Supra Forums banner

Can i buy an aftermarket 7mgte wiring harness ?

31K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  rebuild 
#1 ·
i own a 89 supra 7mge. I just bought a 7mgte engine. I need a wiring harness but idk were to buy one. Ive tryed the for sale section and ebay but they all sell to fast.

#21 · (Edited)
300 is very genaric... could be more expensive or cheaper... just depends what i get... If said customer has a 7mge/auto tranny... and wants a gte/auto harness and provides the materials..I would depin sensors from one harness and rebuild wires as needed... reloom solder shrink wrap...I'd probably do that for 400$... not too bad.. might take 7 hours :) customer pays shipping yadda yadda... I do wiring.. its easy and fun.. and 400$ is a reasonable price for me and a SF memeber...

I haven't really extended my services to anyone on here.. but I would like to.
I can estimate a job's cost just by knowing what needs to be done.. pretty straight forward.

#12 ·
I may be able to have plugs for you soon. I'm waiting for my adapted harness to arrive and it comes with all the GTE grey plugs you need. I have no use for the grey plugs because I need the yellow plugs. Once I get the harness, I'll ask you if you still need em.

Does your new 7mgte come with an ECU? Is your car manual or auto?

#14 ·
the harness depends on your ecu not your motor. atleast im pretty positive on that statement. Get an 87 88 ecu.. seems to be the easiest to find and get the same harness for those years. But you could get an 89+ ecu and get an 89+ harness as well. your choice.

#17 ·
The problem with buying used 23 yr old wiring is well their 23years old. Most likely you will have brittle/broken wires and same with the connectors from the heat and oils that leak on to it. I've had some harnesses that looked ok but once I started moving the harness around all I heard was crunching and cracking. You'll probably have to chase broken wires. So spending $700 for a new harness is well worth it IMHO. Heck Dr Tweak did a couple of my friends and also my own harness. He does really good work.

#26 ·
Is the gray plug harness a straight forward conversion to the yellow plugs? Cuz the aem for the 87-88 is alot cheaper... If its just the plugs on the harness, I'm tempted to do just that. I can't think of anything that's different. Except maybe that weird relay thing on driver fender? Headlight Washer relay maybe?

Or are the body plugs different? Even if they were, that shouldn't matter since the car is still an 89+

#28 ·
I am rebuilding a '88 mk3/7mgte for my son's first car. I am in need some engine harness connectors and the ternimals for them. The harness over the top of the engine that connects to the coolant sensors and such is trashed. Anyone have a line on them my local dealer is a waste of time even when you carry in the part number with you. Any help would be great. Thanks!

#29 ·
I haven't seen ANY vendor actually offer a "NEW" harness. There a bunch of shops that make spliced harnesses, going from a decent 1J/2J harness to a decent 7M harness, but I've never seen ANYONE offer an actual 100% new harness.

I built my own and it costs roughly $1000-1200 in raw parts alone. Had I used cheaper wire and smaller gauge, maybe only $800 or so. That doesn't include any labor.

I think most people, with very few exceptions, GREATLY under appreciate the work required to build a new harness or even repair a badly damaged one. It's not cheap and there's a damn good reason.

#31 ·
ray supra, can you or drtweak build me an engine wiring harness for a 7mgte with a manual trans? i just need a standard harness for now. itll be well worth the 700 bucks to not have to fuck around on ebay till one pops up. plus it wouldnt be an old crinkly piece of crap. just let me know. and ill let you know when i have the money up and we can deal come to a deal on shipping and payment and what not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.