Real-world wait times for NFA items...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Real-world wait times for NFA items...

Real-world wait times for NFA items...

Alright guys - I've heard a myriad of responses from all kinds of people, and I'm tired of the shit.

FYI:

"You'll see it in 4 months."
    "Oh yeah, how do you know?"
    "I had a friend that ordered his..."
    "So?"
    "So, he got his in 4 months..."
    "What, exactly, did your friend order, and what state does he reside? Any clue as to his situation (Family Trust vs. fingerprinting/Sheriff)?"
    "He got a machine gun. He's in Oregon."
    "Thanks - you've been really helpful, as the only correlation that seems to be present, is the fact that your friend applied for an NFA item, in another state, for something that I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about. *Machine Gun*, lol..."

This is what I'm talking about ^... I'd like some real-world answers. I've used the NFA "When will my stamp go through" chart, but it's varied wildly, as much as the answers that I've gotten.

Facts, for your consideration:

I haven't called yet - it's been only a short while.

Short while = I bought the Suppressor and paid the stamp at the gun shop at the same time.

I was fingerprinted and had my local Sr. LEO sign off, and returned all of my paperwork to the gun shop to be mailed off (this is what they wanted - I thought that I could do it myself?) on last Thursday (5-28-11).

I've never been denied a firearms purchase, etc. (someone said that supposedly, if you've been popped and denied a purchase, it'll take longer. I've never heard of this.)

So, what do you Class III people think? I had planned on this thing taking around 3 months. With TN being my residence, and the gun shop that I do business with really knowing their Class III stuff (no bungling of paperwork, etc, which is why I go there, for the no-nonsense attitude and quality of customer assistance), I was hoping to be in the ballpark of 3 months from the time of paperwork filing. Too hopeful?
    | 1997 Toyota Supra Turbo | Built Head/Block | Billet 6265 | Custom Targa Brace |
    | 1977 Toyota Celica GT Liftback | Aluminum Riveted Interior | BEAMS 3S-GE |

| BoostLogic | BRIDE | TRD | COMP | Work | TRUST | HKS | RPS | ID | KW |

Alpha Tuned - 610WHP ProEFI

CARMA PERFORMANCE - ERIN CARPENTER - NASHVILLE, TN
    Do not have this joker tune or perform work on your car. Period.

It's been a GREAT 13 years here on Supraforums.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

2-3 months seems to be the norm right now if everything is in order. Most of the paperwork at the shop is dating back to March and April. It will also depend on who your examiner is. There are only 10 or 11 that do all the approvals. I think Sandra Snook is probably the slowest. My examiner is Dana Pickles and he is pretty quick. So is Santamaria

I just picked up my Ops Inc M4S the other week and it took exactly 60 days. I sent in the paperwork on 3/18 and it was approved 5/13 and then a couple of days out to me from the WV ATF office.

This time last year, it was 4-5 months.

daredevil racecar builder Dachande's Avatar
    My friend recently got his AAC 762 can approved. It took him 120 days start to finish, but that day count started with the day he bought it and includes going to get the sheriff to sign off on it. My check was cashed in late March and I'm still waiting. Getting a trust is the way to go to save time and make the process more simple.

Thanks guys - that's what I figured. I'm eagerly awaiting my AAC can, and hope to be able to fuck around with it sooner than later.

SupraForums Member
    Three months is an optimistic figure. I still have stuff submitted in January that has not been approved. Usually it is around 3 but anywhere from 3-6 is not surprising.
    ^ my guy in FL that specializes in Class III.

Which AAC can did you get??? The same guy who quoted me on this has an AAC shirt waiting for me. I guess when you buy 6 cans you get a shirt for free... and a sweet beer koozie. I stocked up on AAC mostly for investment purposes, but I think I'll end up keeping a Ti-Rant 9 or an M4-2000 for personal use... can't put off my AR15 build forever... too many race cars and not enough guns, how's that going to help me when zombies come.
    TopSpeed Motorsports Twin Turbo R8 V10

Moody, you going to be at the AAC Silencer Shoot this weekend?

My SBR conversion on a PS90 was 62 days. This was with a Trust as the CLEO refused to sign my form. I just sent the barrel off to be cut, threaded and engraved today. My last suppressor was 64 days which was a little over a month ago.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    1993 Hardtop 6-speed | 3.4L | GTX4508R w/ TiAL Housing | RMR Intake Manifold | VWR V-Band Manifold
    T6 FMIC | MoTeC M800 | ID2000's | E85 | Tilton triple carbon | StopTech Trophy Series BBK | HRE C93's

1418 RWHP Dyno Video - 3.4L Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by G View Post
    Moody, you going to be at the AAC Silencer Shoot this weekend?
    Christ - I wish. I got really excited about it when I heard about it, as it's a 2.5 hour drive for me. Upon planning, as usual, other things got in the way, so I'll just be relegated to looking up pics on the gun forums, now. Sucks, too. I've heard that it's just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jhepburn View Post
    My SBR conversion on a PS90 was 62 days. This was with a Trust as the CLEO refused to sign my form. I just sent the barrel off to be cut, threaded and engraved today. My last suppressor was 64 days which was a little over a month ago.
    They can legally do that? As I've understood it, a Sr. LEO basically has to, unless given reason to believe that there is a problem with your background/person/etc. Here, they don't even talk to you - you just drop it off and pick it up later (as I've understood it, this varies wildly, from having to meet the applicant, to simply just turning it in).

Quote Originally Posted by Moody View Post
    They can legally do that? As I've understood it, a Sr. LEO basically has to, unless given reason to believe that there is a problem with your background/person/etc. Here, they don't even talk to you - you just drop it off and pick it up later (as I've understood it, this varies wildly, from having to meet the applicant, to simply just turning it in).
    Legally no, technically yes. He has refused to sign any Form 1/4's in "his jurisdiction". Sure, I could take the case to Court and fight him. Or, I can setup a Trust and bypass him and all of his BS politics for the rest of my life. The Trust was way easier.

Build in Progress
    Moody-Which class 3 dealer do you use in Tn? I know On Target is a class 3. I am thinking about getting an aac can in a month or so after I get my usp tactical.
    95 Supra TT (Bpu)
    07 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited--Daily Driver
    05 Buell Lightning XB9SX--Just for the Corners

I was over on silencerforum and they were talking about times varying widely. It's basically down to your examiner. Who you get is based on alphabetic classification. So if you name your trust "the wrong" thing, you might get stuck with a slow moving examiner. Also, when you send a check and see that they've deposited it, it's just an indication that your paperwork has been received and has gone into "pending". I saw that they only have 14 people in that department and 1 or 2 of them are designated to handle incoming inquiries. Some guys have gotten approved in 6 weeks.

Kaw, does your guy usually have fast turn around times or do they vary?

95BlackTT - sorry for the delay in response. I use Outpost Armory for everything. I'm not really fond of On Target, so I tend to take my business elsewhere. Outpost is THE place to go, to get what you want, and good information to facilitate a decision.

Update: No transfer, yet. Still waiting.

I bought a AAC m4 2000 on may 14th, the ATF cashed the check on May 20th it got approved on September 28th and the stamp was at the shop on September 30th. I live in Georgia and used a trust. This one took about a month longer than my last suppresor

Thanks for the information, Josh. I am still waiting on mine. Luckily, one of the employees at the shop knows who I am, and what I ordered (friend of a friend), so I don't have to wait for someone to rifle through miscellaneous paperwork, trying to figure out who I am, what I ordered, and what they did with it. Still no answer, though, and I'm hoping that it's not going to be some 6-month horror-story... We're already at 5, now. ;

Looks like it will be getting slower and slower. 3 new states are approved for suppressors and the gov has a hiring freeze. It looks like 4-5 month waits are going to be the norm now.

^ Yeah, that's what I was afraid of... Oh well, at least mine's been in for a little while. The next one will be a real wait, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by G View Post
    Looks like it will be getting slower and slower. 3 new states are approved for suppressors and the gov has a hiring freeze. It looks like 4-5 month waits are going to be the norm now.
    What are the 3 new states?
    1992 SC300 Black - S -
    1995 Supra TT White- 5 spd - S -
    1993.5 Supra TT Black- 6 spd - S -
    1992 SC300 Silver Spruce - 5 spd - S -
    RIP Robert Gore- RIP Amos Nelson WIA BJ Jackson- 186 MP Company
    \Iraq 03-04/
    \Iraq 07-08/
    Everyone exists...some people live

Michigan, Washington (you can use) and Missouri (C&R no longer needed)

I just received my tax stamp on the latest NFA item. Took exactly 120 days from the time the check was cashed until the approved form was dropped in the mail. I think 4-5 month wait times are going to be the norm nowadays.

Done with Brooklyn and finally in Tampa FL:)
    Update from FL, I am on week 3 of my wait for my first NFA item. The wait is killing me!
    1) 1998 Toyota Supra hardtop NA to TT to Single turbo - sold:(
    2) 2014 CLS63 AMG-S - new hotness
    3) 2011 Cadillac Escalade
    4) 2012 Infiniti G37 coupe

All blk/blk

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan King View Post
    When not fucking bitches and getting money, SFOT saves cats.

Any recommendations for filing in the bay area? Did you do yours thru a trust on your own, or lawyer or what?

Man I really wish Iowa would approve suppressors. Fuck

Al-fucking-RIGHT! It's here. I go to pick it up tomorrow. Pictures coming.

+ Reply to Thread