Garret vs. Greddy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garret vs. Greddy

Garret vs. Greddy

I've been searching through this forums on single turbo set-ups. I've seen many dabates on people who mention the T88 from Greddy. I would assume that the Greddy T78/88 are the same as the GT47-78/88. Whats the difference? Some say the the powerband on the T88 isnt as big as you would think. If I was to use my single turbo set-up on a daily driver, would I go for the Garret turbos or the Greddy turbos, and what size? Thanks for any help in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    The T88 is not the same as a GT47. The T88 is much smaller. You might get 800hp out of the T88 where as the GT47 is good for well over 1000hp.

moreboost.org
    turbobygarrett.com

Daniel

SupraForums Member
    Greddy didn't name their turbo's by mm like most other companies

t78 = 67 mm
    t88 = 76 mm

if I remember correctly, I could be slighty off with that.

SupraForums Member
    greddy's technology is a few steps behind garrett in terms of turbos

Big Things Happening Soon 30PSIBLK's Avatar
    T78=67MM wheel good for 750-775rwhp
    T8833d=70mm wheel good for 800-825rwhp
    T88h34d=72MM Wheel good for over 900rwhp
    T88hGK=76MM wheel good for over 1000

These turbos are made by Mitsubishi. Very good turbos but a little out dated. Good power easy and cheap to fix but lag is a killer on these b/c of the large hot sides. Garrett Technology is great good power fast spool times. Precision is made by Garrett and so are the SP turbos. The greddy kit for the amount you pay is the best bang for the buck as a complete kit.
    Manifold is great
    Waste Gate is great
    Turbos are good
    Down pipe bolts up
    All lines and hard ware bolt up no fabrication.

I personally made 813 RWHP & 602 on pump gas on a stock and head through a BL tranny. On my T88H set up. (72mm wheel)
    Last edited by 30PSIBLK; 08-09-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Ohh, thanks a lot guys. I never knew that about how they don't match the name w/ the size. That's very sneaky of them o.O

So, GT4LYF, huh?

My pte67dbb with .68ar doesn't outspool my old T78 by much worth mentioning. The greddy's may have the large ar, but they also have both a divided manifold and exhaust housing.

Quote Originally Posted by cptpain View Post

Please explain.

Ken.
    www.sp-power.com
    HKS 3.4L: 1110 all-boost whp/839 lb-ft @ 2.6KG/CM^2
    1994 "SP ENGINEERING" TWIN HKS GT3240 TOYOTA SUPRA TURBO

1985 P-Type Celica Supra 5MT
    1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo Hard Top (somewhere between stock and BPU)
    1995 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT (APU)
    2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
    2007 Lexus IS 350
    2010 Lexus IS-F

Oh man, getting some debate going here, eh? Not criticizing your inteligence, but I would like an axplanation as well. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cptpain View Post
    I know this is a Zombie thread but would really like to hear the reasoning, because for weeks I been readng the same thing How Garrett uses "Newer technology" "Better aero design on the wheels" but have yet to see a comparable Garrett outpower a MHI Turbo. or stand up to the same amount of Boost.

SupraForums Member Evolved 6-speed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSIBLK View Post
    I personally made 813 RWHP & 602 on pump gas on a stock and head through a BL tranny. On my T88H set up. (72mm wheel)
    Wow.

Explain that 813rwhp on pump.

Do you mean e85?
    1995 Super White Supra TT 6-Speed: 30,211 original miles & stock when bought..........big things for 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Boostage View Post
    I know this is a Zombie thread but would really like to hear the reasoning, because for weeks I been readng the same thing How Garrett uses "Newer technology" "Better aero design on the wheels" but have yet to see a comparable Garrett outpower a MHI Turbo. or stand up to the same amount of Boost.
    Reviving threads this old rarely goes well.

The OG Greddy T78 and T88's are awesome turbos for their given HP levels. They're very Japanese in design, focusing on low exhaust pressures via huge hotsides and efficient turbine wheels. This makes them laggier than many similar sized turbos.

The lower the exhaust pressure, the lower the EGT's, and that helps the Japanese tuners safely push bigger power numbers on their pump gas, since pump gas is all they get. It's good pump gas, but they don't have race gas/meth/etc readily available in Japan like we do here in the US.

Naturally, people just assume that more lag = crappier technology. I'd put the durability of a Greddy T78 or T88 up against any other journal bearing turbo out there. But because people rag on them so much, they're seriously cheap, and easily one of the best used turbo deals out there.

The only downside is that older T78/T88's had a 4-bolt DP flange instead of a V-band, and that 4-bolt flange can be a PITA to find if you're buying the turbo used.

I'm sure that with modern billet compressor wheels and newer, lighter modern materials one could make a much better turbo than those old T78/T88's, but just because something's better doesn't mean the old stuff just stopped working.

My first high HP Supra ride was in a T88H car making 875whp back in 2002 or so. I'll never forget it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolved 6-speed View Post
    Wow.

Explain that 813rwhp on pump.

Do you mean e85?

Please notice you're asking a question of a post ~2 years old.
    IIRC he was on pump + meth.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    "Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong -- look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver." -- Colin Chapman

Making people misspell 'Reckless' since 2002

SupraForums Member
    pretty cool

SupraForums Member
    back from the dead...... i bought my t78 used and iv had it for 6 years never given me a single problem tho it is old school and their are better turbos out on the market.

ill be upgrading this winter to a new turbo to get up with the times other then that my greddy has never let me down A+++ turbo.
    14 Mustang
    96 RHD Supra hardtop 3.1 GTE

SupraForums Member Evolved 6-speed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post

Please notice you're asking a question of a post ~2 years old.
    IIRC he was on pump + meth.
    Didn't see the date .

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post

My first high HP Supra ride was in a T88H car making 875whp back in 2002 or so. I'll never forget it lol.

Jeff, what do you think of the smaller Mitsu turbos vs Garrett, like 14b,16g vs the Gtxxxr turbos. I cant find proof that one spools better than the other.

SupraForums Member
    i have a few T78 turbos and they are soild performers.

also ran duel ball bearing turbos before and they are pretty kick ass but personally i dont think as solid as the t78,

duel bb developed more than normal shaft play after only a few thousand miles.... might just be a special case in my application.

t78 right now with lots of two step and seems to be doing ok.

the lag isnt really that much of an issue. just make sure you are in the right gear and the lag is not toooo bad... or maybe im just used to it :P

"do sex to me"

Quote Originally Posted by Boostage View Post
    Jeff, what do you think of the smaller Mitsu turbos vs Garrett, like 14b,16g vs the Gtxxxr turbos. I cant find proof that one spools better than the other.
    I've played with some DSM stuff, having installed a couple of 16G's and the like into 1G DSM's but my experience ends there. I have no apples-to-apples knowledge comparing them to other turbos.
    Same thing really applies though - they are proven turbos and just because there's newer stuff out there doesn't mean the old stuff quit working. There are a ton of variables in turbo configurations that small, so it'd be hard to even make a fair comparison.

If you're looking for ultimate spool, though, I'm sure that new generation Billet offerings from Precision & other makers for similar HP targets would spool faster than those OG Mitsubishi counterparts by a significant margin.

Whether or not they will stand the test of time and prove reliable for 100k + miles of abuse like a lot of those old 14B's and 16G's remains to be seen.

SupraForums Member
    GT47-88 all tha way
    1jz NO Shit!!!!!

im a fan of the billet 6765 precision and the gt40r garret......but im also a fan of quick spooling and use a 67mm precision on my car full boost at 3600 rpm at 19psi
    :( no pics yet

i got a polish t88 -34d in my bedroom right now..
    Just trying to decide if it is worth installing..
    94 BPU Baltic Blue - Sold
    98 Quicksilver Hardtop - Current

Daily Grind: 1996 Lexus SC300 Red/Tan Orginal 5 speed
    -Dewayne-

Quote Originally Posted by slither View Post
    The 7 p's should be seared into the brain of anyone who gets a mkiv, period!
    Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I've been checking up on garrett for years. I've spoken as well with Ron Lummus when after he stopped drag racing VWs. At the time he said they're switching to the mustang from the sunfire he had and they're gonna use their new GT series turbos. From what I've noticed, they're very active with their turbocharger development. They always have new releases and have a large variety of turbochargers. I think they have alot of money for R&D, plus being owned by Honeywell, talk about a fat wallet.

Is Greddy more catered to turbos for production cars?

I admire the fact that Garrett is very concentrated in turbochargers.

Heres what I know about turbo innovations ... Journal Bearing then comes Ball Bearing (double, triple etc ) then Billet Wheel is the hottest trend for recent turbos. I like the Billet, the structural integrity of the impeller is increased and the center of the turbo is much skinnier allowing for more air to flow. (I'm excluding actual Twin-Scroll and Variable Vane Turbochargers, variable turbos using a sealed oil within the bearing housing. I rarely hear about these being used)
    Last edited by Smokey Mike-ata; 12-27-2010 at 03:37 AM.

1002hp denim blue beast justanmk4's Avatar
    i will stick with garret turbo any day of the week,one of the best turbo around

80mm of Pleasure
    Quote Originally Posted by justanmk4 View Post
    i will stick with garret turbo any day of the week,one of the best turbo around
    That’s a pretty bold statement.

R.K.

+ Reply to Thread