2JZ-GTE VVT-i

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2JZ-GTE VVT-i

2JZ-GTE VVT-i

Hello everyone, although I'm not new to Supra Forums, I am new to posting, and just wanted to take the time to introduce myself and share my project.

I recently came across an '89 N/A Supra with a JDM 7M-GE and rebuilt tranny, only to find out the head gasket was blown (big surprise) and there was corrosion between the cooling channels and block (not to mention an ungodly amount of rust blocking the cooling channels). Apparently the previous owner never heard of coolant/antifreeze.

So instead of spending money on and repairing a piece of sh*t motor, I've decided to yank the current set-up in favor of a 2JZ VVT-i twin-turbo from a late model Aristo. A lot of you may ask why go with the VVT-i when I can get the fixed cam 2JZ and save the trouble, well number one I want to be unique. There's only one other MK3 with the same set-up I know of and its definitely not popular. The next is I've done a huge amount of research and this motor has more usable low-end torque than any other stock JZ engine. Most people state that the VVT-i is just another thing to go wrong and is more of a hassle to tune when reaching high HP numbers, but I think that given the right amount of time and tuning, this motor could reach another pinnacle in 2JZ culture.

Well, I'm rambling on now, the whole reason I've posted this thread is to 1) post a build thread with pics and info to keep anyone who's interested updated and 2) take any advice anyone might have on this project. I realize it's going to be an expensive project but its worth it, but I do have a few questions...

First, is there any major differences in the wiring between the 2JZ-GTE and VVT-i? And would it be better to source a 2JZ fuse block or use my existing one? It seems the VVT-i only came automatic and I'm hooking it up to an R154, from pics it looks like the ECU has 2JZ-GT stamped on it, so does that mean I don't have to worry about swapping ECU's if I'm swapping tranny's like you do on the 7M? And I'm guessing I'll have to extend the wiring harness being it's a JDM motor set, can anyone confirm this? It seems wiring is gonna be the biggest pain in this one.

Second, I realize the 2nd turbo intake fouls with the USDM MKIII firewall, but to what extent? I don't mind modifying the firewall as long as the modification is not extensive. If I do have to go single, is there any reputable dealer of rebuilt turbos? I'm trying to do a budget set-up right now, but I do not want to go cheap/low-quality. I really don't trust the turbo's being sold on eBay, though the OBX manifold looks like it would be OK to hold 12-15 psi (my goal).

Any other tips/advice would be helpful. Sorry if any of this has been stated, I searched and theres not much info for the VVT-i motor. I'm doing the entire swap pretty much alone and have only worked on the 7M, though I've done a ton of research on the 1JZ/2JZ. Pics will be put up shortly. Thank you all for your time.
    Last edited by ProjekT_SuprA; 06-20-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Our supras, who art in the driveway,
    hallowed be thy name, thy speed has come, thy will never be done,
    on the road as it is on the mind, give us this day your daily beauty,
    and forgive us our speeding, as we forgive those who drive slow,
    and lead us not into incarceration, but deliver us from the five-o ....amen

A beautiful Supra Prayer by: Kris Paczedlik

2JZ VVT-i Swap/Build
    http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=546316

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    I've done the VVTi swap and it's a beautiful engine in the MKIII. Let us know as you go and I'll try to help along the way. I have posted alot of info on this rare swap, here and on Supramania. Search for the topic and my username and you should find some general info. Once you get into the nity-gritty, I can help ya even further.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the info, couldn't find it with search. My solid motor mounts came in today, bought them off eBay (something I wouldn't normally do but he offered a lifetime warranty) and they actually look pretty good! I'll get some pics up of them side by side with the round mounts, along with other misc pics. I've just cleaning the engine bay now theres no motor in there (body has 300,000+ miles on it, which translates into a lot of dirt/grease!) it's a lot cleaner but trying to get it perfect. I have a guy coming this saturday to buy my old engine/tranny for $500, so that should help out a bit. Also ordered a Walbro fuel pump w/ install kit ($100 on horsepowerfreaks.com, can't beat that) so waiting for that to come in. That's it for updates right now, will definitely keep you posted.

SupraForums Member
    Lil' inspiration for you.

http://www.geocities.com/g099521/VVTi/frankie.wmv

If you go single with it, you will have some codes (check engine light on). I think it's for the 2nd O2 sensor and other things that an ODBII type system would throw. You'll have to see if the codes translate the same as for the US 96+ TT ECU

Looks beautiful. I notice you have the stock twins in there, was the fabrication a pain in the ass? I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with the stock twins but go true twins with the TTC mod from the MKIV guys. I really don't trust ebay turbos and brand name kits are 3k+, which is money I don't have right now. I'm going to do a downpipe off that bat so I think it's going to throw some codes anyways but I'll tackle that problem when the time comes. How's the driveability of that engine compared to that standard 2JZ? I've noticed you've done the swap a couple of times (sorry about all the bad luck on some of them), and wonder if there's a big difference in powerband.

SF Contributing Member 87supramario's Avatar
    This sounds like a great idea however iv had the same one haha. But it is expensive, I couldnt find any cheap VVTI motors under 5 grand with reasonable milege so im just gona swap my NA to the turbo 7m for a grand and spend another 700$ on a racing intercooler and swap my only modified parts to that and end up with maybe 280hp off the bat.

BUT ANYWAYS come up with photos of this, I would like to see them.

Insted of making a new Thread, im just curious of anybody has ever tryed gutting out the Variable valve timing with inelligence system out of a 2jz vvt-i motor and putting it in a 1jz or possibly a 7mgte?

Resurrection complete. Stealth power coming soon. Build thread-> http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=614654[/CENTER]

The 3rd gen 1JZ's already come with VVT-i plus they're single turbo'd with a higher 9.0 C/R off the bat, but 7M would require a LOT of custom work. I was actually originally going to do the 1JZ VVT-i but as research found out, that motor with the R154 goes between $3-3.5K. The 2JZ version actually ends up at about the same cost. I have seen a thread somewhere on one of the Supra forums of a shop in Europe that did a custom dual VVT-i swap on a 2JZ with HKS 272 cams, so I'm sure its possible.
    Last edited by ProjekT_SuprA; 06-20-2009 at 02:58 PM.

SF Contributing Member 87supramario's Avatar
    It would be awesome to try out a 7MGTE VVT-I and compare the 3 motors. Id love to be a pioneer about it. Thx for that tho, I was very curious.
    I'll try to find out more about the shop and there thing, see if they tryed converting a 7MGTE into the VVT-I. And also about the diffrences betwine NA/turbo 1JZ/2JZ VVT-I parts and what would suit the 7M most.
    Im planning on dropping a 7M-GTE to replace my N/A 7M by next summer, mean wile I have nothing planed for the old motor, but I got lots to do on the body first. But before jumping into things this would require alot of research itself before even finding a price range.
    Last edited by 87supramario; 06-27-2009 at 02:16 AM.

UPDATE:

So I ordered my engine today! Paid $2500 after shipping and everything and it comes with the engine, auto tranny (getting an R154 of course), wiring harness, ecu, turbos, coils, ignitor pack, the whole nine yards. Also, I've got my camera working so I can post up some pics of my progress. As soon as I get them uploaded, I'll post them up.

SupraForums Member
    Aw man i love those vvt-i 2j's... The variable valve timing can be sweet if you get it tuned right.. Good luck on your build and i have confidence that this will come out awesome..
    -90 Targa Top
    -1jz

NAKA
    Any progress?

I got an IS300 with a 2jz gte vvti swap. I just got the car and have yet to really take it out. From what little I have drove it this thing is nice and moves!!!! I purchased the car with the swap done and from what the prevoius owner said along with the guy who actually built it was that it was pain in the @ss. It still needs a little work but its very close to completion.

I received the engine yesterday! It's such a beautiful engine. I have pics but am having trouble uploading them, hopefully by today or tomorrow I'll have them. Keep you posted.

Pics!!!!

Here are just a few pics that I've been able to take, will definitely get more up later.

Engine Money Shots

Turbo #1

Turbo #2

Solid Motor Mounts vs Stock

P.S. If you can't view the pics, just go to http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=2512396 to view my album.
    Last edited by ProjekT_SuprA; 07-20-2009 at 01:13 PM.

SupraForums Member
    Nice build....good luck!
    I wouldn't put these solid motor mounts ....

SupraForums Member
    LOVE it man! check my build thread in my sig for some sick pics of the inside of that beautiful engine... and i have a big tip for you as far as wires... talk to Dr Tweak from Phoenix Tuning http://www.phoenixtuning.com/ as he has done a a few of these type of conversation. i am having him make me a harness as my motor came with a badly cut up one... i also have done much research on this and have made some nice friends in Australia and the UK that have these engines in Supras... nice build man and good luck!!!
    94 6 Speed, 76mm TBB, AEM, Meth, GSCS2, and some shinny stuff
    ***work in progress***

Quote Originally Posted by 2JZA70Claou View Post
    Nice build....good luck!
    I wouldn't put these solid motor mounts ....
    Thank you! But why not use the solid mounts?

SupraForums Member SuspectSupra's Avatar
    looking good.

here was my 2jz mk3

I can do your wiring conversions(2j or 1j and vvti). PM ME.

-Rebuilt v160 by swing lo-

FS: 1jzgte vvti, 2jzgte, sc300, is300, gs300 http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...i-2jzgte-parts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjekT_SuprA View Post
    Thank you! But why not use the solid mounts?
    if you are going to be daily driving the the car, or just driving it on the streets mostly, those solid mounts will vibrate the shit out of your car, and it won't be as comfortable at the OEM ones...

now if all you plan to do with the car is 1/4 mile racing all day that's a different story ...

Also if you run into any issues wiring that motor, contact Grip Industries, they are in Melbourne, FL http://www.grip-industries.com, and ask for Rob. They are only an hour east of you. (they are currently doing the same swap on my 89 MK3). Only difference with me, is we're keeping the car AUTO because this is going to be my wife's car.

I believe it will be about 2 weeks or so and mine should be on the road...
    92 Cressida (1JZ-GTE)
    89 Supra (2JZ-GTE VVT-i)
    94 Supra TT

Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
    if you are going to be daily driving the the car, or just driving it on the streets mostly, those solid mounts will vibrate the shit out of your car, and it won't be as comfortable at the OEM ones...

now if all you plan to do with the car is 1/4 mile racing all day that's a different story ...

Also if you run into any issues wiring that motor, contact Grip Industries, they are in Melbourne, FL http://www.grip-industries.com, and ask for Rob. They are only an hour east of you. (they are currently doing the same swap on my 89 MK3). Only difference with me, is we're keeping the car AUTO because this is going to be my wife's car.

I believe it will be about 2 weeks or so and mine should be on the road...
    I'm going to try the car out with solid motor mounts, if I don't like them, I can swap them out. Just want to do something different. Good luck with your swap, I should have an R154 on the way soon along with a 1JZ Fidanza flywheel and Spec Stage 3 6-Puck clutch. Hopefully within a month I should be done. The wiring shouldn't be too difficult, but G.I. is much closer than Pheonix Tuning. Thanks for the info.

That's a beautiful engine.

More Pics!!!

Haven't posted pics in a while, its been raining around here too much. Here's some minor updates/pics.

The "Patient"

Engine bay needs some love

Removed the A341E off the 2JZ, prepping it for sale

The R154 should be on the way soon. After that, I'm off pick up a 1JZ Fidanza flywheel and Spec Stage 3 clutch kit from Titan Motorsports since they're right here in town. Once the transmission is bolted on to the engine, I will remove all the butterfly's and actuators for the sequential system and convert it to permanent true twin turbo. I also have my Walbro 255lph fuel pump waiting to be installed. Only thing left before I drop her in is to swap the hydro fan setup for a USDM water pump. I work so much it's hard to get everything done at once. Just these past two days I was finally able to install my new 3.73 LSD rear end for the old 4.30 setup. Before the engine goes in I will be repainting the engine bay and engine trim peices to clean things up a bit. Whats the point of putting a beautiful engine in a dirty car? More updates ahead.

-Shane
    Last edited by ProjekT_SuprA; 08-06-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Update

Well, today I got the new engine brackets/motor mounts installed on the engine. I had problems with the intake side bracket, but thanks to Aaron at DriftMotion, I got it all figured out. I'm going to get a 1/8" sheet of polyurethane to cut and put on top and bottom of my solid motor mounts, just to help with any vibration.

I also began the painful process of removing all the sequential turbo garbage from the intake and exhaust piping. Unfortunately, the butterfly in the exhaust is being stubborn and won't bust out and the intake butterfly and actuator screws are stuck and aren't coming out. I'm going to take them to a local machine shop tomorrow to have it all cut out and see if I can port the intake pipe and exhaust chambers to give it a little more flow. I'll post pics up ASAP.

I also ordered a Mishimoto 2-row aluminum radiator today, I was going to hold off on getting an aftermarket radiator but they had a really good deal going on at MVP Motorsports (thanks Robert), so I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully that should be arriving soon.

Only other thing I'm waiting on is for my transmission to arrive from one of the members on this forum. I'm also going to order the 1JZ bellhousing and clutch/flywheel setup so I can finally drop this baby in my car.

That's about it for now, keep you updated and hopefully more pics soon.

-Shane

SupraForums Member
    wow sounds like a nice swap, have you figured out who's going to do the wiring??

Updates

I'm going to do the wiring myself, we just moved into our new house and I'm broke as hell, so I can't see paying somebody $500 of money I don't have to do wiring. I've done wiring in the past with no problem, so it shouldn't be too bad. Anyways, I got a couple of presents these past couple of days. Here's one present thanks to Robert@MVP!

Box came in handy for new plaything!

I also received my R154 from Brian here on the forums, so I'll get pics of that up when I get a chance. Still waiting for the damn humidity down here to go down so I can do my painting. Humidity in Florida has been between 75% and 97% this past month, so I'm screwed.

So because of my financial situation, the project may slow down a bit but I'm still focusing as much energy on it as I can. I'll keep you guys updated!

looking forward to seeing it done! unfortunately you picked the wrong time of year to do any painting, lol!
    93 RX7 Brilliant Black
    "I spent 90% of my money on women, cars, and booze. The other 10% I wasted."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text