blue smoke at idle, and bouncing idle

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: blue smoke at idle, and bouncing idle

blue smoke at idle, and bouncing idle

heres my story, once again. This car is literally driving me crazy, if i could find someone to buy it right now, i would sell it not today but yesterday. sorry for the rant. So, last sunday i was driving the supra having all fun with it, ran fine, just like it always did. The weather outside then was about 73 degrees, and then i just parked the car in the garage, because this week it was going to be crappy cold weather. Well now 4 days later, the weather outside is 42 degrees, and i decided to fire up the supra. she fired up just fine, however soon as i started it up, i went to the back, and to my surprise there was blue smoke coming out the exhaust for about 3 seconds straight, and after that it switched over to the white condensation smoke, i reved it up a little bit, and no blue smoke. Then when the idle dropped, it was idling like a piece of shit. My idle was bouncing between 800-900rpms, the car was shaking side to side a little bit, i reved it up, and no mis-fire or anything, but when the idle came back down it idled like shit. I took it for a drive, and the car ran fine, no check engine light code, i opened it up to about 4500rpms, brought it home, and it was running perfect, like whatever happened when i first started it up never even took place. when i usually let it sit for 2 days and start itup, theres no blue smoke, but this time there was. From my past thread, some of you may know that after a full gas tank, it will show that a little bit of oil has been burned on the dipstick. This car is just a mistery to me. i hope to be enlightened
    93' TT 6-speed BPU Hard Top

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

anyone know?? Im thinking its the twin turbos, the seals on them are just getting old

SupraForums Member
    Stock ecu?
    Single or stock twins?
    Miles?

Probably turbo seals.
    1996 Supra NA-T <Under Construction>

1997 Supra RSP, 6 SPD, HKS T04Z, AEM v1, AEM 5 bar, AEM WB, 1000cc, Carbonetics LSD, Driveshft shop HD driveshaft, VWR intake manifold, TRD 10k Tach, Exedy triple clutch, HKS fuel rail, HKS EVC 4, 6 piston Stillen breaks, Setrab oil cooler, TEIN flex with controller, HKS Ti, HKS TT, Volk TE-37, etc...

2012 GTR Black, intake, DP, MP, exhaust, ID 1100cc, COBB

Bone stock supra, nothing on it is aftermarket. 67 000 miles

SupraForums Member
    Blue smoke at startup could be a indication of valve stem seals. The puff of white smoke could be the colder weather.

Let it sit for 3 days if possible (to have this test be done right) start it up see if it smokes blue. Let it run for a minute let it all burn off (even though the smoke should last 3-5 second the most). Shut it off turn it back on if there is no blue smoke on the warm start up it is valve stem seals.

For the white smoke that is normal every car does it. Look under the oil cap and you should see white gunk which indicates condensation but should be gone when fully warmed up.
    543 @ 18 lbs pump gas. Alpha tuned

97 6765 l AEM l 1200cc w/ Dual Bosch 044's l K Sport Suspension l Ridox l Top Secret l Iforged l Sparco l

SupraForums Member
    +1 Valve seals and cold weather

Sounds like valve seals.

Mine had an issue with blowing blue smoke for no reason once and awhile while driving it, usualy at idle or deceleration,,,,So I installed a oil catch can from the valve cover on the passanger side, RHD Supra.

And Ive never had any blue smoke issues since.

Rick.
    JDM RZ-94 Supra TT. PHR Single KIT P6266/Haltech/Bride/Greddy/C'S/Volk Racing=585rwhp 540torque 22psi---SOLD---

Quote Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
    Let it sit for 3 days if possible (to have this test be done right) start it up see if it smokes blue. Let it run for a minute let it all burn off (even though the smoke should last 3-5 second the most). Shut it off turn it back on if there is no blue smoke on the warm start up it is valve stem seals.

For the white smoke that is normal every car does it. Look under the oil cap and you should see white gunk which indicates condensation but should be gone when fully warmed up.
    so what your saying is, i start the car up, let it do its blue smoke for 3 seconds, after the blue smoke is gone, immidiately shut it off, and then start it back up again?? Or what? And do the valve seals really do go this quickly?? i mean its only got 67 000miles, and for the valve seals to be going at this mileage is very surprising to me. I was thinking its the twin turbos. I mean if i let the car sit for 1 day, or 2 days, when i start it up cold it wont have any blue smoke. When i started the car up again this morning it was even colder this morning than it was yestarday, and there was no blue smoke at the start up today. I also put the little k&N filter on the valve cover, but that didnt seem to help, just checked my dip stick, and my oil has gone down a tiny bit compared to yestarday.

Quote Originally Posted by dreams95 View Post
    I mean if i let the car sit for 1 day, or 2 days, when i start it up cold it wont have any blue smoke.
    That would lead me to believe it is actually not the valve stem seals. Valve stem seals allow oil to leak into the combustion chamber (when the seals become hard and old) and they burn off on initial start up and NOT restart. If you don't get a puff of smoke when leaving a light after idling for say one minute I would look else where and not look at the valve stem seals.

Quote Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
    That would lead me to believe it is actually not the valve stem seals. Valve stem seals allow oil to leak into the combustion chamber (when the seals become hard and old) and they burn off on initial start up and NOT restart. If you don't get a puff of smoke when leaving a light after idling for say one minute I would look else where and not look at the valve stem seals.
    i have had multiple friends, behind me, even my dad. I was sitting waiting for a train to cross, idling away, as soon as i went, no blue smoke, no smell of smoke when i accelerated

Have you checked your spark plug's yet? Are they fouled with oil? Could be why you're idling bad. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by elbambino19 View Post
    Have you checked your spark plug's yet? Are they fouled with oil? Could be why you're idling bad. Just saying.
    the bad idle, is from my idle control valve i believe, that is just getting a bit sticky. I replaced my plugs 500kms ago, and the old ones ran perfect, took em out they werent even wet, they were the browish color, meaning the car is running good. Its the oil burning issue thats got me worried

Have you heard if your idle air control valve is trying to function at least by hearing it click when the car is turned off? have someone help you. If it clicks it should be sound electronically. If so take it off and clean it with carburetor cleaner then install agian and see if you have the same problem. The problem with the idle air control valve only sometimes happens when the car has warmed up. Did the problem begun before you install the new spark plugs if not they could be wet now. Just Saying.

Quote Originally Posted by elbambino19 View Post
    Have you heard if your idle air control valve is trying to function at least by hearing it click when the car is turned off? have someone help you. If it clicks it should be sound electronically. If so take it off and clean it with carburetor cleaner then install agian and see if you have the same problem. The problem with the idle air control valve only sometimes happens when the car has warmed up. Did the problem begun before you install the new spark plugs if not they could be wet now. Just Saying.
    i already cleaned out the idle control valve

today i took out my airbox filter, since i got the stock air box, and i found motor oil in the stock airbox, there wasnt a puddle, but there was enough of it at the very beggining of the air box, took a rag and wiped it all out. Im guessing now that i just seen this, its for sure the stock turbos. I just need 100% confirmation from someone before i go ahead and buy new turbos or start removing stuff.

If you like your Supra dont sell it because of worn valve seals. Not a huge task to replace. Getting oil in the IAC could cause a hunting idle but idle problems could also be caused by oil getting on the MAF sensor wires. Take out your MAF if your car has one and check to see if there is oil on it. If so clean it off with fast drying degreasing spray. Carb cleaner, brake cleaner etc. They actually sell MAF sensor cleaner now. If there is a lot of oil in your intake system your turbo seals are probably shot and thats not the cheapest and easiest fix.

my valve seals are not worn or shot at all. the car doesnt smoke blue oil, when i start it up every morning, and it doesnt create a huge white cloud of smoke. It will only have blue smoke when i start it up after having the car sit for more than 3 days, which is probably the turbo seals leaking oil. im gonna go ahead and purchase a set of rebuilt usdm turbos for it. I havent had the idle problem for a long time now, so i will leave that alone. Does anyone know, if i purchase the USDM turbos for my JDM supra, will the USDM turbos be a fully direct fit? Like the down pipe screws and everything will line up perfect??

SupraForums Member
    USDM turbos are different. They use a 4 bolt pattern to attach to the manifold whereas the jdm use a 3 bolt pattern. Downpipe is also different.
    94 hardtop TT 6 Speed

now that i know. I found the Gt28 JDM hybrid turbo's on speed for sale store, and i believe i am going to go with that pair. Does anyone know, stu has done quite a few upgrades, i read his thread, and sent him a pm, i just cant figure out if the ones from speed for sale, are still a full direct bolt on, on my fully stock jdm supra? I see on speed for sale, that, they are now V3.0 Hybrid turbo's and saw in his thread hes working on a new manifold, so i am confused at the moment if these will be a direct bolt on or not

+ Reply to Thread