Supra Forums banner

NA W58 Tranny HP Levels

41K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  AlterEgo 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knew or have had personal experiances with this. I was curious of what the average horsepower and torque limits of a stock W58 tranny and rear diff were. I am building a project car and I am shooting for 600WHP by the time I am done. I will probably eventually go with LSD in the rear diff, but not yet. I just want to get the car running and driveable first. What do you guys think?

#4 ·
Welcome to the forums. This has been covered many many times. Do a search I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Tons of threads on this.

#7 ·
Im sittin at about 550 but Im not doing any hard pulls until I get a back up tranny.

#12 ·
its all about how you drive it, if you can keep your foot of the gas and ure boost low, it should last you at any hp level, but for me, i blew 2 w58's in a matter of 2 months running only 440whp and 470ft/lbs of torque, but i must say, i am boost hapy and boost every chance i get

#14 ·
Are you talking about me? The only thing it let loose in 5th was an ass whoopin.... :lol: The original tranny is still intact, as a matter of fact Supra_punk owns my old black car and can attest to it.

I had a 5SP in my NA-TT Supra, it drove fine and eventually let go in the 450rwhp range. At first I thought it was due to a previous build error (did not know the history of the transmission before I owned it), but upon opening it up and inspecting the transmission it completely chewed up the input shaft. I don't know the history of the transmission, don't know how it was driven before me, etc... I do know the car jerked around alot on decel which I later found out it was missing a bushing on the rear diff and I am sure the violent jerking motion didn't help the transmission at all.

Most people break 3rd gear which is why on the 5SP I just tell people to take it easy on 3rd.. stick to 4th gear pulls.

#15 · (Edited)
Didn't you cryo your W58?
I plan on doing that, I'm not sure if I'm going to try and put the whole tranny in, or if I'm going to try and pull it apart. I don't feel confident in separating all of the internals of the tranny, so I'm just hope that the seals in the tranny don't get damaged when cryoing.

I've cryoed a whole FWD auto tranny before, and it held up just fine.

The cryo won't help much with part stretch, but it does a fantastic job on improving surfaces, and greatly reducing fracturing,

#17 ·
I dunno, I'd say for <$300 cryoing would be beneficial for some people, like myself. WHo has very limited access to swapping out transmissions at a whim, and would like to spend a few hundred extra bucks to prolong the engaging process of a swap... I've had good luck with cryoing a modern FWD GM auto before so I'm going to give it a shot when I swap my clutch, and PP out.

#23 ·
The thing is that I want to use simple things before going big... So basically by having a 7mgte sotck I`m putting a fuel pressure regulator, walbro fuel pump, 550cc injectors, MHG, Lexus MAF, FCD, a t60-1 turbo 3 inch downpipe, tial Bov, HKS wastegate, 31x12x3 intercooler, 3 inch intercooler piping, and some minor things.... But I`m wondering what clutch could be better from clutchmaster
-fx400
-fx500
-fx725 kelvar disc
-fx725 solid bronce disc

#24 ·
wow, i was reading 300 whp for a w58 but thats kind of good to know that they can handle a little more, i think an NA putting down 350+ whp is pretty respectable for a DD, enough oomph to get around the slow drivers in the fast lanes...

i know mine wouldnt make it but im sure a simple rebuild would be worth it, better mounts, TRD knob and shifter and TRD LSD with the ring and pinion change to lower my highway cruising rpms.. or would the stock one be better for acceleration???

#27 ·
509 whp (mustang dyno) 567 whp (dynojet) NA-T here with RPS Street Disc on the W58 5-Speed. I've got a C's shifter as well and the trans has held fine for approximately 6,000 miles now. As long as you don't constantly run from a dig and/or beat on the transmission it should last fairly long, but as soon as you start going over 600 whp I would suggest looking into a back up transmission, such as the MKIII R154. I'm looking to get one myself this offseason.

#34 ·
What you've been told is based off other people's experiences and driving styles. There are plenty of people running the w58 with 500+ whp safely without issues. It just depends if you beat the shit out of your car or not.

My rule of thumb is this, if you are shooting for 500 whp the W58 is fine and SHOULD hold up. If you want to break into the 600+ whp range either try a SPEC twin disc clutch ($1500) for the W58, I've heard these things save W58s like its their job. Or do a R154 swap or V160/161 if you got the duckets.

This is proof that a 500 whp NA-T on the W58 can hold up with the big boys. Also don't forget our NA-Ts weigh about 3200 lbs whereas TT supras are more like 3450. The weight savings and 4.08 rear in the NA allow for some nice track times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMxXkmMrm3E

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.