kaaz diff

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kaaz diff

kaaz diff

So as it turns out I have a kaaz 2way LSD in my car, I came with the car so I'm not complaining my only question is what fluid should I run in it? I need to change it but I don't wanna buy the kaaz fluid, $50 for 2 liters, from what i have seen its designed to work with non synthetic oil but i dont know.
    What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    you can run any non synthetic

I run 80w-90 Castrol usually

Quote Originally Posted by tErbo b00st View Post
    you can run any non synthetic

I run 80w-90 Castrol usually
    This exactly! Run non-synthetic gear oil in clutch type LSD's. If you get LSD chatter, add just a tiny bit of friction modifier until the chattering goes away, and no more.

Congrats on the Kaaz diff, I love my Kaaz 2-way
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    "Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong -- look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver." -- Colin Chapman

Making people misspell 'Reckless' since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    This exactly! Run non-synthetic gear oil in clutch type LSD's. If you get LSD chatter, add just a tiny bit of friction modifier until the chattering goes away, and no more.

Congrats on the Kaaz diff, I love my Kaaz 2-way
    Beat me to it.
    '89 Supra, 1JZ-GTE, PowerFC, SP67DBB, HKS 256 Cams, Dual Walbros, 880cc Injectors, Tial 44, Rush Racing Anti-lag, Competition Clutch, R154, Tein Coilovers, etc!
    '95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD, Built Motor, Built Trans, Ball Bearing GT35R, DSM Link V3, 465 AWHP and 390 Torque On Pump Gas!
    '03 Cadillac DeVille DTS
    '01 Lexus IS300

Struggling to build a turd is what most 7M owners are all about, along with avoiding rodknock and BHG's.

not a poopra anymore! suprajztwenty's Avatar
    sorry, i know its off topic but i think the OP got his answer.
    my stock lsd only locks up doing a burnout or at a higher speed like in 2nd gear. im not trying to drift or anything, but i do have junk rear tires that im trying to wear out before i get new ones...just trying to have some donut fun, but once it starts to slide the diff opens and i get nowhere.

a bud of mine had subaru lsd oil left over from his project so i tried it cause its real thick. seemed to help a little, but the diff isnt that "limited" as much as i think it should be.

maybe the clutches are toast, is there any way to adjust the tolerance?...or ill just dig through the service manual if you guys agree that i have a problem with my rear end.
    Seems there is one thing that is reliable, and that is the quality of Aloshans threads.

SupraForums Member
    Yeah, your clutches are worn. I ran mine without friction modifier and it picked up a little slop but your best bet is to shim the clutch pack up tighter. But it will wear out again; the stock clutches don't last too long when running larger stickier tires and more than stock power.

exactly, im just thinking itd be a lot cheaper than buying another rear end and have the same problem later down the road. thanks man, ill look into the adjustments, just wasnt sure if it was possible or not.

Quote Originally Posted by suprajztwenty View Post

maybe the clutches are toast, is there any way to adjust the tolerance?...or ill just dig through the service manual if you guys agree that i have a problem with my rear end.
    There's a sticky in the MK3 tech section that covers rebuilding & improving the OEM LSD and diff in quite awesome depth - give it a look!
    http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...earend-carrier

Quote Originally Posted by ghmkiv View Post
    Is there a lot of noise with the jazz? Had one in an s13 and unless locked up it had almost a clunk to it on slow turns and what not
    The Kaaz I have is a DAT3020 2-way in a GS400 3.266 pumpkin for my GTE/6-spd converted '95 Supra SE. I installed the LSD according to TSRM specs and took my sweet time making sure it was perfect - I ended up ordering a different shim on one side to make it just right. While I haven't driven with that diff in my MK4, I did swap it into my Dad's 2JZ-GTE SC300 to make sure it was correct without any whine, noise, or issues. It was quiet and functions perfectly with straight Kaaz branded gear oil that was supplied with my DAT3020 from FRsport.

If that S13 was anything like what I see regularly in my local S13/S14 crowd, chances are the diff was simply slapped in there without any measurements whatsoever. Doing that might be 'close enough' some times, but it's likely to cause some kind of issue. A whining noise at speed tends to be an issue with the pinion & ring gear mesh, and clunking/weird noises in turns can be caused by the LSD itself sitting too loosely in the carrier or other parts of it were not torqued down enough.

Now, if it was properly installed, chances are it was simply chatter, and you might have just needed a little friction modifier added to the gear oil, or the wrong gear oil was being used.
    Last edited by Wreckless; 03-15-2011 at 01:08 PM.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    This exactly! Run non-synthetic gear oil in clutch type LSD's.
    Some clutch type LSD's do recommend synthetic gear oil only. I know the Nismo LSD's for S13 do so for example. But KAAZ recommends non synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by ghmkiv View Post
    Is there a lot of noise with the jazz? Had one in an s13 and unless locked up it had almost a clunk to it on slow turns and what not
    That is the nature of clutch type LSD. For OEM applications they don't lock up as hard which alleviates the chattering, but many of the aftermarket products have a certain amount of chatter. You should only get a "skipping" sound on low speed turns. KAAZ tends to be the worst, I believe this is due to less clutch plates and a cheaper friction material. My brothers Carbonetic has almost no chatter at low speeds. You get what you pay for, but for most people the chatter from the KAAZ is no big deal.

That being said...many LSD's are installed incorrectly (like wreckless said) and this can make for other noises and/or louder chatter.

alright thanks for the input i was just wondering if it would hurt it to not use kaaz fluid i am going to change it often now that i know what is in it. i t got put on hold cuz i just had the oil cooler lines take a dump on me so hopefully ill be getting that taken care of tmw. im just glad the lines didnt go when i was beating on it. mobil 1 is kinda expensive even when you get it at cost

Quote Originally Posted by suprajztwenty View Post
    sorry, i know its off topic but i think the OP got his answer.
    my stock lsd only locks up doing a burnout or at a higher speed like in 2nd gear. im not trying to drift or anything, but i do have junk rear tires that im trying to wear out before i get new ones...just trying to have some donut fun, but once it starts to slide the diff opens and i get nowhere.

a bud of mine had subaru lsd oil left over from his project so i tried it cause its real thick. seemed to help a little, but the diff isnt that "limited" as much as i think it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by jamis View Post
    Yeah, your clutches are worn. I ran mine without friction modifier and it picked up a little slop but your best bet is to shim the clutch pack up tighter. But it will wear out again; the stock clutches don't last too long when running larger stickier tires and more than stock power.
    I have yet to see a set of stock clutches that are worn significantly. There's very little preload on the clutches from the factory, so they just don't see any abuse. I just rebuilt my diff with parts from weirperformance.com. I did their stage 1 maxgrip kit and a solid pinion spacer along with new seals. I lost all the slop I used to have in the pinion (clunk when you get on/off the throttle) and the differential is fantastic now. I was having serious traction issues in 2nd gear, even on concrete. Now I only spin 2nd on asphalt and both tires are sharing the workload.

Just a heads-up: Shimming the clutches tighter doesn't do much of anything without adding a stiffer spring to increase preload. It would take an act of God to wear out the factory clutches with how little pressure is applied to them.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.

C. S. Lewis

thanks zach, i had stiffer springs in mind, ive just never searched the topic before...especially since i have about 5-6 other things to take care of before having much slide fun or the actual NEED for traction.

+ Reply to Thread