Supra Forums banner

Anyone ever dial #77 to report aggressive driving?

28K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  CoconutGroveGuy 
#1 ·
Beautiful night after a light rain out here in central NJ, took the Supra out for a little cruise...

Minding my own business in the middle lane jammin' to some tunes, when suddenly, a chevy suburban cuts me off -- as in changing lanes without even bothering to get ahead of me first. I braked in time and at the next red light pulled up next to the vehicle. Rolled down my window and asked, "is there a problem?"

I was pleasantly greeted by cursing and racial slurs (it was obvious that cutting me off was intentional and not just a case of "oh, sorry, you must have been in my blind spot." I decided to roll my window back up and let him pass. I got home and called in the plate to NJ's "aggressive driving" hotline (dial #77).

I think I spoke to a police dispatcher on the phone who took the plate, description of vehicle, and direction I was traveling when the incident occurred.

Just wondering, anyone know what happens next? The person who took my call didn't ask for any personal information (though I'm sure they have my phone number from caller id), so I really don't expect any follow up...

If anyone has any insight or previous experience with this, please chime in...

See less See more
#2 ·
I have done it before. I once had a guy spin out on the highway on me and then straddle two lanes you bet your ass I called the cops on him.

#3 ·
i got ran off the road last week during the snow storm up here, some idiot from montana was taking up a couple lanes on I-90 i went to go around him and he just kept pushing and pushing me, i slowed, he slowed i was going sideways looking at his tail lights. this was after he threw a chunk of ice at me as i was exiting the ezpass lane. i wish i got his plate number. but no luck, covered in snow. i hope he died... oh i didnt mention he had an infant in the car driving like that as well.. real winner.

#4 ·
I did that to some asshole that cut me off and started swerving in and out of lanes after that. I mean, he was all over the place and couldn't stay inside the lines even when going straight. So I called and told them he was brandishing a gun at me.

#5 ·
... So I called and told them he was brandishing a gun at me.
Nice! That basically insures that someone will investigate.

On a separate note, glad to hear the similar stories guys. Misery loves company... :biggrin:

I guess it goes to show, people from almost all walks of life can get a driver's license in this country; doesn't mean that it's right though...

#6 ·
Wow man sorry to hear that... Guy sounds like a fucking tool.

My mom was driving to work once and accidentally cut off a bike. She hit the hazards real quick and waved out the window to say sorry. He gets next to her and starts banging on the car while they are doing like 60-70mph. My mom tries to get away from him but he gets in front of her and mashes the brakes. She has to swerve to not hit him. She got the plate and reported it at work. (she's a cop but works in narcotics)

#7 ·
You know bro, there are so many times I've wished I were an off duty officer while driving around. If push came to shove, I'd probably ignore most of the nonsense I see on the roads every day, but I can't help day dream of some the instances I'd do something about driving idiots if I were in law enforcement myself...

BTW, missed you at the meet this weekend man. Hope to catch up this coming spring. Laters.

#10 ·
I think there's a difference of not paying attention and cutting someone off and being malicious. I had a guy once force me off the highway twice on rte. 24 you know I called in those plates. Sometimes people don't pay attention and things happen, but to purposely aim a 2 ton object at someone is dangerous to all on the road and I won't allow it.

#11 ·
Must be aggressive driving week.

Had a guy blatantly cut me off for no reason, I flashed the highbeams at him and he brake checked me, I clicked the high beams back on and left em on.. guy continued to brake check me (not just tapping on the brakes, but full on) for a few miles, driving in the middle of the two lane highway, weaving back and forth between lanes randomly slamming on his brakes, and even throwing shit out the window at me.

This was in the middle of rush hour traffic on the 23rd, I figured enough people saw him and called the cops that I wouldnt need to.

#12 ·
I figured enough people saw him and called the cops that I wouldnt need to.
I forget what the complex is called...but it's named after that woman who was murdered, and while over 30 people witnessed it either visually or audibly, nobody called the police or went to her aid, because they all thought someone else would.

Not knocking on you lol, just bringing it up that in this society you most likely will have to do it yourself and not rely on others!

#13 · (Edited)
Speaking on behalf of officers around the nation in regards to responding to aggressive driving complaints:

It's nearly impossible to track down a vehicle that is moving, especially when you are on the other side of your route when dispatched. By the time a cruiser arrive to the area the vehicle has been sited, he/she is probably 20 mins out. So, don't have the assumption that we don't respond to such calls.

8qtip5 said:
I did that to some asshole that cut me off and started swerving in and out of lanes after that. I mean, he was all over the place and couldn't stay inside the lines even when going straight. So I called and told them he was brandishing a gun at me.
I am not sure if you understand the severity of making a false statement/report to an law enforcement just to ensure that an a quick response. Keep in mind that reporting/stating that an individual is branding a weapon of sort would cause multiple cruisers dispatched because it would have to be a felony stop. IMO, making such false statement places everyone in a bad situation; guns drawn, violent apprehension, etc. If I was leading officer and upon investigation found out that you statement was false and was intentionally made, I would throw the cuffs on you, not him.

SUODRAXAH said:
Wow man sorry to hear that... Guy sounds like a fucking tool.

My mom was driving to work once and accidentally cut off a bike. She hit the hazards real quick and waved out the window to say sorry. He gets next to her and starts banging on the car while they are doing like 60-70mph. My mom tries to get away from him but he gets in front of her and mashes the brakes. She has to swerve to not hit him. She got the plate and reported it at work. (she's a cop but works in narcotics)
Do understand the driver of that motorcycle nearly got killed, your mother placed him/her in a very bad situation where he/she could have lost everything. Being a crotch rocket rider myself, I tend to be aware of other people's driving not just mine but you can't control everything on the road. Regardless of whether your mother did it accidentally or intentionally understand what just went thru the other driver's head. More fatalality occur because of accidents than recklessness driving. Hmm, you stated that she's in Narc, she still have full power. Just because she is in a special department doesn't make her less of an officer. If she felt in harms way then she had all the power to do what it takes.

1998jza80 said:
I forget what the complex is called...but it's named after that woman who was murdered, and while over 30 people witnessed it either visually or audibly, nobody called the police or went to her aid, because they all thought someone else would.

Not knocking on you lol, just bringing it up that in this society you most likely will have to do it yourself and not rely on others!
If you're referring to the incident in Massachusetts, it could either be the Rt 24 murder or the Masspike 90 rest area murder. This is definitely a great point, you can never be sure if it has been called in or not. A simple 9 1 1 and 2 minutes of your time could save a life.

In the state of Massachusetts, it's nearly impossible to get a citation/charge to stick on the suspect of reckless driving unless the officer witness the incident. For Massachusetts there is a RMV complaint form that can be filed with the Registry here's the link http://www.walkboston.org/documents/21171.pdf

And props to those individual who take the time to try and make the roads safer.

#14 ·
Do understand the driver of that motorcycle nearly got killed, your mother placed him/her in a very bad situation where he/she could have lost everything. Being a crotch rocket rider myself, I tend to be aware of other people's driving not just mine but you can't control everything on the road. Regardless of whether your mother did it accidentally or intentionally understand what just went thru the other driver's head. More fatalality occur because of accidents than recklessness driving. Hmm, you stated that she's in Narc, she still have full power. Just because she is in a special department doesn't make her less of an officer. If she felt in harms way then she had all the power to do what it takes.
She accidentally cut him off in a Bronco II (major blind spots). If anything he placed himself in the truly dangerous situation by physically attacking the car and break checking her......

Yes she is a narc but she couldn't do anything at the time, she was off duty on her way to work. She handed it off to the correct dept. and continued doing her job.

#17 ·
I am not sure if you understand the severity of making a false statement/report to an law enforcement just to ensure that an a quick response. Keep in mind that reporting/stating that an individual is branding a weapon of sort would cause multiple cruisers dispatched because it would have to be a felony stop. IMO, making such false statement places everyone in a bad situation; guns drawn, violent apprehension, etc. If I was leading officer and upon investigation found out that you statement was false and was intentionally made, I would throw the cuffs on you, not him.
Sorry officer, I won't do that again. Are you state or local?

#16 ·
I witnessed a car get hit while some stupid bitch was attempting to park her SUV this weekend. I just left a note on the car as the JAP just thought it was funny. Left the license plate number and a description of the driver on a post-it note stuck to the drivers side window.

#22 ·
i did it before, some guy in the poconos cut me off and then got next to me and was screaming shit (dont know why?) and then threw a orange soda from wendys at my window hahahaha then took off. about 10 mins down the road after I called the nj state police pulled him over. prob didnt do anything tho.

#23 ·
Haven't ever bothered with aggressive drivers, as it's not the normal issue locally. I have a lot of fun calling in dui's - and laughing at some of the responses I've gotten.

I've actually been on the phone with the state barracks following the driver past them, asking dispatch if they heard me rev and honk, and if they'd like to look out their front door to verify that there's a couple in a minivan doing 40mph past the limit occupying 2 lanes and shoulders depending on the lean of the potholes. :lol:

The all time best was following someone swerving into oncoming traffic late night, thinking about calling it in. About the moment I realized nothing would happen unless they hit someone and gave up on calling, the pos alarm system in the car I was driving activated of it's own accord. :rofl: It turns out a shorting car alarm is infinitely more effective at removing drunk drivers from the road, as the one in front of us scared a bit, and lodged his car in the runoff on the shoulder rather gently. :lol:

#24 ·
^^^^Nick is still alive? wholey chit!

#25 ·
i just get annoyed when Porsche 911's and Ferrari's pull up to me and rev till they get me so annoyed i floor it

im sorry but this area has too many people with too much money around.

there must be 8 or 9 ferrari's within a 8 mile radius of me and TONS of porsches

they always get pissed after win/keep up with them that when i stop they cut me off and usually flip me off....

as to the suburban i read a while up i saw a suburban that sounds like the one u saw.......... imho if your driving faster than a 21 year old with a supra you need to slow the fuck down.

the FASTEST i go(besides in bursts on the highway) is 80(or in the middle of nowhere 90) i never go over 20 over unless for like 1/4 mile bursts and my car which is capable of going to 180 QUITE quick i never go above 120 on a street.

#28 ·
I live in NJ....I just get used to it after awhile. Jesus driving on the parkway is a nightmare :rant:

Not going to lie, my town, when it comes to driving, was created by the devil. There is a HUGE population of people between the ages of 17-23 and 65+. You do the math :crying:

I witnessed this a few months ago at the highschool (Wayne Hills). Some kid tried to "drift" out of the parking lot in a brand new 350z and ended up in the reservoir :lol: Best part it wasn't even his car, it was his sister's boyfriend :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe last time I checked, the total number of accident in the school parking lot and by a student there is over 100 for this year. :dumbass:

#32 ·
After pulling just about every one of the kids over in Wayne, they ALL have some sort of PBA card. Still get the ticket when they are that dumb though. Chris.

#29 ·
Not going to lie, my town, when it comes to driving, was created by the devil. There is a HUGE population of people between the ages of 17-23 and 65+. You do the math

orly.....

mines exactly the same just add in all cars are ferraris porsches bmw's and mercedes....

some kids dad bought him a brand new m3 i heard he wrapped it around a tree.....so then his dad bought him a 325i.......

first off if my parents ever bought me a car it would have been a fucking ford fiesta...

second off if i crashed that they would NOT have bought me a slower bmw....theyd have bought me a wal mart brand bike and said go buy a helmet.

#34 ·
Anyone in NJ, we get the agg. driving calls all the time on SPEN. Just follow the car until we pull them over or give the info and wait and see if we get them. Give your direction and all appropriate info and if/when we get the person, you can be the signing complaintant rather than the police. There is no need to get all worked up and to try and get 'even.' I had someone actually brake check me in the marked truck we have. I mean come on... Chris.

#35 ·
philly absolutely has thee worst drivers of all time, i hate driving in philly because everytime i go down there, for sure, i always nearly get killed by some asswipe either doing 42 in the passing lane while brake checking, or some retard eating a big mac, doing his taxes and still finding a free hand to flip me off, i mean come on, you know that everyone needs two hands on a big mac !!!

#38 ·
I drive in Korea period. That sh*t happens on a daily if not hourly basis (more like hourly). You're blessed you drive in the States, where that probably only happens once in a while...

You're truly blessed dude.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.