broken spark plug fell in cylinder 1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: broken spark plug fell in cylinder 1

SupraForums Member tharussian45's Avatar

broken spark plug fell in cylinder 1

so today i was changing my spark plugs when the spark plug on cylinder 1 broke, and a piece fell in cylinder 1. i thought i got it out, but turns out i didn't... started the motor, and i could hear the piece bouncing around in the motor and it made a bad knocking sound. just wondering if my valves are gone or bent? and what is the worst that could happen? do i need a new head? piston? valves? etc.. any input would be good. has this happened to anyone before and what was the damage? really pissed at myself at this point... maybe its time to do a gte swap....

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    time to pull head and inspect.. there isnt any other way to know for sure.

im gonna start tomorrow i guess... FML. btw.. does anyone know what years lexus sc300 heads will work for my 94 supra?

SupraForums Member
    man that sucks, i think that motor is done...

T61 NA-T - SOLD
    Cammed Vette - Current

im hoping its just the head... i can get a used head for a sc300 for $250 in the tampa area... and i hope the piston itself is not messed up... the piece that fell was not the metal part of the spark plug, so i hope it was soft enough to not do too much damage...

SupraForums Member
    Pull the head and inspect, it's the only way. Hopefully you only have a bent valve, but it may be worse. That part that broke up was probably the ceramic part, which is a very hard material...enough to do some damage. Good luck man.
    67 with fuel.
    Built by M&S

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunFacelift View Post
    The Ferrari sounds nice, but your Sup... :eek: Sounds like Zeus himself bellowing a harmonious tune :drool:

SupraForums Member
    hopefully, please keep us updated.

Damn that sucks man, gonna have to pull the head off. Hope there isnt any bad damage

thanks for the input guys.. so does anyone know if the sc300 head will work on the 94 na supra?

2JZ NA-T
    any 2jz head will fit as long as it non-vvti.. 250 is a bit pricey i think... thats just me though.. dont rush into buying a head just yet, it might be a lot worse, or not that bad.. just pull the head and see what what you find. keep us updated...that sucks..
    1995 NA-TT (6spd, Aristo TT swap)

RGA-Photography
    www.rga-photos.com
    Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rga-photography/

Thanks Ravan. I really hope it's just somethig minor. That way if I need to I can just swap heads and be done with it.

Let us know what you get the head for if you have to go that route

Well, there's a junk yard near Tampa that has them for $250, but the only thing is that it's for a sc300.

that's kinda quick to call the head wasted... if it runs on all its cylinders it may be fine. depending on how big the chunk was that went into the cylinder the piston and combustion chamber areas are likely damaged a little. do a leakdown test, and if possible inspect the bore with a bore scope... you may save yourself some time and money. but if the hideous noises are consistently happening, and its obviously not running on all six, than yeah, the head's probably wasted, likely other parts too.

Sisu Research & Development, Specializing in Expandable Fuel Injector Sales/Production.
    I'm currently not taking any new orders. I do plan to still build injectors in the future.
    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
    stable:
    90 supra, bw s366, 272 cams, srd 1400cc, e85, front/rear bbk, 2jz, megasquirt diypnp
    91 eagle talon tsi, bw s258, forged 6 bolt, built close ratio trans, PTT twin disc, evo brakes

2JZ NA-T
    you can literaly pull the head within a matter of a few hours if you got the tools, experience, or some one to help, i gues you could go with a bore scope to see right off the bat if you find signs of severe damage..but then if you dont find signs of severe damage i would still pull the head just to make sure everything is ok... but thats just me.

that is a good question though, how big was the chunk that fell in?

SupraForums Member
    How big of a piece are we talking here? If its just the electrode, it wont cause any harm and your engine will probably spit it out. If a harder piece of the spark plug somehow fell in, then I wouldn't start it. As long as you didn't let it run for too long to damage anything, all you have to do is pull the head, clean out whatever it was, resurface and bolt it back on with a new gasket/bolts.
    | 1994 Toyota Supra 5-Speed NA-T |

| BoostWerx T-61 | Boostlogic 2.5MM HG| AEM Fuel/Engine Controls | Precision FMIC |
    | HKS SSQV |Megan Coilvers | F1 Stage III Clutch |

I ran into this problem before. We dropped a single white chip of the ceramic from a spark plug. We just cranked it with no spark plug and the chip fellow out right away.

1990 Grand National Black Hardtop - Methanol powered 7M | SP61 | AEM EMS | JE | Eagle | OS valves | Tial WG | HPF Intercooler | KSracing FFIM | 272 BC cams | HKS Stopper HG | Spec 3 Clutch | Fluidyne Rad | 3" Blitz Nur-Spec Exhaust | 680cc Injs | -8AN Custom Fuel | Dual Fuel pumps | Stance Coilovers| | AVC-R| AEM Wideband | Sway Bars | Slotted/Drilled Rotors | Axxis MM Pads | Pioneer 6.5" CD/GPS/DVD | 5.25" Infinityx4 | Volk GTC 18"X9" and 18"x10" | Bomex lip | Kaminari sides | 2 Tone Leather | MC modded R154 | NSX headlights

well, the piece was about the size of a jelly bean... and i only started it for about 10 seconds. it seemed to be running on all 6 cylinders perfectly, so im hoping that it didnt do too much damage, but i dont think the piece was small enough to get spat out... do you guys think it is still in the cylinder? or would it have gone to some other part of the engine? like would i be able to see it if i take the valve cover s off?

SupraForums Member
    Nothing should be damaged then. It's probably too big to get past your valves and into the exhaust.

You'd have to use a borescope in order to see what's in there. Grab a hose big enough to suck whatever fell in, but small enough to fit in the spark plug hole. Get a hold of a heavy duty shop vac and duct tape the shit out of hose to the vac. See if you can suck out whatever fell in, its worth a shot and might save you the trouble of having to dismantle half your engine.

good call on the vac... ill try that... started removing the intake manifold stuff so far... im stuck on the egr...what a pain... btw. where can i get a borescope? any auto parts store?

ok, heres some word on the progress...
    took the intake and valve covers off... got the egr finally...(hate that damn thing. took off some skin on my hands in the progress..) then i took all the spark plugs out and hand cranked the engine... went smoothly until cylinder 1 hits TDC... then i could feel and hear the ceramic piece start to get smushed... now i tried sticking a metal rod in the cylinder to see if i could feel a difference in height, and it seems that the piece is not in the cylinder itself (meaning its not laying on top of the piston). now does anyone know where it could be? stuck in between the valves maybe? not really sure... also, if i take the cams off, will i be able to see inside the cylinder? or at least the tops of the valves?

Found E85 NOT in NJ! twinturbosupra94's Avatar
    Damn man that sucks....wished you lived closer, I would give you my head for like $50 to help you out.

It could be sitting ontop of the piston still and the valves are pressing down on it

I have my old NA head if you need one it's got stock cams stock valves but no shims or buckets

$100 bucks
    Yosdany
    97 Single Turbo 6 Speed Hard Top(Tuned By Lance)

SupraForums Member
    Guy relax, a piece of ceramic isn't going to harm anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner562 View Post
    Guy relax, a piece of ceramic isn't going to harm anything.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text