Supra Forums banner

Garret vs. Greddy

17K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Radride 
#1 ·
I've been searching through this forums on single turbo set-ups. I've seen many dabates on people who mention the T88 from Greddy. I would assume that the Greddy T78/88 are the same as the GT47-78/88. Whats the difference? Some say the the powerband on the T88 isnt as big as you would think. If I was to use my single turbo set-up on a daily driver, would I go for the Garret turbos or the Greddy turbos, and what size? Thanks for any help in advance

#9 ·
Please explain.

Ken.

#6 · (Edited)
T78=67MM wheel good for 750-775rwhp
T8833d=70mm wheel good for 800-825rwhp
T88h34d=72MM Wheel good for over 900rwhp
T88hGK=76MM wheel good for over 1000

These turbos are made by Mitsubishi. Very good turbos but a little out dated. Good power easy and cheap to fix but lag is a killer on these b/c of the large hot sides. Garrett Technology is great good power fast spool times. Precision is made by Garrett and so are the SP turbos. The greddy kit for the amount you pay is the best bang for the buck as a complete kit.
Manifold is great
Waste Gate is great
Turbos are good
Down pipe bolts up
All lines and hard ware bolt up no fabrication.

I personally made 813 RWHP & 602 on pump gas on a stock and head through a BL tranny. On my T88H set up. (72mm wheel)

#15 ·
back from the dead...... i bought my t78 used and iv had it for 6 years never given me a single problem tho it is old school and their are better turbos out on the market.

ill be upgrading this winter to a new turbo to get up with the times other then that my greddy has never let me down :D A+++ turbo.

#18 ·
i have a few T78 turbos and they are soild performers.

also ran duel ball bearing turbos before and they are pretty kick ass but personally i dont think as solid as the t78,

duel bb developed more than normal shaft play after only a few thousand miles.... might just be a special case in my application.

t78 right now with lots of two step and seems to be doing ok.

the lag isnt really that much of an issue. just make sure you are in the right gear and the lag is not toooo bad... or maybe im just used to it :p

#23 · (Edited)
I've been checking up on garrett for years. I've spoken as well with Ron Lummus when after he stopped drag racing VWs. At the time he said they're switching to the mustang from the sunfire he had and they're gonna use their new GT series turbos. From what I've noticed, they're very active with their turbocharger development. They always have new releases and have a large variety of turbochargers. I think they have alot of money for R&D, plus being owned by Honeywell, talk about a fat wallet.

Is Greddy more catered to turbos for production cars?

I admire the fact that Garrett is very concentrated in turbochargers.

Heres what I know about turbo innovations ... Journal Bearing then comes Ball Bearing (double, triple etc ) then Billet Wheel is the hottest trend for recent turbos. I like the Billet, the structural integrity of the impeller is increased and the center of the turbo is much skinnier allowing for more air to flow. (I'm excluding actual Twin-Scroll and Variable Vane Turbochargers, variable turbos using a sealed oil within the bearing housing. I rarely hear about these being used)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.