A-Pillar Damage and Repair from Hood Popping up?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A-Pillar Damage and Repair from Hood Popping up?

It's all ball bearings... Chris Peterson's Avatar

A-Pillar Damage and Repair from Hood Popping up?

This is a question for any bodyshop guys out there, i.e. Stefan aka exvelocity My hood flew up on me last year (thread here) and the car has just gotten all put back together body-wise. Initially, I thought that the A-Pillars might have been bent downwards by the impact of the hood, but the body shop told me their frame alignment machine said everything was within spec and the related damage was just superficial. Before I got the car back, I looked it over and the targa top seemed to be popped up a little bit as if it weren't fully seated properly. We looked at it and found the targa wasn't actually locked down, so the bodyshop guy and I talked about it and he said he would tighten it down and it should be fine.

I had to head out of town for a bit so I had the car delivered back to my house as soon as they got it done and I didn't get to look at it until a couple weeks later when I was back and had some time. Needless to say, the targa top still doesn't fit after I have tried multiple times to get it to seat and fasten down. It seems to me that the A-Pillars and perhaps the top of the C-Pillars have been deformed downwards, thus making the targa opening narrower and preventing the targa top from fitting properly. When you look at the targa top from the front, it is popped up about 1/4" on the driver side and 3/8" on the passenger side. From the rear it appears to be popped up by about 3/16" all along the edge.

So here's my question. The car just got the hood related damage repaired (but perhaps not all of it obviously), as well as some other major body restoration, and then was completely re-sprayed. How extensive might the repairs to the A-Pillars be and will it affect the paint work that was just done? How repairable is this and am I looking at something that will compromise the structural integrity of the car? What would the process be to make these repairs and how accurately can they be done?

Any help will be appreciated, I really don't know whether this could be a simple repair or if it is a potential killer. Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Chris, examine closely the way the doors open and close,see if the door glass is too close or catching on the A-pillar moldings, let me know the results

Stefan
    _Stefan B
    elite custom body + paint

do what's right,not what's easy
    Need professional advice or opinion on body/paint/assembly or cosmetic related issues?Just ask.

http://www.facebook.com/ELITECUSTOMBODY

Stefan: Thanks for the advice, I am a dodo for not thinking to look at that. I just checked it out: on the driver's side the glass is slightly closer to the A-pillar molding at the top than elsewhere, but not touching; on the passenger's side the glass is significantly closer to the molding at the top than elsewhere, still not touching, but the glass looks to be not fully up and I can't do anything about that at the moment (the engine bay is completely stripped, so no real way to get power to the car and put it up). I am assuming the glass should be even with the moldings along the entire A-pillar, yes? If the A-pillars are deformed from getting hit by the force of the hood, how would this be repaired and will it ever be truly fixed? Thanks for your help!
    Chris

Any other thoughts on this? I really need to determine if this is a fixable issue or if it will plague the car forever Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Peterson View Post
    Any other thoughts on this? I really need to determine if this is a fixable issue or if it will plague the car forever Thanks in advance!
    Chris
    If you think the windows are not up all the way, you can take the door panels off and use two wires from the battery to connect directly to the window motor. You can putt the window up or down by switching the wires.

And after you putt the windows all the way up and they are closer to the mouldings than they should be, you need to push the windshield posts up.

SupraForums Member
    can u post a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by x-1 View Post
    If you think the windows are not up all the way, you can take the door panels off and use two wires from the battery to connect directly to the window motor. You can putt the window up or down by switching the wires.

And after you putt the windows all the way up and they are closer to the mouldings than they should be, you need to push the windshield posts up.
    it's put,not putt

Chris, what he said, you will most likely need to remove the trim on the pinchweld in the door jambs as well as the trim on A-pillar ,throw some thick towels then a piece of 2x4 to serve as a base for the porta-power,then gradually pump the porta-power to push up the windshield frame, there is a slight chance that the windshileld might break , but I guess you will not be the one who will perform this task,so I would just take the car back to the shop and have them take care of that

Stefan

x-1: Thanks for the suggestion. I think the window alignment as is made my case to the bodyshop guy when I brought the car back to him, but I will keep that in mind as I am sure I will need it as some point given the loops this car has thrown me for

makaveli200369: Sorry, I don't think pictures will be very good at showing the problems areas as the car is a very shiny black (DuPont Jet Black) and all the pics I have taken of it so far have been terrible at showing details. I imagine it is just my bad camera skills!

exvelocity: As mentioned above I took the car back the bodyshop today and they said it was completely fixable. My primary concern is the difficulty of getting the A-pillar back to it's original shape and position given the unknowns involved, i.e. where the deformation is, is it in multiple locations, and how much to correct it. I should know by the end of the next week where things stand as he said he would have it fixed by then. I'll let you know how it comes out, or if it does Thanks for all the help!
    Chris

it should be a fairly quick adjustment as long as your hatch sits and shuts perfect

Stefan

+ Reply to Thread