Rear diffuser Ideas

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear diffuser Ideas

Band on the Run BeyondTheGrave77's Avatar

Rear diffuser Ideas

So I'm about to start my repaint project on my supra and after weeks of looking the only rear bumper Ive seen with a nice diffuser is the Trial rear, however I dislike almost everything else about the bumper(the way it bolts on the sides, that random line under the license plate). I was/am still considering it but the thing that aggravates me the most about it is that depending on the picture the whole bumper either looks good or like crap, where as EVERY picture of the stock rear looks good regardless so I'm kinda torn about purchasing one. Does anyone know of a supra /universal diffuser that would fit the supra that doesn't look terrible? I don't really care for the shine one either.

Last edited by 98SupraTwinTurbo; 06-21-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added information
    1300HP 1998 Toyota Supra Turbo

SupraForums Member
    Stick with the trial, here's mine .

^^ haha yours was actually one of the pictures I saw where I liked that bumper, but the two things I don't like are that cut line above the diffuser and how the bumper bolts on through the quarter panel adding an extra line. If I were to get it id wanna mold that line like vicious supra, and that pretty much means theres no going back. Where as I don't dislike a single thing about the stock bumper so I've pretty much talked myself into leaving the rear bumper alone.

SupraForums Member
    top secret style looks the best no doubt

East County, CA <---> Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico
    I just got the Trial bumper myself. It looks more OEM to me, where the TS one looks very track/race inspired. I think you have to have a very aggressive styled car to make that diffuser work.
    Orido's car is a good example of what that diffuser would match up properly with style-wise.
    '99 Lexus GS 300 -vvti Aristo swapped daily driver
    '71 GMC Jimmy - off roader
    '69 Pontiac Firebird, blown 540ci BBC
    '99 Mazda miata, FF supercharged - track machine
    '94 Mazda miata - undergoing LS2 swap
    '83 Dodge Ram crew cab shortbed 12v cummins, 77k miles
    '91 MR2, 1MZ-FE swapped - undergoing widebody install
    '96 HKS twin Supra - alpine, hardtop, 6-speed

TNH the trial bumper is good looking depending on the color and angles sometimes. I dont really want to purchase something im only 50% sure about since I would be molding that bumper to the rear cause of those extra mounting lines I was talking about. And after it gets molded, it will cost alot to go back to oem. I was thinking more of a modern diffuser/insert like most sedans/coupes have. I didnt realize how common they are on modern cars until I wanted one, now every mb/bmw/hyundai/lexus/ etc has a rear diffuser inspired section of the rear bumper thats black and has a few fins or indents in it. That TS diffuser to me might have been useful on a race supra, but for a street driven supra it seems more tacked on then designed to be there. The trial diffuser looks like it belongs, I just have some reservations about the rest of the bumper.

I was thinking something more like :

Last edited by BeyondTheGrave77; 06-22-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Is it turbo? Is it stick? TROLL's Avatar
    Wow, I have been trying to find someone to do something exactly like this for a while now... something that would just work with the stock rear bumper but be much more streamlined than the current diffuser options (Top Secret or Do Luck... or Trial bumper)
    I even referenced those same Evo and STi photos when gauging interest from people to make something, but haven't gotten anyone on board. I would be very interested in something like this if you come up with a solution.

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

SupraForums Member
    +1 for the TS Diffuser
    2000 Toyota Supra RZ TT6 VVTi - 202 Black
    1994 Toyota Supra RZ TT6 - 1A1 Anthracite
    Both imported by Jurgen @ JM IMPORTS

My YouTube Page

Yeah Top Secret in CF gets my vote.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannolis." -Peter Clemenza

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
    Wow, I have been trying to find someone to do something exactly like this for a while now... something that would just work with the stock rear bumper but be much more streamlined than the current diffuser options (Top Secret or Do Luck... or Trial bumper)
    I even referenced those same Evo and STi photos when gauging interest from people to make something, but haven't gotten anyone on board. I would be very interested in something like this if you come up with a solution.
    Troll, Im on board. Hahah. Come up with anything yet??

-Kyle

4/14/10 1997 RSP Supra **currently under the knife**

2007 GTI MKV aka The Stockmobile

Doluck, perhaps? for years I have been throwing around the idea of changing to this diffuser minus the spats.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post6419786

Click here to Email me
    95 red supra tt 6spd BPU+++
    http://youtu.be/1XSTOqvXAOY
    '95 Toyota Supra TT 6spd
    '06 Mitsubishi Evolution IX 5spd

Honestly, I think all the supra diffusers look like crap, and they just looked tacked on there. Aside from the original TOPSECRET one which people say were wind tested, I doubt the replica ones have been and so all of the other diffuser designs are aesthetics over function and I dont even think they got that right. Since most of these supra diffusers were designed 10> years ago they dont look very modern or useful. Recent rear bumpers have the diffusers designed as like an add-on piece connected to the bumper, and I think I may end up going that route eventually, I just don't have the time unfortunately to take on another project with my own interior/exterior rebuild happening right now. Ill probably retrofit a simple diffuser on there from another car, temporarily to see if its even worth it. But im suprised not many supra owners have looked in to that, if you type in diffuser DIY alot of other cars(stis,lancer,rx7,subaru,mitsubishi) have a bunch of topics on other people making custom ones, granted there more for show then racing.

I will have to agree with you on almost all parts of that except for the wind tunnel testing of the topsecret. The Doluck one has had actual testing performed maybe not wind tunnel, but real world testing at least done so by the manufacturer. The topsecret one is arguable as far as testing goes. Ppl claim it has been real world tested just because Smokey Nagata has done over 200mph with one on his car. That does not tell you if it helped or hindered his performance in any bit. If you have seen a topsecret diffuser installed up close you will wonder how it is supposed to really perform as a functional aero piece. I have not found concrete evidence but from what I have seen there is a possible indication that the topsecret diffuser was never even truly designed for our cars to begin with. It is the exact dimensions of the one made for FD RX7's. On the supra it does not extend all the way to the rear subframe as one would have expected it to, making it a less functional piece. My assumption is that it was designed for the RX7 and then just adapted to the supra either for its looks or hopes of being as functional on our cars. I had talks with my old room mate Andrew Brilliant, a race aero designer and we both concluded that the topsecret diffuser does offer some slight benefits, but is more so a piece for looks rather then actual functionality. In the end you do what you like and for whatever reasons you want but I thought I would share my thoughts and experience with the topsecret diffuser so you could have a little more insight on it. When ppl that are not into cars ask me about the diffuser I still tell them it is for aerodynamics, but I feel like I am full of shit when I respond LOL. I stress that these are just my thoughts and experiences, but you should always confirm your own feelings about things rather then just trust some stranger on a message board like me. LOL

Yea I mean im going more for show then race with my own car right now, but I am just intrigued about diffusers because I never cared about one, until I decided on that trial bumper(before backing out of that decision) and then noticing that almost every modern car be it an SUV or a coupe/sedan has some variation or design cue of a diffuser on its back bumper now.

From the land down under Mr Ree NZ's Avatar
    Modern cars install diffusers to help with the cars fuel economy becuase of reducing drag, they arent installed to help the car produce more pts of downforce.

Even the prius has a diffuser of sorts lol
    1996.8 JDM SZ JZA80 NA-T 310RWKW

Stock body looks best.

Joey - San Diego, CA
    -1994 Toyota Supra TT 6spd
    -2015 Audi A3 Sedan Quattro DSG

SupraForums Member
    i would go with the top secret man
    RB MOTORSPORTS

I personally love the TopSecret/Shine, as long as you got the right kit for your car like Ridox with the cf inserts

Ts

TS Diffuser looks the best. I have one on my supra and I always get complements on it.

My supra has been in storage for a year and I dont think ive logged onto SF for about that long also...

PS: for LOOKS only with no performance benefit, I got a mitsubishi diffuser (I think?!? im shipping my car back to LA so I can actually drive it next month and see) and I had it painted gloss black and centered/attached it to my stock rear bumper. I remember it looking pretty good as a test fit. Whenever I get my car I might take a pic and post here. But thats still like a month and a half way so dont count on one soon.

Did you snap any pics yet?

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheGrave77 View Post
    My supra has been in storage for a year and I dont think ive logged onto SF for about that long also...

PS: for LOOKS only with no performance benefit, I got a mitsubishi diffuser (I think?!? im shipping my car back to LA so I can actually drive it next month and see) and I had it painted gloss black and centered/attached it to my stock rear bumper. I remember it looking pretty good as a test fit. Whenever I get my car I might take a pic and post here. But thats still like a month and a half way so dont count on one soon.

+ Reply to Thread