NA W58 Tranny HP Levels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NA W58 Tranny HP Levels

NA W58 Tranny HP Levels

I was just wondering if anyone knew or have had personal experiances with this. I was curious of what the average horsepower and torque limits of a stock W58 tranny and rear diff were. I am building a project car and I am shooting for 600WHP by the time I am done. I will probably eventually go with LSD in the rear diff, but not yet. I just want to get the car running and driveable first. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mephestopheles View Post
    Thanks, this is going to be a weekend car, so it definitely wont be beaten on very often. Anybody else have any thoughs, links, or experiences?

Welcome to the forums. This has been covered many many times. Do a search I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Tons of threads on this.

Day~ 93.5 NA-T // PT67 // Auto // MoTeC M600 // Hardtop // White
    Night~ 94 TT // PT67 Single // Auto // Targa // Black

i need horsepower
    consensus: 400rwhp+
    weak point is the top of third gear.

Quote Originally Posted by atownkid View Post
    Welcome to the forums. This has been covered many many times. Do a search I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Tons of threads on this.
    Thanks for the welcome. I searched, but I always like to hear new up to date
    information.

Quote Originally Posted by old man celica View Post
    consensus: 400rwhp+
    weak point is the top of third gear.
    Thanks for the tip

Im sittin at about 550 but Im not doing any hard pulls until I get a back up tranny.

Blog Entries
    where do you guys source out new trannies and whats a good price on them? 200-300?

Weakness-Beautiful Women IggySupra's Avatar
    Yupp...i say like 430-480whp would hold fine if you drive it chilled, and take care of it..also make sure you keep in mind how many miles it has..oviously more miles wouldnt risk more whp on it...

i tried to order a new trans through champion toyota but the w58 for my car is discontinued.

SupraForums Member BLaCkHoWLiNG's Avatar
    i've ran 600hp on wheel with 69.8kg of torque... seems ok...but daily driven on lower settings at approx 450hp or so... been running 3 years.. no prob...

2JZ NA-T
    its all about how you drive it, if you can keep your foot of the gas and ure boost low, it should last you at any hp level, but for me, i blew 2 w58's in a matter of 2 months running only 440whp and 470ft/lbs of torque, but i must say, i am boost hapy and boost every chance i get

Someone on here (Kirk maybe?) had 600+ on his for a few years before it finally let go, and it ended up giving loose in 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by GForce View Post
    Someone on here (Kirk maybe?) had 600+ on his for a few years before it finally let go, and it ended up giving loose in 5th.
    Are you talking about me? The only thing it let loose in 5th was an ass whoopin.... The original tranny is still intact, as a matter of fact Supra_punk owns my old black car and can attest to it.

I had a 5SP in my NA-TT Supra, it drove fine and eventually let go in the 450rwhp range. At first I thought it was due to a previous build error (did not know the history of the transmission before I owned it), but upon opening it up and inspecting the transmission it completely chewed up the input shaft. I don't know the history of the transmission, don't know how it was driven before me, etc... I do know the car jerked around alot on decel which I later found out it was missing a bushing on the rear diff and I am sure the violent jerking motion didn't help the transmission at all.

Most people break 3rd gear which is why on the 5SP I just tell people to take it easy on 3rd.. stick to 4th gear pulls.
    Kirk - 95 Hardtop
    BL375R, AEM V2, Hypertune, HKS 272, FIC2150

EMAIL ME, KIRK(AT)THEBOOSTLAB.COM

Time for change
    Didn't you cryo your W58?
    I plan on doing that, I'm not sure if I'm going to try and put the whole tranny in, or if I'm going to try and pull it apart. I don't feel confident in separating all of the internals of the tranny, so I'm just hope that the seals in the tranny don't get damaged when cryoing.

I've cryoed a whole FWD auto tranny before, and it held up just fine.

The cryo won't help much with part stretch, but it does a fantastic job on improving surfaces, and greatly reducing fracturing,
    Last edited by Beau; 03-07-2008 at 03:18 PM.

2JZ NA-T
    i think cryoing would be a waste of money, drive it untill it breaks and then just upgrade.....

and the reason the 3rd gear is the one that lets go most of the time (I THINK*) is b/c most people do their pulls in 3rd gear and it seems like the slimest of the gears

Time for change
    I dunno, I'd say for <$300 cryoing would be beneficial for some people, like myself. WHo has very limited access to swapping out transmissions at a whim, and would like to spend a few hundred extra bucks to prolong the engaging process of a swap... I've had good luck with cryoing a modern FWD GM auto before so I'm going to give it a shot when I swap my clutch, and PP out.

SupraForums Member
    My NA has 589rwhp on pump gas but I need more boost so I'm 6speed now W58 will last as long you not power shifting

Thanks for a lot of great input. At least I am starting to get an idea of do's and donts and be careful abouts for the w58.

Just be careful with it and you will be fine. Don't beat on it.. and I personally try not to boost so much in 3rd gear.

Time for change
    Thats kind tough, not to boost in third. Second gear is kinda short, and 4th is a little tall. DOH!

Ok, just asking if I have a supra mk3 with a 7mgte it will be the same case... can I go over 500HP or I`ll have to keep it between 450HP?

The thing is that I want to use simple things before going big... So basically by having a 7mgte sotck I`m putting a fuel pressure regulator, walbro fuel pump, 550cc injectors, MHG, Lexus MAF, FCD, a t60-1 turbo 3 inch downpipe, tial Bov, HKS wastegate, 31x12x3 intercooler, 3 inch intercooler piping, and some minor things.... But I`m wondering what clutch could be better from clutchmaster
    -fx400
    -fx500
    -fx725 kelvar disc
    -fx725 solid bronce disc

SupraForums Member
    wow, i was reading 300 whp for a w58 but thats kind of good to know that they can handle a little more, i think an NA putting down 350+ whp is pretty respectable for a DD, enough oomph to get around the slow drivers in the fast lanes...

i know mine wouldnt make it but im sure a simple rebuild would be worth it, better mounts, TRD knob and shifter and TRD LSD with the ring and pinion change to lower my highway cruising rpms.. or would the stock one be better for acceleration???

Quote Originally Posted by corn_not_rice View Post
    wow, i was reading 300 whp for a w58 but thats kind of good to know that they can handle a little more, i think an NA putting down 350+ whp is pretty respectable for a DD, enough oomph to get around the slow drivers in the fast lanes...

i know mine wouldnt make it but im sure a simple rebuild would be worth it, better mounts, TRD knob and shifter and TRD LSD with the ring and pinion change to lower my highway cruising rpms.. or would the stock one be better for acceleration???
    OK but I want more than 350hp, basically 450hp as minimum but for dairy use 250hp or 300hp no more than that for dairy use

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text