Supra Forums banner

SupraStore.com-Marlin Crawler R154 ReBuild Kit

21K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Shipkiller 
#1 ·
So I purchased the ULTIMATE R-154 Build Kit from Suprastore.com Featuring some classy Marlin Crawler Parts.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves but some things that stood out to me

• Complete Synchro and OEM Bearing set
  • MC pieces Dated so they are made to order
  • Seals included
  • Torque specs engraved on MC pieces which require fastners
  • Robust design of Shift fork

More pics to come

See less See more
#3 ·
just looked at the site... that is a a really good price... i mean is suprastore really that bad on the service end?

#15 ·
I just looked at their website for the first time in months and it seems like they've revamped things a little. I wonder if they're trying to clean up the shitty reputation they have. Website looks really professional and legit. However, after seeing all the complaints against them in the past two years though I'd probably never do business again reguardless..

#6 ·
This. He can get you anything Marlin Crawler that you want!

#9 · (Edited)
ya that is a lot better of a deal. so as i can see driftmotion includes ALL the bearings/seals/syncros. too early to call Aaron from DM but are the bearings in the DM kit NACHI or of similar or better/worse quality?

I added up the other shift fork and stuff from Marlin crawler and looks like about $560 for a full kit from DM.

So i would get the full kit from drift motion along with 1-2 shift fork $130, bearing retainer $80, and thrust washer $80... I also see a 1st Gear Thrust washer $19 NOT from marlin crawler but Toyota http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-r1541stgearthrustwasher.php correct me if i'm wrong but the MC thrust washer is the same thing just VAMPED up and a lot stronger.

#10 ·
What is the material the fork is made of? Is it billet aluminum or what? And is that the 3-4 fork? Its been half a decade since I've been inside an r154...

Btw, i havent seen the stock fork bend. I've only seen where it breaks the ribs that engage the synchro slider collar. I usually see them broken off near the ends/tips of the fork.

#16 ·
It's not wear that's the issue, it's deflection under load. The stock piece is stamped steel and flexes under load. The thicker billet piece resists deflection and keeps all the bits where they need to be.

The kit from Supra Store comes with all the Synchros Bearing and Seals.

The Fork is billet chromoly

I found out about DM after.
Looks like billet aluminum, not chromoly.

#17 ·
It's not wear that's the issue, it's deflection under load. The stock piece is stamped steel and flexes under load. The thicker billet piece resists deflection and keeps all the bits where they need to be.

Looks like billet aluminum, not chromoly.
My Mistake Fork is Aluminum.

From the Marlin Crawler Website

"We are proud to release our all-new high strength 7075-T6 billet aluminum R-series transmission 1st-2nd shift fork."

Bearing Retainer is Tool Steel
"CNC machined from top quality USA tool steel and will long out live the factory original."

#12 ·
U guys can just get that stuff directly from marlin crawler u dont need to go through another vendor. I can say this about the fork i have broke 2 of the cast stockers at the track in the manner that fluby aformentioned. I dont know if its necassary but every MC r154 i have ever drove is AMAZING. If i was sticking to a 5 speed my tranny would be a MC tranny

#13 ·
The kit from Supra Store comes with all the Synchros Bearing and Seals.

The Fork is billet chromoly

I found out about DM after.

#21 ·
Lets clear a few things up

The upgrade fork is for 1-2 and is made of 7075 billet aluminum. The stock one will not bend, it is cast. The problem Marlin addressed is the hub sleeve wearing the fork ridges and creating an out of spec thrust between the fork and hub sleeve.

The thrust washer and retainer plate are both chromoly, neither are tool steel, however, the older MC retainer plates were tool steel. The alloy is engraved on the retainer in the pic you posted.

The point of the retainer plate is not to address plate wear, but to add strength under the increased load that a higher horsepower car will produce in order to prevent plate flex. The idea is to stop the main shaft from moving, otherwise the shaft will start to bow under load, create heat, reduce lubrication and start to spit out thrust washers, first gear, hub, etc.

There is one thrust washer in the R154 on the output shaft. There is another for 5th gear, but it is on the countershaft and is pretty insignificant as far as strength is concerned.

#22 ·
Bringing this thread back from the dead...My 1-2nd fork went out. I had recently rebuilt my R154 but apparently 400HP/410TQ was too much? I was looking at the SupraStore Ultimate Kit mentioned above, but had some concerns about durability. Anyone familiar with this kit? I wanna get some feedback before i order it and have Speed Image here in Colorado rebuild it for me!

#24 ·
The forks are only used for selecting gears, they have zero effect on torque capacity. Broken forks are caused by manhandling gear changes, nothing else.

I'm on a stock, unopened R154 with who knows how many miles and I'm around 570 torque on drag radials, nothing broken yet. Don't do clutch dumps and don't force shifts and you'll be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.