Supra Forums banner

Used scotch bright to remove tint glue and scratched windows

12K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Silver Bullet 
#1 ·
Took the old tints off and the glue stayed on.. Someone had the bright idea of using scotch bright and wd40. Now I got the glue off but I scratched the window.. Luckily I only attempted one.. What can I do to fix this before I retina it? I was looking at glass polishing kits

Any local things I can pick up to get this polished out?

#2 ·
wut?

so you used a scotch brite pad or someone else did?

there are glass polishing kits, are you sure its the glass or did you just leave a small amount of residue with scratches on it? not too sure about a scotch brite pad scratching up glass.

if it is indeed scratched, polishing kit for a DA polisher runs about 40

#3 ·
One thing I learned about polishing slight scratches in glass, was to use toothpaste. When I was much younger, I worked in woodworking; scratches in glass were common and this was the trick to polish out the scratches. I would try it in a small area and see if it works for you!

#11 · (Edited)
Spray windex onto the glue and let it set for a like 5 minutes or so.
Come back with a blade from a carpet knife and scrub the glue off.
To get more grip with the blade since its kinda small, use a plier that has a locking mechanism.

You won't scratch the glass if you just glide the blade across the window. I tried it and it works every time.

#12 ·
ok guys my concern isnt the glue on the windows and the tints is already peeled off my concern is my oem glass that on the car and its scratched so i want to polish it up before i retint it, my buddy owns a detail/tint shop so well mess with the glue there but for now i need to get the scuff of the glass cause it s really bothering the shit outta me..

thanks again for all the input

#17 ·
try calling or stoping by some glass shops
I dont know where you live, i know one in Bk on 18ave and benson ave "SafeLight"
post pone you tinting untill you get it fixed
or just replace the glass 2732 Atlantic Ave Brooklyn, NY 11207
(718) 827-7021 these guys usualy have everything they come and change it for you too

#19 ·
Check out Griots Garage. They sell some pretty good glass polish that will most likely do the trick. Of course you'll want to use a random action orbital with a felt pad for best results. I'd give that a try and if you can't get it yourself give safelite or one of the other glass repair companies a call for some help. Best of luck!

#23 ·
Thanks guys really appreciate it, tinting the car now. My buddy days u won't see it once the tint is done. I told him what if I do and decide to polish out the window? He said hell redo the tiny for free. BTW You guys in the area that need any detailing tint or any other cosmetic interior work done go to Steve at Tintmax in bayside! Nicest guy and hell really take care of you! Tell him Emil with the supra sent you! Total win

#25 ·
Got the glue off, ended up using thinner and steel wool. The drivers window was the one that had damage it really annoying me because u can still see the scratches.. Gonna call safe light tomorrow since I just called them and they are closed today cause they didnt pick up. Anyone have a extra window lol? The other thing is that the windows are Von etched and I would like to keep the original..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.