Best Oil for 2JZ-GTE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Best Oil for 2JZ-GTE

Best Oil for 2JZ-GTE

I'm about to change the oil on my supra, and I was wondering what oil you guys use? Or what you guys think is the best. Also what oil filters do you guys use or reccomend? My supra engine is all OEM so far. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, SC FAMILY

Time for change
    After this comment I encourage people not to post.

OP, please search there are about 30 posts on this subject.

SupraForums Member
    I dont blame him for posting this...

I went through the same dillema when I bought mine at first.

Yes there is ALOT of information out there on this, but alot of it is unclear. People are running alot of different weights and brands depending on mods. Some are using heavy oils, or Rotella.

to the OP, id suggest a high end synthetic such as amsoil in 10w-30. In stock form, and normal climate conditions theres no need to run anything but what toyota reccomends ( which should be right on a sticker next to your oil cap )
    1993.5 Ren Red TT 6spd targa
    PTE6766 on RPS manifold , AEM V1, Tuned by Alex @ GSD

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim1137 View Post

Yes there is ALOT of information out there on this, but alot of it is unclear. People are running alot of different weights and brands depending on mods. Some are using heavy oils, or Rotella.

to the OP, id suggest a high end synthetic such as amsoil in 10w-30. In stock form, and normal climate conditions theres no need to run anything but what toyota reccomends ( which should be right on a sticker next to your oil cap )
    mobile one extended performance from wal-mart. i think thats good enough, your not taking the car to the race track every day, so you don't need to spend $100 dollars on oil. for filter i just use the supreme fram filter and thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by choua01 View Post
    mobile one extended performance from wal-mart. i think thats good enough, your not taking the car to the race track every day, so you don't need to spend $100 dollars on oil.

both of you should do as much searching as the OP. times have changed DRASTICALLY since toyota recommended using a standard oil in the car and at that weight.

the difference between using a thicker oil and thinner oil depends on the climate your car is driven is most as well as oil clearances with the bearings. theres a lot more to it than "i think thats good enough" that you should both (and op) read up on that is discussed in multiple threads.

what is the right oil for one car, could be the wrong oil for the same car in a different location that is used completely different.

also, choua01, just because you think spending 35 bucks on oil (5 quarts of 7 dollar quarts) is not great, no idea where you got 100 from. but whatever... you can think about the fact that using a good synthetic, like amsoil, german castrol, or any of the others mentioned that have been discussed about, will save you lots of money in the long run through doing less oil changes and buying less regular oil. not to mention a synthetic will not break down like a regular oil, which is far better for a car that doesnt see very many miles either. its worse for the car to drive it seldom, than to drive it often.

if you want a standard answer. then go ahead and use the oil that toyota recommends, but remember, that recommendation came from a standard that is no longer the same. and there are better choices you can educate yourself about.

Alright cool cool, thanks for suggestions. So I'll just go find a nice 10-30 and a fram. Thanks, SC FAMILY

Time for change

Making another thread, makes it more clear every time...

SupraForums Member
    i've done plenty of search in here on oil and it's confusing,... you have people suggesting go to wal-mart and you have people recommending royal purple, amsoil.. and on. your right about time has change since the recommended oil was given to this cars.

SupraForums Member
    I personally use Royal Purple 5W-30 or 10w-30 and Purator Pure One Oil Filters I pay about $60 per oil change but to me its worth it.

Good luck and you will be safe like everyone posted above with a good quality Synthetic Oil as far as Brand its up to you.

Alright I just got back from kragens. I decided on royal purp 10-30 and some random k&n filter

Personal Choice: Royal Purple
    Good Choices: Mobil 1, Amsoil, Valvoline synthetic just to name a few.

Your cheapest and easiest bet will probably be Mobil1 at Walmart.
    Your more expensive and semi-difficult to find choice is Royal Purple (standard 5w30 and 10w30) at most auto stores.
    Your most expensive and hardest to get choices are Royal Purple (racing), and Amsoil typically; at least around here.
    "That the automobile has practically reached the limit of its development is suggested by the fact that during the past year no improvements of a radical nature have been introduced."
    (Scientific American January 2, 1909).

SupraForums Member
    Unless you plan on tracking your car i.e. generating a lot of high heat for prolonged periods of time I don't see any reason to go with royal purple or amsoil unless you like throwing money down the drain.

NA cars = Mobil 1
    Turbo cars = Mobil 1 synthetic

@ wal-mart

xxxx-xxxd3 oil filter @ the dealership.
    Last edited by Ryeno; 04-13-2011 at 12:48 AM.

SupraForums Member
    From My expierence Mobile 1=CRAP! Even their 10w40 is super thin when at operating temp. Keep in mind it gets HOT in Texas! I have used Rotella T6 5w40 with much success! It's also one of the cheapest synthetics at about $20 per gal at wallmart!

I plan on running 10w30 amsoil and toyota filter. I haven't heard anything bad about amsoil or the toyota filter.

Quote Originally Posted by grandporschegt View Post
    clearly your teacher has never run 35 psi on 2.75 a gallon gas.

SupraForums Member xnofear6988x's Avatar
    I couldnt see oil being a big issue especially on an oem car. Mobile one is good enough and all anyone should ever need unless maybe you're really into high performance racing. Im at bpu and mobile one is all i ever use along with a decent filter (don't use fram).

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poboy69 View Post
    From My expierence Mobile 1=CRAP! Even their 10w40 is super thin when at operating temp. Keep in mind it gets HOT in Texas! I have used Rotella T6 5w40 with much success! It's also one of the cheapest synthetics at about $20 per gal at wallmart!
    you want to use the thinnest oil possible.

The "Tactileneck"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryeno View Post
    you want to use the thinnest oil possible.

But, to add something usefull to this thread, here you go OP: There are people on here that swear by Mobil 1, there are people on here that swear by Valvoline Race, there are people on there that swear by Rotella 15-40, Amsoil, Brad Penn, Royal Purple, and on and on and on.

Personally, I prefer Royal Purple. It has great ratings as far as flash points, additives, and such go, and if you go to the Toyota dealership there's Toyota oil, and then Royal Purple sitting right next to it.
    Last edited by Adr3naline; 04-12-2011 at 08:01 PM.

SupraForums Member
    i use syneco 20w50.its 120 dollars.but im going back to their 10w30 because i dont race my car anymore and i like doing more frequent oil changes

SupraForums Member
    I would definitely not use a fram filter. OEM filter end of story!!
    1995 6spd 6766 tuned & built by DoubleDTuning *SOLD*
    1993.5 TT 6spd WB Hard Top *SOLD*
    The Moment of Greatness Is Not the Action.
    It's the Decision That Allows the Action to Occur.

SupraForums Member
    $120 for an oil change??? Jesus does that include the hooker??

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adr3naline View Post
    snip
    Explain yourself? The thinner the oil the more viscous it is, the easier it can flow and easier it can get into all the little nooks and crannies. So you want to use the thinnest oil that keeps your oil pressure in spec.

BLACKOUT
    I personally use amsoil with either purolater or toyota filter .....

The "Tactileneck"
    Explain yourself?
    Sure. You're pretty much 100% wrong. The "thicker" an oil is the better it will handle high stress loads and heat. Also, your first post, and then this post:

So you want to use the thinnest oil that keeps your oil pressure in spec.
    Are two completely different things to say, even though ^^^^^ this is like I said pretty much entirely incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Adr3naline View Post
    Sure. You're pretty much 100% wrong. The "thicker" an oil is the better it will handle high stress loads and heat. Also, your first post, and then this post:

Are two completely different things to say, even though ^^^^^ this is like I said pretty much entirely incorrect.
    actually you are both wrong lol. there is a reason you dont just throw 20w-50 in a track car and call it a day.

its been explained more than couple times.

and ryeno, i would love to hear your take on oils too

make sure to draw some diagrams or take pictures while your at it, they help make the whole experience more enjoyable

SupraForums Member
    love the oil debates....

AMSOIL 10/30 and J series toyota filter for my big single

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast