Valve cover fittings for catch can

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Valve cover fittings for catch can

SupraForums Member

Valve cover fittings for catch can

So I was going to have some -10AN valve cover fittings welded onto my valve covers for my catch can, but then I saw another member just has his covers drilled and tapped, and some fittings just screwed in. Any reason this wouldnt work just as well? I dont want to spend $100 dollars to have someone weld fittings onto my VC when I can do this myself. heres the fittings im talking about.

-10AN to 1/2in. thread. Id tap my VC for 1/2in. thread where the stock pcv ports are, and screw these in?
    http://www.fullblownmotorsports.com/...apter-fittings
    1993.5 Ren Red TT 6spd targa
    PTE6766 on RPS manifold , AEM V1, Tuned by Alex @ GSD

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I always drill and tap, that way you can use a 90 degree fitting and keep the hoses close to the valve cover

SupraForums Member
    I think thats what im going to do, wellim going to use straight fittings, with a 90 degree AN bend. I want the "look" of the AN fittings

^if you do that they'll stick out farther than if you welded them, which may put the hoses very close to the turbo

SupraForums Member
    I see your point... Hmmm.... Maybe i will do the 90 degree fittings with a straight hose end

Now with JDM tyteness! foreverpsycotic's Avatar
    cvc, how do you keep the hose from rubbing on the serpentine belt? Beautiful setup BTW.

SupraForums Member
    What size fittings are you using? -10AN to 1/2in. NPT or -10AN to 3/4in. NPT???

Looks like they sell both not sure which fits best? Ill be doing like you did, drilling/tapping the two existing PCV holes. I dont want to get the 1/2 inch if its too small, but idk if 3/4 is too big! lol

take the most extreme care youve ever taken in your life against metal shavings

if you drill and tap there is a good chance youll have to drill the rivets out on the internal baffles on the VC's and clean out the inside. then you reinstall the baffles and drill and tap new holes there for new screws instead of the rivets and use insane strong loctite, and use FIPG. theres a few threads on it, check them out.

its a likely procedure for going with drilling and tapping method.

i welded -8AN on mine and didnt have to remove the baffles. comes pretty close to the turbo with a 90 degree fitting on the weld bung. inch or so.
    -adam ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

701whp/517wtq pump/meth, revs to the freaking moon son (tuned by bill)
    rps header, hks t51r kai, rps triple carbon, open dump, 4" exhaust, aem v2, gsc s2 cams, ported head, dualsprings, titanium retainers, shimless buckets, +1mm valves, 8500 rpm rev limit.
    sample vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHeSk4StvpM

Quote Originally Posted by foreverpsycotic View Post
    cvc, how do you keep the hose from rubbing on the serpentine belt? Beautiful setup BTW.
    the lines are clamped to the radiator, they're actually not anywhere as close as the pic make it look

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1137 View Post
    What size fittings are you using? -10AN to 1/2in. NPT or -10AN to 3/4in. NPT???

Looks like they sell both not sure which fits best? Ill be doing like you did, drilling/tapping the two existing PCV holes. I dont want to get the 1/2 inch if its too small, but idk if 3/4 is too big! lol
    I use 1/2 NPT to 10AN on both sides. You can use 3/8 on the driver side if you want to do less drilling. 3/4 is huge

EDIT: I meant 3/8 on the passenger side

Quote Originally Posted by agm View Post
    take the most extreme care youve ever taken in your life against metal shavings

if you drill and tap there is a good chance youll have to drill the rivets out on the internal baffles on the VC's and clean out the inside. then you reinstall the baffles and drill and tap new holes there for new screws instead of the rivets and use insane strong loctite, and use FIPG. theres a few threads on it, check them out.

its a likely procedure for going with drilling and tapping method.

i welded -8AN on mine and didnt have to remove the baffles. comes pretty close to the turbo with a 90 degree fitting on the weld bung. inch or so.
    I've drilled many VCs and if you're careful I don't think you need to remove the baffles. I clean the hell out of them before and after. vacuum, solvent, water, compressed air, along with frequent vacuuming while drilling. with vent to atmosphere setups, not much risk anyway.
    Last edited by cvc9216; 01-06-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Now with JDM tyteness! foreverpsycotic's Avatar
    Can you post a picture of the lines under the radiator hose? I hope you don't mind, but I am going to steal your idea and run my 1jz like that.

Boost Addict
    3/8" npt for one side, 1/2" npt for other side. Been doing it this way for years.

'95 Turbo
    '09 G8 GXP

Quote Originally Posted by foreverpsycotic View Post
    Can you post a picture of the lines under the radiator hose? I hope you don't mind, but I am going to steal your idea and run my 1jz like that.
    I can't the car has a completely different setup now. I just had some small clamps bolted to the radiator

I drilled and tapped mine with the baffles in place. I was careful to keep as many shavings as possible out and then I flushed out the VC's with like a full can of brake cleaner followed by a ton of water from a garden hose. There is no way shavings were left in there. Better to keep the baffles in place IMO.

SupraForums Member
    i didnt have to drill, i just pulled the steel tubes out and tapped my AN fittings
    1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
    2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
    1990 All-Trac 3S-GTE
    1997 Celica GT 3MZ-FE
    1998 Dodge Cummins
    ------------------------------------
    5 Vehicles ALL BOOSTED!!!!!!

Started working on mine today. Worked on one side for about an hour reshaping the VC/Fitting to make it look OEM as possible. Just like the problems that the TB have with getting to weld properly you can see the pores. I am going to polish them so it shouldnt be noticeable afterwards. I worked on the driver side around an hour shaping it, will finish both sides up next week. I left the baffles in, didnt drill anything so it shouldnt be an issue, I will just flush them good with some brake clean after I finish.

1994 Red/Black TT Auto
    86K miles
    Roller...

HotSoup any update on your valve covers or catch can setup?

1995 Super White Hardtop 6-Speed
    | BoostLogic Turbo Kit w/ PTE 6766 | ProEFI | FSM Intake Manifold & Fuel Rail | V160 | HKS Carbon Ti | RPS C/C | GSC S1 & Beehives w/ Ti Retainers | ID1300 | RMM Lip & Wing | WORK Meister S1R |
    Alpha tuned: 816whp / 661tq - 6.570 @ 113.86mph w/ 1.651 60ft

Quote Originally Posted by Smaay View Post
    i didnt have to drill, i just pulled the steel tubes out and tapped my AN fittings

What do you mean exactly by "tapped" your AN fittings?? Do you mean tapped with a hammer? Sorry I am going to be putting AN fittings from oil catch can to motor soon and just wondering how to install the fitting without having to take the Valve covers off or drilling..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rallly View Post
    What do you mean exactly by "tapped" your AN fittings?? Do you mean tapped with a hammer? Sorry I am going to be putting AN fittings from oil catch can to motor soon and just wondering how to install the fitting without having to take the Valve covers off or drilling..
    Tap as in putting threads inside of a hole.
    Downside to owning a Supra

Quote Originally Posted by -defi- View Post
    down side? when girls get in and ask "where is the cup holder?"..... real question.... "Who the F*%! said you could bring a drink in here?!".

Okay, I have a tap & die set. But if I was to tap a thread in the hole wouldn't shavings get in my oil? Do I need to remove the valve cover for this?

Blog Entries
    Okay, I have a tap & die set. But if I was to tap a thread in the hole wouldn't shavings get in my oil? Do I need to remove the valve cover for this?
    That's why the guys ^ are talking about vacuuming and cleaning out the VC with water, solvent and compressed air. Yes, remove the VC for this.

Is there an alternative way to put ss braided line from oil catch can to vc? Not the PVC vc just the other one.

Blog Entries
    Welding the fitting on to the VC.

Is there an alternative way to put ss braided line from oil catch can to vc? Not the PVC vc just the other one.
    Yeah, use rubber hose on the stock fitting like the factory does! Some thick 1/2" fuel hose will do the trick.

Al
    94TT Auto, 6466
    Previous setup: HKS Twin 2835's
    9.57@142.42 32 psi, 10/29/06

Previous car: 90 Talon AWD, 5 spd, FP Red (60-1)
    10.56@132.36 built motor, 28 psi, Sept 2000

Blog Entries
    If you don't want to remove the VC to drill and tap the NPT to AN fittings, you shouldn't be adding a catch can to your setup yourself !

I had bough spare VC, I did my drill and tap on them, then took the time to install my Catch can, lines, vent and finally swap my VC for the prepared VC.

I had lets it soak in fuel and pressure washer it numerous times.

Now as it'S mounted and connected to the catch can, I just sold my untouched VC for 200$

Did the same thing for painting my spark plug cover 3L2, but that time I kept my original spark plug cover in case I want to put it back or paint it another color or drill for lexan cam pulley windows !

Always get a spare part, that way if you mess something it's not a big deal !

Guess it will be rubber hoses then. Shoulda done this when I replaced my vc gaskets :\

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast