Supra Forums banner

mkiii 1990 1g-gte upgrades please

10K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  speedemonsupra 
#1 ·
hi all im new to the site and i recently brought a mkiii twin turbo 1990 supra wicked condition...now where to start..ok i want to get rid of all them nasty rubber hoses on the intercooler also the intercooler but there does not look like much room to fit a bigger one..does any one know best type of kit to go for?keep in mind i have the 1g-gte twin turbo motor..now i have read that this type of motor is not the best..is that right? i know its a 2ltr but with about 5 -6 grand to spend is it possible to get around 350hp out of it with out uprading the turbos or am i dreaming? haha..also i want to rebuild a 2nd motor (rebuild from scratch) what bolts into the markiii exsisting engine mounts and bolts up to gearbox and has same wiring harness and will give me 450 500hp( after some mods)..or could i buy another 1g gte motor and put a single big blower on it...

#3 ·
Projectsupra in west palm beach built a 1ggte with a single HKS turbo. He might have been about 350rwhp. If search was working I'd show you the links.

#7 ·
You might be better off talking to the Supraforums.com.au guys. Since we never got the 1G-GTE here in the states, and it's not a popular engine conversion, few of us have even seen one let alone tuned or built one.

Personally I'd see about going 2JZ. Your power goals will be VERY easy on a 2JZ. The conversion is expensive, yes, but you're going to spend a great deal trying to make the 1G-GTE even compare.

#8 ·
1g-gte is a waste of time, money and resources, unless you want show it off, because there very little 1g-gte's in america.

#10 ·
hey there you are. You still have the supra? I thought you might have sold it was 350z parts.

#11 ·
When someone tries to tell you to do an engine swap because THEY don't like the engine, please ignore them. A 1G-GTE is a perfectly capable engine.

JZ & M nutswingers, you haven't owned a 1G-GTE so what are you doing giving advice? Keep your opinions to yourself, if you want to postwhore, there's offtopic for that.

#13 ·
i had a 1g in my car for over a year and a half ,did the swap myself. With intake and full 3 inch exhaust stock ic with boost raised to 15psi made 240 to rear wheels. I modified a 7m turbo header, wasn't pretty and had a few pinhole leaks, and only used about half of the exhaust ports coming out of the head, but worked, dropped a pt61 precision turbo on it. All custom hard pipes and front mount is. On stock injectors and afm, at 20psi , injectors where maxed, she made around 360 to the ground. It was laggy but the crappy manifold definitely didn't help any not counting the monster front mount. Don't let anyone think of talking you out of your 1g unless u have huge hp dreams. Their great engines. When i did my swap i got 2 complete engine thankfully. My first one had a rust problem in the block and popped the hg. I drove it home with the hg blown, temperature gauge pegged and 20psi non -stop cause i was pissed for about 15 miles and it never let go. Tough little motors. With the right set-up and fuel system and engine management im sure u can get over 450rwhp with one. I have mine sitting in my storage unit right now debating on what im gonna do with it. I just swapped in a 2jz-na-t. The twins are blown on the 1g but im gonna find something to throw it in and have fun with. It also has rust in the coolant but i've heard there's some coating that u can run though to fix that just haven't looked. If you need any parts let me know i have a whole bunch of spare stuff and a list of toyota part numbers as well as a few other things that will work with the engine since parts can't be purchased in the U.S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.