Safe running temp (water-temp) for JDM 2JZGTE?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Safe running temp (water-temp) for JDM 2JZGTE?

Safe running temp (water-temp) for JDM 2JZGTE?

I am driving a buddies car this weekend, and he told me to keep an eye on the temp, we have an aftermarket water temp guage from Apexi in the car. What is the safe range for water temp? And at what point should I pull over?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Time for change
    Wait. Are you anticipating it overheating? It takes an awefully long time for water to cool with an iron block and turbos...

I wouldn't go over 215 degrees.

SF Contributing Member Northstar's Avatar
    I understand if you road race but if you have to keep an eye on the water temp for some normal driving and some pulls here and there than something else is wrong lol....
    Ryan
    '94 Single 6 Speed
    '03 Acura CL Type-S 6 Speed
    Instagram

YouTube Channel

My RR Supra Build| HRE | Ridox |& More...

Quote Originally Posted by HellBringer View Post
    Not driving and/or modding a Supra is like not banging your hot, horny girlfriend/wife in hopes she'll be more appealing to her next boyfriend/husband.

SupraForums Member
    I am checking in for the same info..... I see 195-205 when driving around in 85 degree weather. Once the temp go over 205 I don't do any hard driving. My haltech will start to flash red on the temp gauge above 217 but I know on other cars (GM, Fords) they have the cooling fans come on at 225 to 230. What temps do you guys read when crusing?
    92 240sx
    2jz swap 7175 turbo gsc stage 2 cams
    Haltech PS2000 ECU

Well, the car is a fairly fresh build, so we havent had alot of experience with it yet, but worry about it getting warm. Its a E36 M3 with a 2JZ-GTE, not a Supra. So there isnt as much room in the engine bay. Thats why it gets hot.

We have an Aftermarket Aluminum Radiator and Electric fans. I just want to know what is a safe running temp. My Nissan runs around 170 degrees *F, and I know that these 2JZ's run a bit warmer than that.
    Last edited by Zenkis14; 06-02-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Time for change
    I would try and keep it under 190 optimally.

SupraForums Member
    stock thermostat is 180F so that's the lowest you could get.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...rature-at-idle

here is another I swapped into a not toyota platform and am getting heating issue thread.

SF Contributing Member Northstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenkis14 View Post
    Well, the car is a fairly fresh build, so we havent had alot of experience with it yet, but worry about it getting warm. Its a E36 M3 with a 2JZ-GTE, not a Supra. So there isnt as much room in the engine bay. Thats why it gets hot.

We have an Aftermarket Aluminum Radiator and Electric fans. I just want to know what is a safe running temp. My Nissan runs around 170 degrees *F, and I know that these 2JZ's run a bit warmer than that.
    Ahh ok make more sense then.

So I drove it today a bit, and it sits around 205*F (95*C) once it settles down and everything, you guys think that will be ok/safe?

205 should be fine. I know it's not apples to apples, but both of my previous Z06's were happily in the 220-230 range driving around town and 200ish when cruising on the highway or doing pulls on an open road. My 3000GT/Stealths were fine in 200 range, but were a little happier in the 185-190 range.

FWIW, I don't have an aftermarket temp gauge in my Supra, but I've observed no difference in trap speeds between being relatively cool and sitting in the staging lanes in the summer heat idling for 30 minutes.

1993.5 Supra TT Wingless Hardtop 6sp -- 74mm, S1 cams -- 10.4 @ 138MPH [previously 468WHP & 11.3 @ 125MPH stock twins]
    1994 RX-7 -- Streetport, 71GTS, Haltech, etc.. #'s TBD

1999 3000GT VR-4 -- 12.5 @ 108MPH 100% stock w/ Flash tune
    2003 350Z Touring 6sp -- Daily Beater -- 13.9 @ 102MPH stock
    2003 Denali XL -- Grocery Getter & Tow Rig -- 13's (mpg)

Formerly:
    1997 Supra TT Auto BPU -- 12.0 @ 122MPH
    1994 Supra 6sp - old school 72mm, stock longblock -- 722WHP & 10.36 @ 139.5MPH
    1993.5 Supra TT Auto BPU

One really hot days idling in traffic with a/c on, if the temp stabilizes at just under 100 degrees Celsius that's ok. If it continues to go up, you should start looking into things. Some guys run slightly higher, up to 103 degrees Celsius when it stabilizes, and their cars run fine, no overheating whatsoever but that's like 40 degrees Celsius or higher ambient temps.

And another thing, make sure the power supply of your Apexi gauge was done right. If it was wired poorly, the gauge becomes highly innacurate as the temps get higher. Before we fixed the wiring on my DEFI gauges, by the time my AEM ECU reads 85 degrees Celsius, my DEFI was showing 95-98 degrees Celsius and the temp reading on the gauge would fluctuate a whole lot! As much as 5 degrees difference as the needle would swing and play around a lot.
    Last edited by botchilah; 06-03-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    1995 USDM Supra, AEM S2, assorted HKS goodies, AP BBK, custom widebodykit and FINALLY going single (with a bnew block)
    2009 Yaris 5-door TRD boy racer / DD

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by botchilah View Post
    One really hot days idling in traffic with a/c on, if the temp stabilizes at just under 212 degrees F that's ok. If it continues to go up, you should start looking into things. Some guys run slightly higher, up to 217.4 degrees F when it stabilizes, and their cars run fine, no overheating whatsoever but that's like 104 degrees F or higher ambient temps.

And another thing, make sure the power supply of your Apexi gauge was done right. If it was wired poorly, the gauge becomes highly innacurate as the temps get higher. Before we fixed the wiring on my DEFI gauges, by the time my AEM ECU reads 185 degrees F, my DEFI was showing 203-208.4 degrees F and the temp reading on the gauge would fluctuate a whole lot! As much as 41 degrees difference as the needle would swing and play around a lot.
    Translated..... LOL

SupraForums Member
    rb,
    Like you just did here, a not uncommon error is converting degrees temperature DIFFERENCE from C to F as if was the actual specific temperature.

botch said "5 degrees difference..." meaning 5C difference which you converted to 41 degrees difference (meaning 41F)

But to be correct it should actually be 9 degrees F difference:

SupraForums Member
    if your running a stock temp guage move the needle a little hotter so if you do start to overheat you have plenty of time to react. this is what i did
    billet balls

SupraForums Member FLINTSTONESKID's Avatar
    ^^^w h a t !!!

SupraForums Member
    that sounds sort of like "I had high oil temps so I unplugged my oil temp gauge" ...?

Lol when i said 5 degrees difference, i meant that the needle on my Defi gauge would fluctuate between say 93-98 degrees Celsius randomly

SupraForums Member FLINTSTONESKID's Avatar
    nick, what the hell is with kids nowadays????

Do you have an oil cooler installed? That might help a little. Are you running the stock M3 facia? Those can be a little restrictive. Also what about the bottom cover plate (plastic thingy). Keeping that on an M3 is important for airflow.

Jeff

99 M3
    95 Supra

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blown1 View Post
    if your running a stock temp guage move the needle a little hotter so if you do start to overheat you have plenty of time to react. this is what i did

ProEFI

'06 IS350

Just drove around today and after getting stuck in traffic a bit my water temp was at 80 Celsius
    It was around 25-27 Celsius in the sun today

I highly doubt my temps would go much over that unless boosting like a madman
    My engine bay gets so hot you can't touch ANYTHING for bout 10-15 min after driving for a while
    -adam ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

701whp/517wtq pump/meth, revs to the freaking moon son (tuned by bill)
    rps header, hks t51r kai, rps triple carbon, open dump, 4" exhaust, aem v2, gsc s2 cams, ported head, dualsprings, titanium retainers, shimless buckets, +1mm valves, 8500 rpm rev limit.
    sample vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHeSk4StvpM

SupraForums Member Philip martin's Avatar
    Since, as someone stated the thermostat, is 180 degrees.With my temp gauge sensor on the engine return hose, I see 200 degrees.When it 90+ degrees outside, like yesterday, It can go up to 220 while sitting in traffic.While tracking the car at Vir, 220 was as high as it got.If you are willing to put a fan on the backside of the frontmount to blow into the radiator, it should help keep her cool.Its all about airflow.

Philip 94TT

You guys also have to note that most aftermarket gauges read slightly higher than actual as a sort of built-in safety factor that gives you some time / leeway when things start getting interesting.

SupraForums Member
    Are you serious? Why would an aftermarket gauge read hotter than it actually is? I've never heard that.

I have a freshly swapped 2jzgte in my 95 240sx and am starting my battle against high temps. Yesterday when driving, the car settled at about 195 degrees at idle most of the time and went down while moving and even under boost as long as I had good airflow through the bumper. I got pretty worried when it hit about 220 but it never overheated and I consulted the supra shop that works on my car and he said not to worry too much about those temps. It only got hot when not in motion. The reason my car runs a little hotter is because of the lack of engine bay space between the electric fans and the front of the engine. Its crammed in tight. I am going to consider a vented hood even though I don't like the way they look on 240s.

SupraForums Member
    are there any ill effects of running 2 bottles of water wetter?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text