FIRST STATE MOTORSPORTS and another shop...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FIRST STATE MOTORSPORTS and another shop...

i need horsepower

Question FIRST STATE MOTORSPORTS and another shop...

This is a much long overdue attempt at giving them the props they deserve.

My story in short:
    oct. 2006 - had my car in a "shop", which got me (after much waiting) a "JDM supra GTE" which turned out to be an aristo motor. After MUCH time the motor is in, but it isnt starting, but has started, but it stops, the ignitor box keeps popping, turns out to be the 5spd tach, change that, the brand new wiring harness is funky, blah blah, it ran great, but the usdm 2nd turbo blew, the 1st turbo news oil seals, now back to the jdm turbos, the 1st turbo is gone, oil line needed. blah blah. Doesnt answer my calls, i have to drive out 40 mins jus to ask what is going on at least 4 times, sometimes hes just closed, wife is sick, family tragedys left and right suddenly when I just wanted to get my car back. Had not seen my car this whole time. Was even denied a request to see my car, since he had to head to a car show in 20 mintues and didnt have time for the ten minute ride over to his "off site location" aka garage at home where he had my car.
    8 months later- got my non-running car back after getting thrown a bill, a $5k+ bill...not including the price of the motor 2500, and the 1500 in order to "subsidize" the labor over such a LONG period of time Which I alrdy paid.
    Name of this said "shop"? i wouldnt wanna defame any in our community so Ill give u a small subtle hint: it starts with a F- and ends with a -uzion.

disclaimer for the shops sake: the shop has since i last talked to him, has stopped doing crazy complicated engine swaps such as the aristo-supra swaps, unless the customer buys all parts directly from him...blah blah. Case in point, if you need to go single, bring a COMPLETE kit and a USDM GTE and he can do it. Anything more than that expect to have your time and money wasted. HAnds down the most costly mistake I have ever made in my life.

I then took off the twins in my garage and had it towed to First State MotorSports, why oh why could I just say their name straight out without having to give subtle hints abt it?? read on

THeir shop had their actual space where they worked on the car in the same location...wow
    they told me everything straight up, and always called me back.
    I basically wanted a single on the car now since the other shop had me scared the twins would prob explode the moment I drove the car.
    SO we opted for an up coming newer basic sp61 kit, which turned out to be delayed project at SP. We then decided to go with a custom kit, centered around a new up and coming manifold being made over the summer, but in the end it didnt flesh out. Each time that happened Josh at FSM was immediately on the phone calling ME...yes thats right calling me, even tho I was far away from philly, all the way in cali for the entire summer driving my mother-in-laws SL500. Not me calling him and him not answering and then me having to drive out and ask him in person...
    I finally decided enough was enough and I just bought the BL manifold. At that point the car came together in 2.5 weeks. They had it started and running sooner...using all the same used maf, ecu etc.
    I also found out the other shop still has my denso fuel pump, which they never put in by the way.

I got the car back late oct. 1 yr later
    PTE 61, BL mani, stock fuel, their Custom Intake manifold (yes i offically have the first one made for the GTE). Running nicely on the time bomb 5 spd ( which has tire grilling gearing by the way). Drove it many times. few weeks later one of the caps they used to cap off the water lines which originally led to the twins blew off. Took it back to their place, they replaced it in 20 min and had me on my way. Since then I have had the car going 140-150 mph (on a road which had a 151 mph speed limit of course) many a times, a trip down to maryland, where I also again encoutnered those rare 151 mph limit roads 3 more times. blah blah.

If I had to go anywhere again for work on the car, ill take my chances with FSM. Heck i'd bet my daugther whos due the 17th.

IN THE END:

I spent a ton of money on the car, more than most people here would spend on their car and prob end up with double the hp I have, But FSM made it worth it. With all the negative bullshit I went thru, I had forgotten how much I loved the car, that to me it was more than a car. Instead it had just become a financial and emotional burden, a car that was not worth the trouble and money. First state made me remember that this raggidy NA supra had become something crazy, something I would never want to sell to recoupe my losses, something that I dreamed abt, something that will forever carry the sentimental value of nailing my wife back on our 6th date all over the passenger, driver and rear seats, the excitement I got from driving the car late at night along PCH with friends back in cali, some of the looks that I got when I drove the car, the ricerish excitement i got after getting an exhaust, why random people took pics of my car, why I only ate eggos and cup ramen for an entire summer while I worked fulltime just so I could get the wheels, tires and suspension. The moment I heard that wastegate open and felt the car go sideways as I floored it on the I95 the night I picked up the car, I remembered. HUGE thanks to Josh, Dan and Everyone else at FSM for building my car, and importantly for helping me remmeber, that in the end when it comes to these cars, it is worth every god damn f*cking penny.

edit- past tense, sorry
    Last edited by old man celica; 12-11-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    95 SE, 5spd TT swap + t61
    552rwhp on 93 octane

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Josh is a good guy and takes care of his customers, I personally haven't done any business with him yet but I've heard very great reviews.

Edit: Any pics of the FSM Intake Mani?
    Last edited by plex; 12-11-2007 at 09:45 AM.

i need horsepower
    ill get a members rides thread open prob thursda or friday. Im in the mist of finals and wrote this out while taking a study brk.

Banned
    Brings a tear to my eye Fred....

....We all felt so bad for your situation, and it made us feel like a million bucks to be able to step in and save the day. I kept telling you this was supposed to be fun, not the trying emotional/financial burden you were put through. The first time I drove the car, I remember thinking that you were going to tear up when you got in it for the first time Our house is your house Fred, and hopefully the only thing we see you for is a 6 speed swap and more boost in the future!

Just a suggestion to any other small shop owners that may be reading this:

Keep in contact with your customers. Call them before they call you. Sure, it can get annoying when someone calls everyday, but a huge part of your JOB is to keep them in the loop and happy. Parts can take forever, mistakes can be made, but keeping someone informed is always going to prevail and keep them confident in your desire to do the job correctly.

Josh@FSM
    Last edited by The Quickness; 12-11-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    FSM
    Induction Performance
    Induction Performance FB
    FL2K
    Tuning(AT)InductionPerformance(DOT)com (PLEASE E-MAIL ME)
    Check the Marketplace for deals from Induction Performance
    TX2K11 - Supra Nationals Sponsor
    TX2K12 - Supra Nationals Sponsor
    TX2K13 - Texas Nationals Sponsor
    FL2K13 - Florida Nationals Presenter/Sponsor
    TX2K14 - Texas Nationals Sponsor

DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME. E-MAIL TUNING@INDUCTIONPERFORMANCE.COM

Quote Originally Posted by The Quickness View Post

Just a suggestion to any other small shop owners that may be reading this:

Keep in contact with your customers. Call them before they call you. Sure, it can get annoying when someone calls everyday, but a huge part of your JOB is to keep them in the loop and happy. Parts can take forever, mistakes can be made, but keeping someone informed is always going to prevail and keep them confident in your desire to do the job correctly.

Josh@FSM
    Josh,

Even though I haven't met you, this statement should be enforced when ANYONE sells items personally and does not meet the original scheduled ship date. I continously stay in contact with any buyer just allow for satisfaction of knowing that what they purchased is in route or about to be in route.

The sad thing is that is no more than common sense.

DP

-Do more with less......

'95 MKIV T 6-spd Targa MoTeC, AP 3.4L, SP F1, Tilton, Precision, Recaro, Bilstein, ID, Boostlogic, PHR, ETS....

SupraForums Member
    I, too, have dealt with Josh @ First State Motorsports. I purchased his FSM NA-T intake manifold kit and too received EXCELLENT service.

He always returned phone calls if he was not in the shop. He also would call me out of the blue to give me updates on the status of parts. Before the sale he answered my PM's in a timely manner (mostly within 24 hr period). He is also VERY knowledgeable about these cars and how they *SHOULD* be put together, and also the industry in general.

OP, glad to hear everything turned on great in the end!

Two Thumbs up for Josh and the crew at FSM.

-Mike
    Michael J. Gallagher
    Pensacola, FL
    1996 BMW M3 Turbo and many bent rods

LOL....I rmember I called in everyday for a update.

I guess the white supra been sitting in the shop is yours old man celica.I see it everytime I go there.

FSM Great service!

ex BPU'er
    Wow, I heard about them in another forum I frequent, and from the comments I've received there, they seem to be the place to go to
    1997 Supra TT- PT67/Vipec/HKS/AEM/SSR
    2004 G35 Coupe -Brembo pkg- daily/track
    1994 SC300- PT61/AEM V1- the "project"- future track car
    2010 G37x Sedan- Wife's

Edge On The GE-T Epidemic PhasTsupRa's Avatar
    They have done quite a bit of work for me. Full 6spd swap , Custom IC piping, FSM Intake and we have a pending motor build. As iv stated before i trust Josh's and Dan's hands as much as my own! superb work and awsome guys.
    "Its fast but its not a Supra"
    94 SUPRA 2JZGE-T VRP76X DBB , AEM EMS, 1000cc Fuel, 6spd

Tuned By:Justin Nenni
    First State Motorsports
    95 Lexus SC300 Teal mist sleeper
    2003 Mitsubish Evolution8 Whiteless white , BPU 12.3 @108

SupraForums Member
    I went out to a meet they had at there shop once. Those guys knew what they were doing for sure, deffintly some of the craziest guys out there too. tore it up big time in the lot. and josh with that sc. saw that thing light um up pretty nicely.

03' BMW X5 4.6is
    98' Black TT 6speed
    08' ltd. edt. 1000rr 307/500

SupraForums Member
    josh is awsome! i have my fsm intake manifold in my NA-T!

Is it turbo? Is it stick? TROLL's Avatar
    two thumbs up for FSM (from TST )

and josh... that SC is yours??? wow. i have got to check that thing out... looks amazing.

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

Banned
    i too am a california FSM user.

these guys are building my sc300, that quite honestly i could have had anybody build here in ca. BUT, josh dan and mikey have my respect and $$$$ to do the job i need done, which speaks volumes.

fellas let me put it this way, when my sc is done, i will be shipping my supra (pristine)hardtop with 40k miles to them to do the current setup again and better along with a hks fully built motor. THATS FAITH.

to the thread starter: i visited the shop when your car was there, let me tell you as a customer, the way they treated your car, is how i wanted my car treated.
    thats why i do business with the boys there.

+1 and then some to FSM. i should relocate you guys here. it would make travel easy on me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bens sc View Post
    +1 and then some to FSM. i should relocate you guys here. it would make travel easy on me.
    Haha, you should do that, I dont think LA would mind us one bit

Quote Originally Posted by 95BLKsnag View Post
    I went out to a meet they had at there shop once. Those guys knew what they were doing for sure, deffintly some of the craziest guys out there too. tore it up big time in the lot. and josh with that sc. saw that thing light um up pretty nicely.
    Man, that was a great day. This spring, we will for sure have something serious that will most certainly get us evicted this time!

Thanks guys, we work/stress/live in this shop and its nice to know that people are aware of the commitment.

Josh@FSM

U didnt spell out Fuzion because u didnt want me to find this thread and reply

ok 2 sides to every story so heres mine....

Fred has left out some very important details, you know like the ones that would have convicted OJ if they werent inadmissable.

First off your swap was not crazy or at all complicated in comparison to any swaps I have done succesfully. The problem with your swap was very simple:

IN AN EFFORT TO SAVE A FEW DOLLARS YOU BOUGHT ALL THE PARTS YOURSELF MOSTLY USED.

I price match so that was not even necessary. And was not presented to me until after I gave you the labor quote for the entire build which was only $1800. That included several other mods in addition to just the swap.

The few parts u purchased new you bought online not through Curt who also price matches.

Now once I finish putting everything together correctly and there are issues where do I start?

After going over all my work thoroughly ensuring im not at fault I have to start swapping out used parts that I cant vouch for.

Ignitor box that was failing was supplied by you and purchased used from a seller I couldnt contact.

The wiring harness was bought from who knows where it was taped in cheap plasticy brittle tape and loom. The wire colors were faded looking and were of the wrong gauge wire and also the incorrect strand count (they used thick low strand). It was a reproduction harness not Toyota.

All of the critical parts were supplied by you and were purchased for the cheapest price u could find them. "Ecu"

This wasnt my first turkey shoot I have dealt with this problem before and that is why I always make.it crystal clear to customers that I am not responsible for additional labor caused by used parts that are supplied by the customer.

After spending over 100 ADDITIONAL man hours diagnosing your broken parts the car finally started. For the record it was a combination of your fake harness not supplying enough voltage to several components that do a wide range of crazy shit when interacting with the rest of the electrical system thats being supplied the correct voltage. After 2 weeks of routing wires from a donor harness one by one trying to remedy the problem I determined that I could not delay other builds any longer and I could not afford to pay my techs to work on it. I still worked on it myself as often as I could. U lost patience and picked it up which I suggested since I could not afford to lose any more time on it since it was taking up a lift the entire time.

I only charged u the quoted price of $1800 plus hourly labor for work u added to the build after the quote.

I didnt make a dime on parts. Most shops not only will not install parts not purchased there but never use used parts not obtained through them. And there was no sense in it I could have got all the same prices on the parts and they would have been tested and my supplier would have sent me 2 of everything the moment there was an issue.

Then it takes a second shop the whole summer to get it running and u praise them and try and ruin Fuzions rep?

I should have charged you for every hour I spent on your car the first week and then just told you to pick it up, everythings installed correctly I made it clear I could not guarantee the performance of customer supplied parts

SupraForums Member
    Wow! Five year bump...

Vertex Body Kit/ AutoCouture Latives 20" x 9"(F), 20" x 11"(R)/ 2006 Black Diamond Color/ GTE Short Block / Hypertune Set up/ Precision Billet BB 7675/
    ID 2000cc/ Titan 272 Cams/ Greddy Four Row/ AEM / Getrag 6 speed Trans/ RPS 6 Puck/ TT Diff / Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust/ Brembo Front & Rear Big Brake Kit/Tein CS Coilovers/ Black Chrome & Chrome Engine Dress

Guess this is the other shop's response.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked SC View Post
    Wow! Five year bump...
    I would have responded immediately had I known of this threads existence. It was cleverly written so that it does not come up in a search for fuzion. Fortunately that dreaded live search is always cutting off the first letter when it loads and I searched for uzion. Notice the time gap between when he picked up his car and creating this thread?

Most importantly I want everyone to know I am in no way trying to take anything away from First State.
    In fact Dan and I have been very close freinds since our teens. How close? Well we always worked together (4 different jobs) and shared several bachelor pads. Christ we even dated 2 blonde cousins that were likep twins. When I started my shop Dan helped me immensely and was essential. His mechanical and fabrication skills are unmatched but what really sets him apart is how fast he can complete a job and not sacrifice precision and quality. When he left to start FSM I hired 2 full time techs to do the work he did alone.

Is this still unresolved:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...on-motorsports

Why the 5-year-long? Does it really matter, now?
    | BoostLogic | BRIDE | TRD | COMP | Work | TRUST | HKS | Advan | RPS | ID | KW |
    | 1997 Toyota Supra Turbo | Built Head/Block | Billet 6265 | Custom Targa Brace |
    | 1977 Toyota Celica Liftback - 1970s Japanese Street Tuning Style |

Alpha Tuned - 610RWHP ProEFI

CARMA PERFORMANCE - ERIN CARPENTER - NASHVILLE, TN
    Do not have this joker tune or perform work on your car. Period.

It's been a GREAT 13 years here on Supraforums.

^^^I remember that thread looks like nothing became of it or it wasn't posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Moody View Post
    Is this still unresolved:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...on-motorsports

Why the 5-year-long? Does it really matter, now?
    Was never unresolved the car was in perfect condition it didnt have bent wheels or faded paint he paid $10k for a car that had a $10k paint job. I never knew this thread existed as I stated in my post. I also PM'd Old Man Celica to give him the opportunity to respond my statements a courtesy that I was never given.

Quote Originally Posted by plex View Post
    ^^^I remember that thread looks like nothing became of it or it wasn't posted.
    Does anyone ever post SORRY i was mistaken everything turned out good?
    Its way more fun to jump to rediculous conclusions and call people names and light up some torches for all the town people.

+ Reply to Thread