How to change and bleed your coolant

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to change and bleed your coolant

SF Contributing Member 87supramario's Avatar

How to change and bleed your coolant

Im changing my water pump tomorrow. Wanted to check out on how to properally burp or bleed the coolant lines for these cars. Searched this forum, couldnt find a guide on here so I thought I would share this one. Also shows you how to check/replace thermostat. Lots of photos.

http://mkiiisupra.net/bbs/showthread...=guide+coolant

Water pump components: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=CO&P=3

key words: Coolant replacement, bleed coolant, burp coolant, Change coolant, how to clean radiator, how to clean rad, how to drain rad, how to flush rad, how to flush radiator, flush coolant, thermostat, stat, how to replace thermostat, how to test thermostat, how to check thermostat, how to test thermostat at home, bubbling noise, bubble sound behind firewall, bubble sound, bubble sound while running, engine block coolant drain plug location, block coolant drain location, coolant drain plug locations, heater matrix, coolant drain plug photo, coolant drain plug pic, how to change coolant, how to bleed coolant, water pump components, water pump, how to replace water pump, water pump parts
    Last edited by 87supramario; 03-28-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Resurrection complete. Stealth power coming soon. Build thread-> http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=614654[/CENTER]

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Burping is out. Go buy a Prestone "Flush Kit" and mount the tee at the highest heater hose up on your firewall. Remove your radiator cap, connect a hose to the new tee, turn your heater on wide open, run the car and start filling through the tee slowly. Air will burp out of the radiator, then when water/coolant flows continually, put the cap on, finish filling until the tee overflows, turn off the car and hose. Place the cap on the tee and you're good to go. This will eliminate all air in your system. You just leave the tee inline with the cap on it.

Last edited by Rajunz; 03-29-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajunz View Post
    Burping is out. Go buy a Prestone "Flush Kit" and mount the tee at the highest heater hose up on your firewall. Remove your radiator cap, connect a hose to the new tee, turn your heater on wide open, run the car and start filling through the tee slowly. Air will burp out of the radiator, then when water/coolant flows continually, put the cap on, finish filling until the tee overflows, turn off the car and hose. Place the cap on the tee and you're good to go. This will eliminate all air in your system. You just leave the tee inline with the cap on it.
    That won't work with mine. They make one with A&N fittings? LOL
    MA70 7M, MoTeC, Tilton, 1036 RWHP 950 RWTQ
    Busa in progress of being modded too

Go make your own........

Quote Originally Posted by rajunz View Post
    go make your own........
    lol!

SupraForums Member
    I bought a kit off of a snap-on truck a few years back, quite nice considering it was $30. it contains all the different cap styles and adaptors along with a resevoir funnel that secures into the caps. Cold start the engine and only run it until the thermo opens and it burps itself for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by 87Turbo View Post
    I bought a kit off of a snap-on truck a few years back, quite nice considering it was $30. it contains all the different cap styles and adaptors along with a resevoir funnel that secures into the caps. Cold start the engine and only run it until the thermo opens and it burps itself for the most part.
    The problem with using that is the heater hose in the back is higher than the radiator cap on a MKIII.

backpsi is my batsignal!!
    to much work

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_cse.asp

finds air leaks as you are pulling vacuum and then fills with no trap air. Done. No need for engine to be running.
    official translator for Canuck-istan...
    Cocaine is one hell of a drug...

Quote Originally Posted by figgie View Post
    to much work

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_cse.asp

finds air leaks as you are pulling vacuum and then fills with no trap air. Done. No need for engine to be running.
    This type of system works awsome. We have one at work and it just works so well. except ours works off an air line, i see that has a pump.
    87 5spd turbo

SupraForums Member
    The problem with using that is the heater hose in the back is higher than the radiator cap on a MKIII.
    Ahhh but thats why you jack up the front of the car

Quote Originally Posted by 87Turbo View Post
    Ahhh but thats why you jack up the front of the car
    With a damn crane to make it work correctly.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerously:
    I see Acrux as a man who weeds out ho's from real women. Hes exposing the hidden slut in the chicks that really are those ho's..

my 89 came with that when I bought it, damn cap was shit, and was constantly leaking out of it, so I just replaced it with a proper hose..
    1986.5 Targa 5-speed Sportspackage - '91 7MGE
    1989 Targa 5-Speed White package - NA-GTE, BPU'd
    1992 Hardtop 5-Speed - 2JZ-GE
    2005 Scion xB - JDM-ish...

You know the cooling system if functioning properly, will burp all the air out by itself right?
    7M-Clevite bearings, Eagle Rods, Carillo Pistons, Treadstone TR1235 Intercooler, Tial F46, HKS SSQV, Mishimoto Radiator & Clutch Fan, Apexi Neo, Beech Performance stuff & adding more...

yup, reefed it
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    You know the cooling system if functioning properly, will burp all the air out by itself right?
    At least any that's trapped after letting it warm up with the cap off to the point that the thermostat opens. I wouldn't want to drive it that first time with so much air in there, not burping the thermostat first though. Gotta keep an eye on your expansion tank level when doing it that way though.
    Last edited by ninjadude206; 03-30-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoE View Post
    my 89 came with that when I bought it, damn cap was shit, and was constantly leaking out of it, so I just replaced it with a proper hose..
    You probably didn't have a rubber gasket in the cap, they don't leak.

Quote Originally Posted by rajunz View Post
    go make your own........
    hahahaha!
    92' All Options Shadow Grey
    |AEM V.2|PT6262|Caged|Sumped Fuel System|Meth Injected|1JZ|

My buddy has that one when you fill it up over half way it becomes the high point has a plug for the excess...worked fine for me.

+ Reply to Thread