Supra Forums banner

is power shifting bad?

13K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  maxim 
G
#1 ·
I heard that if you power shift (dont let up on the gas during shifts) a turbo car you can blow the turbine right off the turbo, is that true or is it just a myth.

thanks

gov.

#3 · (Edited)
think if it this way, it's like doing a 4k-5k clutch drop launch everytime you shift. It gets you going faster, but at the expense of your transmission and clutch.

BTW, the Civic guys do it cause they HAVE to in order to make their cars feel just a tiny bit fast. So they treat their car like shit in order to do it.

#5 ·
well you can do it but it ware the shit out of your clutch and as for power over reg shifting there is no gain over it caues we have turq

and know you will not rip apar the turbine just eat clutches like mad men

so other wise don't bother

#6 ·
I don't think it would do any damage to the turbo turbine. Actually it shouldn't put any stress on the turbine at all. A weak or bad BOV would put stress on the turbine with changing gears conventially. The surge of pressure in the IC pipes when the TB closes would hit the turbine and snap the shaft, but thats why we have BOV's. But when power shifting you let off the throttle very slightly and then slam it into your next gear. The slight back off on the throttle isn't enough to cause any kind of surge in the IC pipes.

The only damage that I see happening is in the tranny and the clutch.

Dunno, just guessing....:(

G
#7 ·
this is a really good question. I don't think it's particularly bad for anything except the transmission. I just wonder if the turbo trans can take it over and over. I owned a 96 mustang cobra (305 horse, 5 speed, 32 valve) for two years and I power shifted that thing and ragged the crap out of it all the time. I traded it in with 86000 miles on it. Zero problems.
BTW: to say that only weak cars need to shift fast...well, it sounds like you aren't keeping up with anything fast.

#8 ·
Powershifting...

Don't do it on our MKIII's.

I had a 87 Turbo that ran 14.2 @ 101.2mph. Anyhow I decided to powershift it one night. Did it a few runs and beat some of the street racers here. Then I did an exhibition run with a G-TECH and into 4th gear i heard a little rattle and the car started to shake a little bit... anyhow i ended up shattering the flywheel. So don't powershift on our MKIII Turbo's, there's too much torque and you'll break something. Just do a quick speed shift (lift throttle).

My bro also has a Hunduh that I drove to a best of 13.3 @ 103mph. Now those bitches you can powershift cause they have no torque and you won't break anything.

So it dependso on which car you're driving if you want to powershift or not. I was always under the impression that if you lift throttle shift on turbo cars, you let the turbo respool and you'll reach full boost each time.

just thoughts...

G
#12 ·
Re: Powershifting...

MKIIISupraGuy said:
Don't do it on our MKIII's.

I had a 87 Turbo that ran 14.2 @ 101.2mph. Anyhow I decided to powershift it one night. Did it a few runs and beat some of the street racers here. Then I did an exhibition run with a G-TECH and into 4th gear i heard a little rattle and the car started to shake a little bit... anyhow i ended up shattering the flywheel. So don't powershift on our MKIII Turbo's, there's too much torque and you'll break something. Just do a quick speed shift (lift throttle).

My bro also has a Hunduh that I drove to a best of 13.3 @ 103mph. Now those bitches you can powershift cause they have no torque and you won't break anything.

So it dependso on which car you're driving if you want to powershift or not. I was always under the impression that if you lift throttle shift on turbo cars, you let the turbo respool and you'll reach full boost each time.

just thoughts...
in the 80's people were losing there legs cause the flywheel chopped it off once it shatters. but i think power shifting will make you go a little faster cause your turbo doesn't stop spinning. if you have an stronge flywheel, stronge clutch, and don't give a shit about your transmission then by all mean go for it:)

G
#13 ·
Da Kine Guy said:
think if it this way, it's like doing a 4k-5k clutch drop launch everytime you shift.
how's that? if you take your car up to 6000 RPM's then powershift your flywheel is still spinning around 6K. so when you put it in the next gear your RPM's will drop to about 4200, right? so your flywheel will actually be taking around a 1800RPM clutch drop. that's if you can shift fast enough. most of us drop the clutch around 3000 RPM's off the line at the dragstrip. so i't's not that bad of a clutch drop.

#14 · (Edited)
Well you won't hurt the turbo but you will hurt the clutch and tranny. If you have a big fu^koff clutch (mine is a 5puck brass button with 3400lb pressure plate) it will mince R154s hitting 3rd.

This is what happens if you have a clutch that does not slip and you flat change/arcade change/power shift.

I broke this twice, first time I thought it was a worn part, next time I knew it was the clutch. Because the clutch is so sudden there was no slip and no take up on the gears. When I hit 3rd gear so much torque slammed the gear back into 1st gear then hitting this trust washer into the main rear bearing breaking the washer into 4 parts and messing up 1st gear hub, syncro and the main bearing. $7 part = $1500 repair.

#15 ·
Yep I have only powershifted my car 3-4 times.... I did brake slip the clutch off the line a few times...

I can shift hella fast and I dont like ragging on my tranny since it already grines 2nd and 3rd when shifting fast....

I don't think its worth it unless ABSOLUTELY needed to beat that one car that you just hate and have to win. (Bobby I'm talking about you're car) hehe :)

As far as dammage to turbo.. Nothing It has nothing to do with it at all.

However, If you plan to powershift alot like Bobby you'll be buying tranny's in dozens. Bobby's on his 3rd tranny and its dead so hes going to get a full rebulid.. Told him that he's too hard on his car but.. :D

Anyways...

G
#17 ·
I am doing it on a daily!

ZaZZn2002 said:
Yep I have only powershifted my car 3-4 times.... I did brake slip the clutch off the line a few times...

I can shift hella fast and I dont like ragging on my tranny since it already grines 2nd and 3rd when shifting fast....

I don't think its worth it unless ABSOLUTELY needed to beat that one car that you just hate and have to win. (Bobby I'm talking about you're car) hehe :)

As far as dammage to turbo.. Nothing It has nothing to do with it at all.

However, If you plan to powershift alot like Bobby you'll be buying tranny's in dozens. Bobby's on his 3rd tranny and its dead so hes going to get a full rebulid.. Told him that he's too hard on his car but.. :D

Anyways...

I only speed shift really at the track on drag radials and have had no problems w/ my tranny in 4 years. It is useless to speed shoft my current configuration on the streeet tires cause I only burn out through all gears 1-3.

Orin B Sr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.