community describes this as so. way to go keyboard cowboys. the wheels scuff around in parking lots. no big deal. let me call everyone who complains about understeer a bitch. run proper tire sizes and it isnt a problem. If you are running 205s in the front and 275s in the rear with an lsd/welded/vlsd....anything that puts power to both wheels, you will understeer. i run 215s in the front and 235s in the rear with a stock sohc KA24(e) and have no issues of understeer. I can take onramps/offramps top of third gear without losing any control. as for rain.....youll have just as much problem with an lsd as you would a welded. first rain of the season in so cal is squirrely due to the oil on the ground.

the BENEFIT to a locked diff is that it is 100% predictable. you know that it is locked up at all times, and drive accordingly. you EXPECT it to come out in the rain. I can tell you that a 2way will come out just as hard in the rain....but new drivers think that because they paid $900 for a good lsd, that they can drive harder.

i go to drift events once every month, or every other month. I daily my car 50mi each way to work and back every day. if you are going over 5mph...you cannot notice the "wheel hop" (its seriously wheel rubbing or scuffing on the ground).
    dido, most of the ppl who talk shit about welded diff on forums havent even drove a car w/ one. he should try it out see if he likes it, if not go w/ the lsd. i love mines, it clunks on slow turns, but ull get use to it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Greenthumb View Post
    i used to have a welded diff on my 240sx and ae86, tire wear went up, but not by alot. i loved the welded diff, well at least for a 240sx or an ae.
    i suppose it depends on how you drive with a locked diff.

SupraForums Member
    It's simply a cheap way to start . Just weld it , then buy suspension parts and some other stuff with the 900 bucks you'll have saved by not puting in a LSD . (mistake i've done , got a KAAZ in mine)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text