jdm 2jzgte max boost

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: jdm 2jzgte max boost

SupraForums Member

jdm 2jzgte max boost

i have a 95 supra tt jdm... i am running now 12psi with down pipe and cat back and restriction ring... i was thinking about raising the boost. whats the max boost i can get without boost cut.... i have greddy profec spec2 boost controller.
    95 supra tt.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

JZ motors in everything!
    16 psi ?

^ really?...

The stock ceramic JDM turbos will handle 1.2bar (17.4psi). 1.2Bar should raise your power to around 400hp...

JDM turbos will in fact over boost far past their safe limit and reach over 1.6bar (23.2psi). The small size of the JDM wastegate cannot cope with the increase in exhaust gasses and is held back. At these pressures the ceramic blades in the turbo can become detached from the shaft and therefore cause failure of the turbo. On the USDM turbos this is not a problem as The wastegate size is bigger than the JDM's. In order to add some restriction back in to the exhaust for the JDM's, a restrictor ring is added to the exhaust system. Boost will depend on the size of the restrictor ring. Some people Opt for a 1bar restrictor ring. This is the level of boost for normal driving, and use a boost controller for the high setting of 1.2bar. What size is your ring?

The stock fuel pump in the JDM is not considered suitable for BPU level power, the one in the USDM is higher specification and will be suitable.
    The Walbro 255lph pump is commonly used and will be suffiecent to supply enough fuel to bpu levels above 1bar.
    Last edited by RogueSupra; 06-03-2010 at 05:21 AM.
    MKIV Parts for sale ....
    http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-Greddy-intake

If you can READ this thank a teacher. If its in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

^what he says^
    (except I think it's not the entire blades that are ceramic but only a coating on them)

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSupra View Post
    ^ really?...

The stock ceramic JDM turbos will handle 1.2bar (17.4psi). 1.2Bar should raise your power to around 400hp...

JDM turbos will in fact over boost far past their safe limit and reach over 1.6bar (23.2psi). The small size of the JDM wastegate cannot cope with the increase in exhaust gasses and is held back. At these pressures the ceramic blades in the turbo can become detached from the shaft and therefore cause failure of the turbo. On the USDM turbos this is not a problem as The wastegate size is bigger than the JDM's. In order to add some restriction back in to the exhaust for the JDM's, a restrictor ring is added to the exhaust system. Boost will depend on the size of the restrictor ring. Some people Opt for a 1bar restrictor ring. This is the level of boost for normal driving, and use a boost controller for the high setting of 1.2bar. What size is your ring?

The stock fuel pump in the JDM is not considered suitable for BPU level power, the one in the USDM is higher specification and will be suitable.
    The Walbro 255lph pump is commonly used and will be suffiecent to supply enough fuel to bpu levels above 1bar.
    i have a 2" restriction ring and it never boosts more then 12 psi.... i have to boost controller but dont know how to work that thing.... so how do i raise the boost to 16 psi or 17 max without having any problems or boost cut

SupraForums Member
    ^ really?...

Good info. I wasn't aware that the JDM stock fuel pump was any different than the USDM.

I also have a JDM TT, but will but I'll be replacing the stock pump with twin Densos.

stock fuel pump is fine.

my mine's ecu was able to pump out 10.4 AFR at WOT at 1.3bar with the oem jdm fuel pump.
    its the same fuel pump as NA supra's with a different part number and i believe its about 190lph.

that said i wouldnt take it over 16-18psi or you convert to time bomb. and you may ping a bit unless you can get some 94 octane.

good to see a restrictor ring being used, 12 psi is perfect boost off wastegate alone.
    figure out that boost controller and your in business.

also i doubt you will hit 400rwhp. but you will definitely get near it.
    mine dynoed 360rwhp on a mustang dyno at 16psi, and at 18psi with a lightweight flywheel it chirped 3rd gear and BAKED off 2nd gear to a degree way more than the previous 360whp@16 with oem clutch kit.
    Last edited by agm; 06-03-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    -adam ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

701whp/517wtq pump/meth, revs to the freaking moon son (tuned by bill)
    rps header, hks t51r kai, rps triple carbon, open dump, 4" exhaust, aem v2, gsc s2 cams, ported head, dualsprings, titanium retainers, shimless buckets, +1mm valves, 8500 rpm rev limit.
    sample vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHeSk4StvpM

SupraForums Member
    i have been trying to mess with this greddy profec specb 2 boost controller and its making me crazy anyone knows how to set this thing

JZ motors in everything!
    ^ really?...
    Isn't boost cut 16 psi on jdm 2jzgte?

Quote Originally Posted by drift4u View Post
    i have been trying to mess with this greddy profec specb 2 boost controller and its making me crazy anyone knows how to set this thing
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...e-version.html

^ I tuned mine in about 5min... its really easy and holds rock solid. I dunno why alot of people complain about it being a crappy controller. I had HKS EVC also before and it was just as easy to tune.

SupraForums Member
    i kinda got it... but mine now its boosts up to 16psi in first gear then second and after only 12psi

Postcount ≠ Intelligence AlterEgo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch_hs View Post
    Isn't boost cut 16 psi on jdm 2jzgte?
    Negative, boost cut is 14.7 psi. JDM turbos suck. Period. Boost them to whatever you want, they will eventually start smoking. Go single or get a USDM set.
    1990 Toyota Supra TT - 1JZ-GTE
    1999 Lexus GS300 - 2JZ-GTE VVT-i

this reminds me that i need to get a restrictor ring before i get the exhaust installed.......
    SC300 2jzgte/6spd - FINALLY UNDER THE KNIFE!!!

if boost cut is 14.7psi how do you guys manage to get 16+ psi?

Quote Originally Posted by agm View Post
    stock fuel pump is fine.

my mine's ecu was able to pump out 10.4 AFR at WOT at 1.3bar with the oem jdm fuel pump.
    its the same fuel pump as NA supra's with a different part number and i believe its about 190lph.

that said i wouldnt take it over 16-18psi or you convert to time bomb. and you may ping a bit unless you can get some 94 octane.

good to see a restrictor ring being used, 12 psi is perfect boost off wastegate alone.
    figure out that boost controller and your in business.

also i doubt you will hit 400rwhp. but you will definitely get near it.
    mine dynoed 360rwhp on a mustang dyno at 16psi, and at 18psi with a lightweight flywheel it chirped 3rd gear and BAKED off 2nd gear to a degree way more than the previous 360whp@16 with oem clutch kit.
    i also have a mines ecu that came with my swap, should i be worried about using 93oct fuel???

SupraForums Member
    i have no idea why its getting 16psi in first gear then comes back down to 12 psi the rest of the gears

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FUZION84 View Post
    if boost cut is 14.7psi how do you guys manage to get 16+ psi?

Get a BCC(Boost Cut Controller) from Greddy and wire it in. Its super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeshaun A. View Post
    Negative, boost cut is 14.7 psi. JDM turbos suck. Period. Boost them to whatever you want, they will eventually start smoking. Go single or get a USDM set.
    This makes no sense man... JDM turbos run just as well, if not better, than US/EU spec up to 1.2 bar at least. You can push US spec further but that will also demand more cooling by upgrading the IC to get anything from that. Up to that poing the JDM have a bit faster spool and will handle all you can throw at them.

To the OP. Have you checked out your Restrictor Ring and what size it is? I't might be a bit restrictive.. Best solution would be to get the car running a max of 1 bar and then boosting to 1.2 using the BC. Get someone who knows it to set it up for you. No need to risk screwing up your tubbies..

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bodilx6 View Post
    This makes no sense man... JDM turbos run just as well, if not better, than US/EU spec up to 1.2 bar at least. You can push US spec further but that will also demand more cooling by upgrading the IC to get anything from that. Up to that poing the JDM have a bit faster spool and will handle all you can throw at them.

To the OP. Have you checked out your Restrictor Ring and what size it is? I't might be a bit restrictive.. Best solution would be to get the car running a max of 1 bar and then boosting to 1.2 using the BC. Get someone who knows it to set it up for you. No need to risk screwing up your tubbies..
    I totally agree .

Quote Originally Posted by bodilx6 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mitulparmar787 View Post
    I totally agree .
    OK, then explain to me why is it that every ceramic wheeled turbo iv ever owned eventually started smoking? On my old black supra which i owned years ago, i had to replace the ceramic twins over and over and they would always eventually start smoking...Currently on my SC300, i replaced my ceramic twins with a mint USDM set. No smoke. Also, i must add that my vehicles are very well maintained so i know its not user error or neglect. Besides, many forum members will agree that USDM turbos will always be more reliable versus the JDM counterpart. I think the problem is that the USDM crowd like to run the stock twins at or around the 18 psi range on pump gas and when ppl try to do that with JDM twins...they fail. JDM turbos may be reliable but probably at a much lower amount of boost. This is just my speculation. Sure they spool quicker, ceramic is lighter than steel. Either way, i lost faith in JDM turbos years ago and im not going back on that. Besides, its time to go single anyway.

SupraForums Member
    OK, then explain to me why is it that every ceramic wheeled turbo iv ever owned eventually started smoking? On my old black supra which i owned years ago, i had to replace the ceramic twins over and over and they would always eventually start smoking...Currently on my SC300, i replaced my ceramic twins with a mint USDM set. No smoke. Also, i must add that my vehicles are very well maintained so i know its not user error or neglect. Besides, many forum members will agree that USDM turbos will always be more reliable versus the JDM counterpart. I think the problem is that the USDM crowd like to run the stock twins at or around the 18 psi range on pump gas and when ppl try to do that with JDM twins...they fail. JDM turbos may be reliable but probably at a much lower amount of boost. This is just my speculation. Sure they spool quicker, ceramic is lighter than steel. Either way, i lost faith in JDM turbos years ago and im not going back on that. Besides, its time to go single anyway.
    I've got approximately 117-118k miles on my Aristo VVTi with stock jspec twins (ones that came from the factory and not replaced throughout the cars life). Out of that the car has been BPU for around 10k miles with me constantly hitting 18psi at the very least - in cold weather I'm easily seeing 21-22psi at WOT @ 80mph. I'm basically running them at the "edge" and have been for the past two years. As a matter of fact with some pre-compressor water injection I intend on running them at a minimum of 1.4 bar (20psi) and hopefully see around 1.6 bar (23 psi) at the most.

A number of people here in the UK have had BPU cars with jspecs with lots of miles running 18psi with no issues.

You may not have been neglecting the car or turbo's but have you wondered how they were treated before you got them?

Let's just agree to disagree .

Quote Originally Posted by FUZION84 View Post
    i also have a mines ecu that came with my swap, should i be worried about using 93oct fuel???
    ...i wouldnt worry

keep an ear out for pinging.

Quote Originally Posted by mitulparmar787 View Post
    I've got approximately 117-118k miles on my Aristo VVTi with stock jspec twins (ones that came from the factory and not replaced throughout the cars life). Out of that the car has been BPU for around 10k miles with me constantly hitting 18psi at the very least - in cold weather I'm easily seeing 21-22psi at WOT @ 80mph. I'm basically running them at the "edge" and have been for the past two years. As a matter of fact with some pre-compressor water injection I intend on running them at a minimum of 1.4 bar (20psi) and hopefully see around 1.6 bar (23 psi) at the most.

A number of people here in the UK have had BPU cars with jspecs with lots of miles running 18psi with no issues.

You may not have been neglecting the car or turbo's but have you wondered how they were treated before you got them?

Let's just agree to disagree .
    The 2jz-gte VVTI twins are steel wheeled from the factory or it may be that the front wheel is steel and rear wheel is ceramic. One of the two. I was referring to the full ceramic JDM non vvti twins...but ill just agree to disagree just as you said.

Oh and AGM, im using a Blitz Access ECU with a JDM TT fuel pump and 440s and iv been up to 18 psi on pump 93 without issues to further back you up.
    Last edited by AlterEgo; 06-07-2010 at 10:54 AM.

OK, then explain to me why is it that every ceramic wheeled turbo iv ever owned eventually started smoking? On my old black supra which i owned years ago, i had to replace the ceramic twins over and over and they would always eventually start smoking...
    Well, we can all be unlucky getting some badly kept used parts or so. That you have seen it several times, I cannot explain. I just know that we are many people 'over the pond' using JDMs for years and years without any trouble.
    The reccomended setup is 1 bar max boost at normal driving and then boosting them to 1.2 when needed with a BC. That should result in them lasting almost indefinatly.
    I have been running mine at 1.1-1.2 bar (16-17.5 psi) for 4 years and 30.000+ miles now at that pressure (they have a total of 90.000miles now) as have an endless number of people mainly in the UK done as well.

I think that the US view on the JDMs is down to two things.
    • Gossip/lack of nowledge/trusting too many stories
    • Few people actually using them and these people are not the main core of supraforums contributors

As you mention, people also push their US tubbies just a tad more in the US than in the UK as the 1.2bar max is generally kept and well undestood. By understood, I mean that pushing beyond that rarely (if ever) results in more power at the wheels.

The point is that if you stick to what has been proved many many times over here, they should last just fine. But when you start to push them or "disrespect" the rule of thumb, they will disintegrate way quicker that the US spec that will live with more of a beating.

wow, 18psi on 440s. Whats the limit on those and what was your a/f ratio?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast