Supra Forums banner

legal swap!?

4K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  TTmk3502 
#1 ·
Oh snap is it really legal to swap a 7mgte into a non turbo chassis?! or a 1jz for that matter!?

Not familiar with the laws of california, but me and a friend were discussing it and since it comes with 3 motors on that one chassis you can swap either of the 3 into it, is what i understand.

#2 ·
This is why California has so many inmates, you are going to jailllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

#3 ·
u can swap a 2jz into a mk3 if u leave the emmision on it. basically u have to swap a newer engine into your car that is US emission legal and u have to update a federal emission legal engine to a cali emission legal engine. We had a customers car we were swapping a na 2j into that was moving to cali and we had to call the cali DOT to ask if it was legal we talked to a man on the phone for about 4 hrs that told us what we needed to do .

You can do an engine swap but u have to take the car to the dmv/dot and have it registered and everything on the car must be there ALL the emissions and u have to have it all DOT legal. but u MUST have the car inspected in CALI at the DMV to get the swap legal beyond your normal emissions inspections. You can call the DMV there and they can explain it more to you.

#10 ·
What you're referring to is the State Ref. They'll legalize it if everything is in order. basically majority swaps can happen just as long as all the emissions equipment for that motor during that production year are all installed and the motor is the same year or newer than the chassis. example...a 1993 model motor in a 1987 car must have all the 1993 emissions stuff on it. also if the motor came out of a truck they won't legalize it. we tried to legalize a Honda CRX with USDM B20 motor out of a CRV and the ref said that since it came out of a suv they wouldnt legalize it.

#7 ·
thank god I live in Florida and not California or Kentucky.

#9 ·
as far as I know in Cali, it needs to be the same year or newer motor that can be swapped

so for Cali cars, a 2jzge or gte would be fine as long as emmissions are clearly functioniing

Ive seen guys with 1uzfe in supras but I am not sure how that would fly since the Supra was never available with a 1UZ

but that what I remember as of a couple years back, rumor has it that they changed the laws regarding engine swaps

#17 ·
^lol at vencie. its one of the dirtiest beaches ever. go down south to Huntington or Newport in the summer nothing but hot bitching rolling around in 70* water and nice waves. or San Clemente where you can climb threw the cliffs.

cali weather> everything else.

#18 ·
70 water is too cold for me.

#19 ·
i live in cali and done this many times. you can put pretty much any motor in youre car as long as the engine and all emissions is newer than the chasis. try not to put any mods and other shit like that on yet. cuz they are supper dicks about that stuff. but if you put a 2jz in it and it passes and you decide to have another 2jz put in you wont have to do it again because that engine was already approved for youre chassis!

#20 ·
Cali is doing the right thing. The other 49 states are part of the reason the ozone is going down fast. The sun used to be hot and now it actually burns because its radiation is much less filtered. Most may not give a flock because they won't have to live among the future generations that will be vastly affected. (our offspring and theirs etc)
I use factory emissions including a cat but it's a 3" hi flow cat which passes e-tests and has no measurable differences vs a test pipe. Going with a same year or later swap is cool and can do nothing but benefit.

#21 ·
thanks captain planet.... so while the US is so ECO friendly and you think your going to change the OZONE think of all the other major contributers to the depleting ozone that dont give a shit what happens AKA China, Russia, Iran..... your ONE car with a highflow cat isnt going to change shit.....we might as well be all driving semi trucks.... just my .02

#30 ·
You have to realize that car emissions are just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to global warming. The major contributor is all factories especially the corn production that the federal gov't subsidizes so they can poison us all. Almost everything has f***ing corn in it now. If you are really against global warming you should not buy anything with high fructose corn syrup in it, or corn fed beef. The federal gov't causes more harm to the environment by subsidizing large companies than it does protecting it by having smog requirements. Think about it.

Liberal for life!

#32 ·
Actually global warming has been shown to be a complete and udder fraud. Al Gore and his groupies where falsifying data since at least 1996 to push through a carbon taxing and a carbon credit program so he and his friends could get rich....

Look it up. The suns intensity has gotten stronger. Mars has lost its ice caps. Jupiter has moons that are thawing.

Stupid hippies ruin everything....... Peace, peace, when there is no peace.:1poke:

#33 · (Edited)
First off i own a lexus sc300 so i usually just come here for addition information that's not covered on clublexus, thats why its my first post. Secondly, the the theroy that global warming doesn't exist is all BS started by the bible thumpin ******** and corrupt factory/ car company owners who don't want to lose business. Al Gore had many clear facts to back up his argument. The people who believe global warming is a myth are the same people who still believe in creationism.

#34 ·
Looks like you still havent looked anything up Mr atheist. Its okay I understand you dont have the ability to use discernment.

Your just another mouth spouting opinion with no basis or facts. Go watch inconvenient truth and question your master Al Gore.

#40 ·
I find it amazing the mods will lock my thread because there is a heated debate over an engine, That has supporting facts from both sides; that was not even juvenile or hostile. Yet this thread is still around and its gone to compleate shit with childish bickering back and forth. . . .Great moderation, Abuse of power?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.