Supra Forums banner

Brake caliper slide pin stuck?

15K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  D-Oaten 
#1 ·
Can anyone give an advice to what would be the best way to unstuck a brake caliper slide pin? I was currently changing my front rotors on my 89 supra and the left caliper won't seem to slide side to side, however i can push it up and down with some force, and since i can't move it side to side, I'm unable to mount it back on with the new pads.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated..

#6 ·
Make sure you clean off that slide pin with steel wool and repack it with the proper grease to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Using regular old axle grease that cannot deal with the high temps of braking components is usually what causes that to happen, as it will cook down into a glue-like resin over time.

#7 ·
100% silicone is a old mechanics tool but I dont think they sell anymore.. and you can Buy new pins.. Hon out the caliper and use some brake grease or 100% silicone.. Most of the time new calipers thou.. I got mine at a autostore for like under 60$ a peice for new caliper and hardware

#8 ·
just take the two bolts out of the hub that bolt the caliper bracket in place. take it off with the rotor, then go get a pair of new calipers and change them both. If one went out the other one won't be far behind.

Plus keeping things in the brake system equal is always a good idea.
Stock Mk3 calipers are cheap, I think I paid $40 each for mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.