why do my rotors keep warping?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: why do my rotors keep warping?

SupraForums Member

why do my rotors keep warping?

I have gone through a few pairs of front rotors recently. both stock and brembo OE replacements (slotted). They keep warping on me. i dont brake HARD and come to a complete stop at the same time which i read was a cause of warpage. any other things that could cause this? i just put on my current set of brembos about 7months ago, and now they are warped already as well.
    jason-
    94 TT - BPU+

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

do you wash your car just after getting back from a ride? It's the radical cool down of the rotor that causes warping, do getting them wet while still hot would cause this

Speed limits = Guidelines suprant0010's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neloner View Post
    do you wash your car just after getting back from a ride? It's the radical cool down of the rotor that causes warping, do getting them wet while still hot would cause this
    driving in the rain or over a puddle can also do it...but it takes some very hot rotors to cause warpage, not likely to happen during normal driving, unless he has a frozen caliper(s)
    <== Jimmy the spider...On a mission to destroy the internet, one computer monitor at a time.

backpsi is my batsignal!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mpunisher View Post
    I have gone through a few pairs of front rotors recently. both stock and brembo OE replacements (slotted). They keep warping on me. i dont brake HARD and come to a complete stop at the same time which i read was a cause of warpage. any other things that could cause this? i just put on my current set of brembos about 7months ago, and now they are warped already as well.
    when you install the new rotors. Do you break them in? It might not be warpage it might be that the brake material from the pad is not bedding itself correctly.
    official translator for Canuck-istan...
    Cocaine is one hell of a drug...

The only reason why the rotors will warp is if they get very hot to begin with. Obviously they are being applied hard even if you dont think so. There is a slight possibility that the rears aren't being applied at full force causing more strain on the fronts. Are all rotors warping or only fronts? Bled the system recently?

I would deffinatly flush your brake fluid with fresh Dot 3. and just make sure the rears arent clogged or anything.. like kruso said.. your front brakes might be doing all the work instead of both the front and back working together.

your calipers might need to be rebuilt because its sticking, causing the pad to not let the rotor float. you also need to bed the pad correct with the rotors, and i also notice some people like to ride the brakes. My frist choice would be to check the caliper itself.
    *94 MKIV / SP63 / ATF Stage 3 Auto / FTI 3.5k Converter / CCW SP500 / Meth/Pump 91 = Garage Anchor

06 W203 6 Speed Manual / Black on Black / stuff = Daily Driver

More pictures here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...yN-Version-2.0

Condition Trumps Mileage: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...dition+mileage

SupraForums Member
    here is a interesting article on rotor warping:
    http://www.dba.com.au/2006/techdocs/T015.asp
    one of the things that were really enforced when i was working at Lexus was to torque every wheel nut by hand with torque wrench.

SupraForums Member
    I was about to suggest wheel torque as well. If the lugs are unevenly torqued it can lead to warped rotors. It was very common on european cars with lug/stud combos. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same on a standard setup. Impact guns/long breaker bars are generally the cause.

^All of these are very good possibilities. I'd say the top three are probably improper break-in procedure, faulty calipers, or your brake proportioning valve isn't working properly. Check your rear brakes and see how much wear you have on them in relation to your front (on both rotors and pads).
    Our supras, who art in the driveway,
    hallowed be thy name, thy speed has come, thy will never be done,
    on the road as it is on the mind, give us this day your daily beauty,
    and forgive us our speeding, as we forgive those who drive slow,
    and lead us not into incarceration, but deliver us from the five-o ....amen

A beautiful Supra Prayer by: Kris Paczedlik

2JZ VVT-i Swap/Build
    http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=546316

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size