water temp gauge wiring to ignition

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: water temp gauge wiring to ignition

murdering the wallet cricketjoe1's Avatar

water temp gauge wiring to ignition

So i bought a cyberdyne water temp gauge with sender. i read the instructions and it is to be wired to the ignition and it says to just hookup to the accessory fuse in the fuse box... sound unsafe?

i think i would rather just splice into the actual wire

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...px?S=Main&P=40

according to the wiring diagram the ignition is a single wire.

anyone know where it is?

what about the dimmer connection? instructions says to hookup to switched light source
    ~$$$ your t̶a̶x̶ ̶d̶o̶l̶l̶a̶r̶s̶ fund my pos 7̶M̶ MKlll, thx $$$~

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

so let me re-ask this so someone can give me some clues. If you have any AEM gauges where was the ignition wire to splice to?

supra is 1990 7mgte

Ok so your AEM gauge says to hook a wire up to ignition?

This generally means switched +12v... invest in a voltmeter, start testing for wires under the dash that show 12v only when the ignition is ON and 0v when it is off.

EDIT: And the illumination wire... same thing find a gauge illumination wire that shows voltage when the lights are on, so your gauge only illuminates when your headlights/parking lights are lit.

/thread
    Last edited by TRD91whtMK3; 09-27-2010 at 05:06 PM.
    Women: Unsupportive of man shit since the invention of the first wheel. Which was most-likely heavy, rolled downhill, into some trees and repeated many times over.

ahh yes i do have a voltmeter around here. didnt even think about using that. so just a refresher since i havent used a voltmeter on a car before; i touch 1 contact on an open wire and the other on a ground right?

thanks for the insight

Yes, put the black one to ground (anything larger and solid metal, really) and the red contact to the wire you wish to test.

To make it easier on yourself: Start near any sort of plug... like fog light switch, dimmer switch etc, this will make it much easier to find a switched +12V source without having to cut into the insulation and taping each wire back up as you go.

(Live) Duluth, MN / (work)Minneapolis, MN
    Blog Entries
    Why splice?
    Im using these on mine. You plug the whole unit into the fuse you are "tapping". It holds two fuses. One that will run (lets say your ignition) and the other which has a wire you connect to your gauge... or whatever.http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...A|GRP2020A____ Yeah they are $6. Beats the heck out of cutting in to your wires.
    Also get some of these fuses, Smart Fuse. Choose the amperage you need. BTW... when these fuses blow... they light up. Easy to find that blown fuse.
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...Term=smartfuse

FYI You could tap pretty much anything in your fuse block that comes on with the key.

Ya cant go wrong. At least you arent cutting your harness to do it.
    Lemme know how it turns out.
    GL
    Last edited by IamWedge; 09-27-2010 at 07:54 PM.
    Its not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with your stupidity and make it work for you. FZ

thanks for the suggestion IamWedge. I'm actually using some pinch/crimp splicers from radioshack. Its the same thing like you mentioned but without the fuses.

well the voltmeter worked awesome at confirming the ignition wires. double checked the voltage and wires and realized that i can splice into a plug n play harness from my turbo timer. i can cut up the turbo timer harness and still leave the car's harness intact . and the dimmer wire will be hooked up to the fog light circuit. thank you TRD91whtMK3!

and if anyone stumbles upon this and wonders what color the ignition wire is for a 90 7mgte... its orange black

supraforums is pretty awesome most of the times

(Live) Duluth, MN / (work)Minneapolis, MN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoe1 View Post
    and if anyone stumbles upon this and wonders what color the ignition wire is for a 90 7mgte... its orange black
    No problem Joe.
    So that ignition wire..... Is that Orange with a black stripe?

yes, i believe so. toyota electrical diagrams says black-orange wire is coming from ignition switch and i volt tested it too.

SupraForums Member syntax_error234's Avatar
    "So i bought a cyberdyne water temp gauge with sender"

I didn't know skynet was making products for our mark 3's. GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!
    The solution to the problem only changes the parameters of the problem.

I'm building a rocket, lets hope it doesn't turn out to be a grenade.

"I got the normal injectors back in it (1400cc's)"
    Juhanis

SupraForums Member
    for finding wires, typically the ignition wire is just driving a relay so it doesn't need a lot of power. Main power for the gauge comes from the battery directly (I ran a cable to a barrier strip, pics will come soon) and then hook that in to either the cigarette lighter or the radio. Radio is a bonus since most harnesses are labeled with the correct wire. That's what I've been using, works with a LOT of accessories that I have added. Just be sure that the main power wire is fused correctly and isn't also powering a bunch of other shit.
    Finally about to get "that fucking car" assembled so the wife will stop nagging. Build thread coming soon!

so... is it possible to overload the ignition circuit with only 2 gauges? i attempted to started the car up this morning, heard a pop and the car alarm starts blarring. now it won't start. no diagnostic codes. any suggestions.

No, some people are WAY over-anal... Sounds to me like you popped a fuse/relay. Also, the car won't start when the alarm is going off, this is normal.

+ Reply to Thread