Supra Forums banner

what do you need to install a metal head gasket

12K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Zumtizzle 
#1 ·
i recently purchase a 1989 supra with a bhg i plan to do some upgrades on it like intake catback exhaust, down pipe and maybe some header other than that that would be all the modification i will do to the engine i plan to keep this car for a long time and take it out on the weekend it has a 7mge motor my question is do i have to really install a metal head gasket or could i just go with the toyota one also what do i need to use arp head studs or head bolts this is just going to be a weekend car i am not aiming for turbo or high horsepower i have another car which is a commuter and if i do need to go with a metal head gasket i plan to use the hks 1.2mm can i just install that one immediatly or does the machine shop have to do something with the head i appreciate all the help you guys have given me on the forum
also what amount of torque should i give to the head to prevent another head gasket

thank you

#2 · (Edited)
I/H/E is a waste of money on a N/A Supra. That is my personal opinion.

If you want to keep it N/A, I suggest you invest money in suspension and brakes first incase you change your mind about going forced induction. You won't have wasted money in a intake and header.

You can go with the Toyota Headgasket with ARP bolts. Have the head sent out to a machine shop to get resurfaced and make sure the deck of the block is not warped. Uneven surfaces on the head or block = another blown headgasket.

Since you have the head off and at the machine shop, have them put in some new valve seals. You also want to make sure the block still has the cross hatches on the cylinder walls. Any type of vertical scratching or marks on the walls may indicate a problem.

Pick up some new exhaust manifold studs and nuts from Toyota. Coat them with Anti-seize and insert them into the head. Now would also be a good time to pick up a new timing belt and tensioner from Toyota, aswell as all the intake gaskets. This is just my personal preference. I like to get everything done once. I hate to finish everything and then have a problem later on down the road.

I'm currently using a Cometic metal headgasket with ARP bolts torqued to 85ft/lbs. on my 7MGE, but its currently getting a turbo bolted on to it as I am typing this.

#6 ·
Timing Belt tensioner and spring. It applies pressure to the timing belt and keeps it nice and tight.

do you know if the valve seals come with the toyota head gasket kit also arp head bolts that say they are for the 7mgte will work on the 7mge?
Usually a Headgasket Kit will include every gasket and seal from the head up.

ARP headbolts for the 7M are all the same.

so 85ft/lbs of torque will be good on my toyota head gasket
Do 75ft/lbs.

Also, pick up some Copper spray and coat the headgasket with about 2-3 coats. Apply some to the deck of the block and head aswell.

Available at your local autoparts store.

#9 ·
Yes. Use the copper spray on the Toyota gasket. I even used it on my metal headgasket.

I will have to check on that part number when I get home. I'm posting on my blackberry now.

#12 ·
Yeah. For the Timing Belt.

would i also need the Camshaft Seals Front Main Seals since im changing the idler pulley and spring
No. But It wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you buy the complete headgasket kit, it will bring cam seals, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets throttle body gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, valve stem seals, and headgasket.

#14 ·
Yup. Water pump and thermostat replacement would be a very good idea. Especially if they are the original parts from the factory. Nobody knows when they will fail.

Honestly, if you can... I'd just do a complete rebuild if you're going all out. The only things you have left to replace are the bearings and piston rings. lol

You say you have a daily driver so my vote would go to pull the engine and rebuild it.

#19 ·
DegreE, damn. I know I'm pretty new around here, and I don't know you right, but I've read a lot of your posts, but are you feeling alright? Don't take that wrong, I'm a fan, but it's like you got the sand out of your vagina today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.