Illinois Temporary License Plates

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Illinois Temporary License Plates

Illinois Temporary License Plates

Hi, does anyone know how to get a temporary tag so I can transport a vehicle from out of state to Illinois? What's the process on doing so and until upto how long is a temp tag valid?

Thanks..

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

1995 Supra Turbo- SOLD
    67GT40, 264/272, SP 4" Midpipe & Downpipe, HKS Ti Exhaust, AEM tuned by Larry @ Sound Performance, SP Built Trans with 4k TC, etc etc...

2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
    Stock....

Thanks Dan, I already checked that website. Here's the exact link for temporary tags.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...ation/trp.html

Does anybody have a first hand experience? What information is needed? Do i need to get a temp tag to where the vehicle is being bought or where the vehicle is being transported?

Is the car being driven in or towed in?

I would like to drive it back if I can get a temp tag. If not, ithe last option is get it shipped here..

SupraForums Member
    You can get a TRP at the DMV if my memory serves right. That means you have to register your car and get new plates for it. They will issue you a TRP for the time being which is good up to 90 days. That way you can drive your car while you wait for your new plate to come in. You obviously would register your new plates in IL, so they would issue you an IL TRP. If you purchase a used car from a PP (private party) and don't have a plate to drive it up that's okay. Have a bill of sale ready and everything dated, filled out correctly, and signed by both parties. I believe you have up to 10 days before it expires. If you get pulled over without a plate during that time (ex: driving home from the seller's location), show the bill of sale to the police officer and tell him you just purchased this car. If it's within ten days you should be okay.

I can probably help you out with the TRP's since I am a licensed vehicle dealer and have my own dealership. I get a box of 50 TRP's at a time. PM if you want.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...ons/vsd193.pdf

That's the application for an Illinois 7 day permit, check with what state you are buying from, more than likely the DMV there can issue you something similar. I've picked up cars from across the country, usually I just take a plate off my other car and toss it on. Ride with title and bill of sale.
    3 Time Supra Owner

Thanks for all the response. I decided to just save the hassle and get the car transported here. 5 days and now counting..

+ Reply to Thread