Supra Forums banner

I-81 or I-95 Best route from the upstate NY to North Florida?

18K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  rcsupra 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals I was wondering if I could get some input from you all. I am picking up new Supra in Conneticut on Friday and then I will be staying with family in upstate NY until Sunday morning. My wife will fly in on Saturday morning and we will be drving the Supra from the Pawling NY area to Pensacola, Florida starting Sunday morning. We plan on driving until dusk then stay the night in a Hotel the be back home in Pensacola on Monday afternoon just taking our time.

My question is that what route do you think is best? All the online resources I am checking say basically travel west on I-84 into Pennsylvania then take I-81 south into northern Alabama. In looking closer at things it looks as the taking I-95 south then taking I-20 into Atlanta would be better.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Bob

#4 ·
Atlanta traffic isnt that bad compared to Philly or New York traffic.

I chose 81 because I wanted to stay away from VA cops, and their stupid variety of undercover (hummers,vettes) cop cars. I have a rather heavy foot at times. Well at all times, I generally cruise between 80-90.

#9 ·
I-81 is a decent choice. I live right off of it in VA and one thing you have to remember is that its one of the, if not the, busiest trucking lanes in the country. Usually however traffic is pretty smooth, and at least through VA (the bulk of my experience with it) you avoid a lot of big-city stuff and its fairly scenic. If you take it, watch your speeds around Woodstock, VA and Roanoke, VA, two unmarked car/hidden cop car hot spots.

If you need a place to stay or a garage to work in when going down 81 in the Staunton area, just give me a shout!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.