SupraStore.com-Marlin Crawler R154 ReBuild Kit

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SupraStore.com-Marlin Crawler R154 ReBuild Kit

SupraForums Member Doitzel_Kaiser's Avatar

SupraStore.com-Marlin Crawler R154 ReBuild Kit

So I purchased the ULTIMATE R-154 Build Kit from Suprastore.com Featuring some classy Marlin Crawler Parts.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves but some things that stood out to me
    • Complete Synchro and OEM Bearing set
    • MC pieces Dated so they are made to order
    • Seals included
    • Torque specs engraved on MC pieces which require fastners
    • Robust design of Shift fork

More pics to come

My Supra cosists of a built tranny R154/R150F Hybrid with MC parts, a Built block, pnp head, JE Pistons, HKS SS BOV, 3.5" CV one piece 63" Long Driveshaft and a shit load of powder coated parts...Oh ya, its in a 1990 Xtra Cab Pickup
    Quote Originally Posted by kwnate View Post
    So remember kids, Don't be a fucking retard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    i want ti so bad but im afraid of their service

More Like GrayGoose89 bluebullet89's Avatar
    just looked at the site... that is a a really good price... i mean is suprastore really that bad on the service end?
    Doug
    *1989 Toyota Supra 1JZ-GTE 5 speed swap
    AEM V2 | 3"Intercooler | Tanabe Hyper Medallion | Walbro 255 | Stock Twins | 22psi | ACT 6puck extreme | LW Flywheel | ACT PP | MC R154 | 372whp, 420wtq

2001 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
    1998 Toyota Camry
    (^_^)

Bend/break those forks and you're doing it wrong.

What about the gears and synchros as well as bearings and thrust washer?

Stay away from SupraStore! Contact Aaron @ DriftMotion. Plus his prices and customer service is the best in our Supra community.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOOLN30 View Post
    Stay away from SupraStore! Contact Aaron @ DriftMotion. Plus his prices and customer service is the best in our Supra community.
    This. He can get you anything Marlin Crawler that you want!
    '89 Supra, 1JZ-GTE, PowerFC, SP67DBB, HKS 256 Cams, Dual Walbros, 880cc Injectors, Tial 44, Rush Racing Anti-lag, Competition Clutch, R154, Tein Coilovers, etc!
    '95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD, Built Motor, Built Trans, Ball Bearing GT35R, DSM Link V3, 465 AWHP and 390 Torque On Pump Gas!
    '03 Cadillac DeVille DTS
    '01 Lexus IS300

Struggling to build a turd is what most 7M owners are all about, along with avoiding rodknock and BHG's.

driftmotion sells all of this for less.

+1 for Driftmotion, check them out.

More Like GrayGoose89 bluebullet89's Avatar
    ya that is a lot better of a deal. so as i can see driftmotion includes ALL the bearings/seals/syncros. too early to call Aaron from DM but are the bearings in the DM kit NACHI or of similar or better/worse quality?

I added up the other shift fork and stuff from Marlin crawler and looks like about $560 for a full kit from DM.

So i would get the full kit from drift motion along with 1-2 shift fork $130, bearing retainer $80, and thrust washer $80... I also see a 1st Gear Thrust washer $19 NOT from marlin crawler but Toyota http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...rustwasher.php correct me if i'm wrong but the MC thrust washer is the same thing just VAMPED up and a lot stronger.
    Last edited by bluebullet89; 12-20-2010 at 11:14 AM.

What is the material the fork is made of? Is it billet aluminum or what? And is that the 3-4 fork? Its been half a decade since I've been inside an r154...

Btw, i havent seen the stock fork bend. I've only seen where it breaks the ribs that engage the synchro slider collar. I usually see them broken off near the ends/tips of the fork.
    -Chris-
    `89 2jzgte/bl366r in progress 7mgte custom bits available here
    `01 EJ251, GC8 IHE, Volks, coilovers, bracing, huge brakes: other Daily-driver/HPDE/hill-climb
    `00 TA T56, Moser 9", strange, bmr chassis components, SLP int/exh, Pro5.0 shift, Innov LC1, NX 150 fogger,
    `79 WS6, Trans am, new motor, longtubes/H/Flow's, built TH350, restored 1996: collecting dust/rats/value
    Video intro to my supra: watch it here!
    "It'll never be finished, the way fashion is never 'Finished'..."

Is teh retainer REALLY necessary? I mean does the OEM one actually wear to the point where it cant keep the main shaft steady? it just seems unlikely to me.

It might run right......? yakuzastinger's Avatar
    U guys can just get that stuff directly from marlin crawler u dont need to go through another vendor. I can say this about the fork i have broke 2 of the cast stockers at the track in the manner that fluby aformentioned. I dont know if its necassary but every MC r154 i have ever drove is AMAZING. If i was sticking to a 5 speed my tranny would be a MC tranny
    A short cut is hard because if it was easy it would just be the way

The kit from Supra Store comes with all the Synchros Bearing and Seals.

The Fork is billet chromoly

I found out about DM after.

Quote Originally Posted by bassjunkiens5 View Post
    Bend/break those forks and you're doing it wrong.

What about the gears and synchros as well as bearings and thrust washer?
    Lol, will post picks of other pieces.

SupraForums Member SupraMedical68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebullet89 View Post
    just looked at the site... that is a a really good price... i mean is suprastore really that bad on the service end?
    I just looked at their website for the first time in months and it seems like they've revamped things a little. I wonder if they're trying to clean up the shitty reputation they have. Website looks really professional and legit. However, after seeing all the complaints against them in the past two years though I'd probably never do business again reguardless..
    1990 Supra - 1JZ-GTE, single turbo
    1994 Supra TT
    1995 SC300 - 2JZ-GTE

Quote Originally Posted by Boostage View Post
    Is teh retainer REALLY necessary? I mean does the OEM one actually wear to the point where it cant keep the main shaft steady? it just seems unlikely to me.
    It's not wear that's the issue, it's deflection under load. The stock piece is stamped steel and flexes under load. The thicker billet piece resists deflection and keeps all the bits where they need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Doitzel_Kaiser View Post
    The kit from Supra Store comes with all the Synchros Bearing and Seals.

The Fork is billet chromoly

I found out about DM after.
    Looks like billet aluminum, not chromoly.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Zach90Turbo View Post
    It's not wear that's the issue, it's deflection under load. The stock piece is stamped steel and flexes under load. The thicker billet piece resists deflection and keeps all the bits where they need to be.

Looks like billet aluminum, not chromoly.
    My Mistake Fork is Aluminum.

From the Marlin Crawler Website

"We are proud to release our all-new high strength 7075-T6 billet aluminum R-series transmission 1st-2nd shift fork."

Bearing Retainer is Tool Steel
    "CNC machined from top quality USA tool steel and will long out live the factory original."

Nice looking kit-has anyone run one for a while and beat on it?
    Mustang LX - 600HP and climbing - http://www.mk3.us/mike/stang/buildup.asp
    Supra Turbo - http://www.mk3.us/mike/

1999 Camaro B4C-Supra killer
    1990 GTZ Beretta
    1988 Toyota MR2 SC
    1983 Toyota Corolla SR5 Hatchback

SupraForums Member
    Very interested in following your build with the MC parts. I do have a R154 question since yours is apart? Can you confirm the number of teeth on the gear for the rear ABS sensor. I searched all over and couldn't find a definite answer. Thanks.

SupraForums Member
    Those 2 washers that Driftmotion offers are they both for 1:st Gear?

One sells for $19 and the other one for $79.99 ?

Isnīt there 2 thrust washers in R154?

Flying Dutchman Pilot! joliroger4's Avatar
    Lets clear a few things up

The upgrade fork is for 1-2 and is made of 7075 billet aluminum. The stock one will not bend, it is cast. The problem Marlin addressed is the hub sleeve wearing the fork ridges and creating an out of spec thrust between the fork and hub sleeve.

The thrust washer and retainer plate are both chromoly, neither are tool steel, however, the older MC retainer plates were tool steel. The alloy is engraved on the retainer in the pic you posted.

The point of the retainer plate is not to address plate wear, but to add strength under the increased load that a higher horsepower car will produce in order to prevent plate flex. The idea is to stop the main shaft from moving, otherwise the shaft will start to bow under load, create heat, reduce lubrication and start to spit out thrust washers, first gear, hub, etc.

There is one thrust washer in the R154 on the output shaft. There is another for 5th gear, but it is on the countershaft and is pretty insignificant as far as strength is concerned.
    93 Toyota Pickup 7MGTE PT67 TH350 2840lbs W/Driver
    9.22 @ 144.5 1.32 60'

94TT Auto
    11.2@118 BPU 11.80@121 stock converter

90 Turbo Hardtop PT67 TH350 680 Wheel No NOS
    9.59 @ 141 1.37 60' 3520lbs

Bringing this thread back from the dead...My 1-2nd fork went out. I had recently rebuilt my R154 but apparently 400HP/410TQ was too much? I was looking at the SupraStore Ultimate Kit mentioned above, but had some concerns about durability. Anyone familiar with this kit? I wanna get some feedback before i order it and have Speed Image here in Colorado rebuild it for me!
    95 240JZ 410HP Stock USDM Twins
    11.89 @ 120mph at 6,000ft of Altitude (Colorado)

Dan, did you ever end up getting your r154 figured out, fixed, and handling over 400ft lb? Just curious because I am building one now, and have well over 400 ft lb myself.
    Courage is fear that has said its prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRDhybrid View Post
    Dan, did you ever end up getting your r154 figured out, fixed, and handling over 400ft lb? Just curious because I am building one now, and have well over 400 ft lb myself.
    The forks are only used for selecting gears, they have zero effect on torque capacity. Broken forks are caused by manhandling gear changes, nothing else.

I'm on a stock, unopened R154 with who knows how many miles and I'm around 570 torque on drag radials, nothing broken yet. Don't do clutch dumps and don't force shifts and you'll be fine.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach90Turbo View Post
    The forks are only used for selecting gears, they have zero effect on torque capacity. Broken forks are caused by manhandling gear changes, nothing else.

I'm on a stock, unopened R154 with who knows how many miles and I'm around 570 torque on drag radials, nothing broken yet. Don't do clutch dumps and don't force shifts and you'll be fine.
    I was ct-26 57trim bpu with safc, 550,lex maf and somehow grenaded it launching without dropping, first gear thrust washer went kaboom.

Seeing how hard it is to find a R154 in Qc nowaday, I prefer the peace of mind of MC upgrades

+ Reply to Thread