Supra Forums banner

PHR 4" Complete Titanium Exhaust for Supra

33K views 118 replies 62 participants last post by  Biologist 
#1 ·
We have been testing the waters to see what demand could be on an item like this. We are close to pulling the trigger but the cost will be close to $2000 on a complete titanium cat back exhaust for the Supra. This will be fabricated in house using a muffler assembled and welded in house also out of titanium that is 5".

We are trying to get it around the $1800 mark but material cost will depend on that.

Please post all feedback on this and what interest you might have.

No pictures currently.

Thanks,
Joe

#48 ·
#49 ·
The good news about doing the 4" piping in Ti separately, is it's ease to mount to the Racing Ti exhaust due to the "slip on style" via the 2 tension springs. This should be a relatively easy, straight forward contruction I would think for those as myself interested minus the exhaust. Seems to be lots of interest thus far, pending cost.

Not to go off-topic but 4" piping mated to a Carbon Ti (Mk4 app, not the 75mm universal canister) is just so beautiful to hear on/off throttle, especially with cams. It just howls and gives off a real distinctive pleasure note.

#52 ·
i somewhat agree with kwiktoy, but also i would add that titanium, and especially a full titanium exhaust is a next level product. ive only been here a couple years but theres only 2 titanium exhausts i see. the veilside teardrop and the amuse one. and honestly i like them just because its titanium but the sound is so absolutely critical for me when it comes to exhausts. and from what i can tell in videos they dont sound as good as an HKS4" TI or a BL4" (overall) and that is a serious boner killer.

that whifblitz one if it truely is a copy of hks TI which means it sounds like it.. @(#%*&(@#* and at only 300-400$ more than an HKS TI and you get the next level titanium piping...... and based off the pics up there it looks pretty nice too.... that is a definite benchmark product to study.

no way in hell i would pay $2600 for an amuse. i wouldnt even pay $1300 for a used good condition one.

i would pay $1000-1100 whatever retail is on an HKS 4" TI though... any day. so i think you can make this thing sound like that (oh and i rate burns mufflers and most super straight through mega flowing mufflers along with HKS/boostlogic 4" they all have that nasty ragged 2jz exhaust note that sounds almost like a straight pipe but mellowed out a touch)
but what i am hinting at is that i would not hesitate to spend more for a better product that i 'need' (the definition of better can be different for anyone)
so i personally dont have a problem of paying $1100+cost of switching to titanium to get the HKS 4" TI sound.

keep it up joe. love to hear about supra developments.
remember you could always offer the titanium exhausts for other models of car aswell. so i wouldnt immediately throw out plans because of potential profit not being on point. those R35 GTR guys could eat that up. and if you can make one for the TT gallardos... oh yea they will want it.

#53 ·
The HKS Ti exhaust is no longer available for $1200.00 like it used to be. You'd have to go with either the Garage Whifbitz, Extreme Turbo System, or a used version of one of those exhausts to get full 4 inch.

Steve

#56 ·
Looks like ETS already has a full 4" titanium catback exhaust system (even the brackets are in titanium).

#58 ·
#66 ·
Maybe they could use one of their genuine HKS Ti muffler of the 2 systems they currently have for sale for testing with 4" Ti piping ? This way, we can get a true sound clip and all done in-house. It will also serve the purpose for precise fabbing & mating the PHR 4" Ti piping for us current Ti Muffler owners.

#67 · (Edited)
Not to throw this topic off by any means but I am in the process of building a custom 4" exhaust for my stock twins car.

It will have stainless steel piping. Only thing now is muffler. I was hoping to get a similar sounding setup like the HKS Ti but it seems hard to duplicate since there is nothing on the market really like it.
Can I get the CARBON Ti canister, cut both ends of it off... and make the inlet and outpipe 4"? which could get me close to the real Ti sound characteristics?

Carbon Ti muffler runs about $400.
There is also the burns muffler which goes just a bit over $300.

This is only 3" burns setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0W_S-PiVsc

#68 ·
^ Nowhere close to the HKS Ti sound compared to a Carbon Ti, even on 4" piping. Even the Carbon Ti you are seeking is a universal muffler @ 75MM inlet, with the MK4 specific app at 95mm piping and inlet matched (canister barrels are the same at 170mm circumference). Trust me, been down this road and actually have a BNIB HKS Carbon Ti MK4 app sitting here for this custom purpose if I don't go PHR 4" Ti piping. You'd have to hollow out the inlet (on the univeral even more) but I don't know if that affects the specific flow or sound related to the Carbon exhaust shell construction internally. I have personally seen & heard a 95mm version mated to 4" piping. beautiful note ! Burns is a just an all out race sound

#74 ·
^ Nowhere close to the HKS Ti sound compared to a Carbon Ti, even on 4" piping. Even the Carbon Ti you are seeking is a universal muffler @ 75MM inlet, with the MK4 specific app at 95mm piping and inlet matched (canister barrels are the same at 170mm circumference). Trust me, been down this road and actually have a BNIB HKS Carbon Ti MK4 app sitting here for this custom purpose if I don't go PHR 4" Ti piping. You'd have to hollow out the inlet (on the univeral even more) but I don't know if that affects the specific flow or sound related to the Carbon exhaust shell construction internally. I have personally seen & heard a 95mm version mated to 4" piping. beautiful note ! Burns is a just an all out race sound
Thanks for the reply, its helpful.

Well I will be going with 4" piping. Just undecided if I wanted to go with the burns muffler or HKS.

I am using the car mostly on the street so I think HKS muffler will be the better choice, and I'll try and make it work. The burns is a bit too crazy.

#76 ·
FYI, my brand new delivered HKS ti weighs 23.2 pounds for the canister and stainless piping.

Only downside I can see, there is a crimp at the vband clamp that creates a restriction down to 3.6 inches. Otherwise the tubing is 4" OD.

Adam
Adam,

Does that weight include the HKS hangars that attach to the car as well?

Steve

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.