Should I heat wrap my downpipe?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should I heat wrap my downpipe?

Should I heat wrap my downpipe?

Just got my divorced down pipe couple days ago. Was wondering if I should heat wrap it. I just bought the heat wrap, but its pretty expensive themotech wrap with spray $75. I want some opinions and your inputs on this. Is it beneficial or is it overkill? Cars pretty much bone stock.
    1987 SUPRA 7MGTE HKS TURBO EXHAUST, BIC RECIRCULATED DDP, APEXI AIR INTAKE. ----->Sick of this ride <------
    1973 DATSUN 240Z (49% complete) 1JZ in progress

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SF Contributing Member 87supramario's Avatar
    Not unless your planning on wrapping it for the track then taking it off after. Or you dont drive in rainny or humid conditions and you park it indoors, in a sealed & heated garage.

Recently I had to replace my aftermarket header because it was wrapped and because the wrap was collecting moisture then getting hot then collecting moisture over and over... It started to crackle. A hole was punctured and I tried to tac weld it shut but after hitting the shell of the weld off, the whole weld caved in lol.

Wrapping your exaust will distroy even brand name tubing years later. This same thing happend to a Honda buddy of mine with his $1000+ DC sports header only two years later.
    Last edited by 87supramario; 10-01-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Resurrection complete. Stealth power coming soon. Build thread-> http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=614654[/CENTER]

A Lowe's length in front RacerXJ220's Avatar
    I've never had a problem with wrap on my header, been over 2 years, daily driver.

I had my downpipe wrapped for 4 years and no issues....also wrapped my dumptube. There are alot cheaper options out there for wrap but I do like the paint for the wrap though.
    1994 Red/Black TT Auto
    86K miles
    Roller...

Mind you it wouldnt surprise me if the climate diffrence betwine Canada and south U.S. would make a diffrence in this case.

Paint? What do you do spray the pipe before wrap?
    Last edited by 87supramario; 10-01-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 87supramario View Post
    Mind you it wouldnt surprise me if the climate diffrence betwine Canada and south U.S. would make a diffrence in this case.

Paint? What do you do spray the pipe before wrap?
    After

So this way the wrap doesnt soak up the water... This sounds better. The wrap itself in my case tore appart like a dried out rag with ease. Previous owner probably never coated the wrap.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    I had my downpipe wrapped for 4 years and no issues....also wrapped my dumptube. There are alot cheaper options out there for wrap but I do like the paint for the wrap though.
    Is there a special paint you use? Got any pics?

Yeah the only reason I could think of wanting to wrap this downpipe up is because the downpipe sits close to the transmission and might produce more heat around that area :/. Yes or no? Can I go without it? or better just wrapping it now and not worry later?

Quote Originally Posted by DegreE_v.2.0 View Post
    Is there a special paint you use? Got any pics?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-12002/

Banned
    You can definitely go without it. It's not critical. Wrapping is just an option.

I'll be wrapping mine down to about 10 inches or so.

I painted my pipes with VHT ceramic before I wrapped them and it does a good job at preventing them from rusting. I would stick with only wrapping stainless pipes though. Mild steel will corrode very quickly.
    87' w/ 1JZGTE, W58, Holset HY35W ---- http://rightturnautomotive.angelfire.com/87supra.html

Quote Originally Posted by destrux View Post
    I painted my pipes with VHT ceramic before I wrapped them and it does a good job at preventing them from rusting. I would stick with only wrapping stainless pipes though. Mild steel will corrode very quickly.
    This downpipe already got some surface rust. I bought it from one of the guys at supramania. The deal was a steal. Came with all the options 2nd bung for wideband, flex section, rerouted wastegate. Only thing the previous didn't do was get a good coating on it to prevent rust.

my reccomendation would be this:

Blast or sand the rust off the downpipe
    paint with the paint I posted above
    wrap the pipe
    paint on top of the wrap with same paint

I would suggest ceramic coating over a heat wrap.

wrap the pipe
    Your talking about this :

This is the exact same kit I bought. Alright guess I am going to get started with sanding and paint this thing quick. I am trying to get this on today and take it for a spin. Thanks for the inputs.
    Last edited by s30gtte; 10-01-2011 at 03:50 PM.

not a poopra anymore! suprajztwenty's Avatar
    +1, this is the kit i have on my DP, i had more than plenty for mine and a buddies car. mine was 2nd and i had enough to do a 50% overlap from the top of the DP to the end of the mini highflow cat. nothing difference to note but i sure dont have any issues with rust here in tx.

i only did mine because it was going to go to waste anyways. i had left over spray even after painting the wrap, so i did the underside of my turbo shield and it seemed to make a difference on the intake charge hose.

The stainless zip ties are a pain in the ass to install, not to mention costly. I use stainless worm clamps from Lowes.

Safety wire!!!!! At least 0.080" diameter
    Dont forget the pliers

91 White Package Targa Turbo

wrap the pipe
    So I took your advice and did all of the above. It turned out well, but I used 2 cans of that thing. The paint was very thin compared to your block paint that supports 2000F which has more can in the can. It barely covered the downpipe and the clamps were too small. I had to get some clamps from a local shop because the ones that came with the kit only covered 2 1/4 tops. So I total up the wrap kit to be 100 dollars (the kit $75, clamps 10.00, extra can of hi coat spray 10 and misc bolts and 02 bung 5.00. That paint is extremely thin, so it took a quite a few coats to make it look good. Everything turned out great I painted it, wrapped it, sprayed again for the seal and boom I let it dry last night outside. Unfortunately because of the unpredicatable F**Kn weather, we had a little minor rain/sprinkle. I was at class before I realized that I better get home quick and get it out of there. I got home took it in and it wasn't too bad. Wasn't soaking wet, but just to make sure I used a blow dryer at it for about 15 mins. Gonna wait a few more hours just to let it settle before I do the install.

I dont understand why it took you two cans. I did my 5" downpipe,dumptube and exhaust housing, and redid my 5" when I sold it....a little goes a long way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by s30gtte View Post
    So I took your advice and did all of the above. It turned out well, but I used 2 cans of that thing. The paint was very thin compared to your block paint that supports 2000F which has more can in the can. It barely covered the downpipe and the clamps were too small. I had to get some clamps from a local shop because the ones that came with the kit only covered 2 1/4 tops. So I total up the wrap kit to be 100 dollars (the kit $75, clamps 10.00, extra can of hi coat spray 10 and misc bolts and 02 bung 5.00. That paint is extremely thin, so it took a quite a few coats to make it look good. Everything turned out great I painted it, wrapped it, sprayed again for the seal and boom I let it dry last night outside. Unfortunately because of the unpredicatable F**Kn weather, we had a little minor rain/sprinkle. I was at class before I realized that I better get home quick and get it out of there. I got home took it in and it wasn't too bad. Wasn't soaking wet, but just to make sure I used a blow dryer at it for about 15 mins. Gonna wait a few more hours just to let it settle before I do the install.
    pics?

I dont understand why it took you two cans. I did my 5" downpipe,dumptube and exhaust housing, and redid my 5" when I sold it....a little goes a long way.
    Maybe I am just trigger happy and use alot of paint :/. Either way it turned out good. I covered the downpipe and then I wrapped it, and sprayed over again with the wrap. It took about 1 1/2 cans.
    Last edited by s30gtte; 10-04-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Banned
    I like it.

Banned
    absolutely I would
    huge reduction in temps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast