R154 Transmission

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R154 Transmission

SupraForums Member

R154 Transmission

just wondering if anyone has swapped over from the w58 to the r154 tranny? if so, how did it work out for you? i currently am running NA-T with the gte short block setup. im looking to make more power but i need a stronger tranny. would the r154 be a possible fit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    yes it will fit, it can handle more then the w58. but not as much as a V160/V161. but it will be a cheaper setup, which will allow you to make more power the the w58. or you could always save up and wait to get a six speed.

SF Contributing Member xtoefield's Avatar
    scaring Flicktitty from bowling rematches
    what are you horsepower requirements? what's your current setup consist of? this topic has been beaten up so much and covered extensively.
    Daily: '13 Macbook Pro Numbers-750GB@5400RPM, Weekend: '90 MK3

Quote Originally Posted by miss_supra95 View Post
    Ugh, got my first dick.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtoefield View Post
    what are you horsepower requirements? what's your current setup consist of? this topic has been beaten up so much and covered extensively.
    well im not looking to shatter records, i dont take the car to the track or anything. i just drive it casually. im looking to make between 500-550 realistically which i know my turbo/setup can handle. its just a matter of finding the right tranny that can sustain that kind of power. having said all that, could this be a realistic option? ive looked into the v160 and honestly its not worth it to me right now b/c its just so much money between the tranny, differential and anything else i would need to successfully convert.

Im pushing 575rwhp and 552 fttq through my r154 not a single problem ever. Ive made over 630 rwhp as well and no problem with the tranny. Im looking for 750 plus here soon. As far as the clutch I run the ACT extreme pp and the southbend feramic six puck setup works awesome no slipping its pretty much the top of as far as a single disk goes, but if your going to buy a twin disk setup on top of the r154 you may as well buy the v160 for that cost.
    1992 Sc300-USDM 2jzgte swapped, Marlin Crawler R154, South Bend Clutch setup, 97 OEM Bumpers, E-85 gas only, Titan motorsports Fuel setup, turbonetics hp72, Full V-band Single Exit 3"Intercooler piping, Supra LSD, Tanabe Sustec Coilovers, AEM V2 with all sensors, Harness done by Tweak, Synapse Syn-chronic BOV, Rh pro evos j8's, Black Interior swapped, ICE COLD A/C, Fresh Black Onyx Paint, Tuned by Battleground Motorsports

SupraForums Member
    Blog Entries
    spend the cash and buy a used V160 and get it over with. You will kick your self in a few years if you dont

550whp for the r154 is cake. the v160 may be stronger (mainly only because its ratios are shorter) than the r154. basically since the v160's ratios are so much shorter, it sees less stress internally under load than the r154 would. in my opinion you're only paying for the hype of the v160 if you're not looking to make 600-700+ whp. i myself would consider going v160, but that's only because i've destroyed tons of r154 pressure plates, and grenaded one r154. another problem with the v160 is since its ratios are so short and close together you'll find yourself shifting a lot more than if you had a r154. with my 3.91 gears and a r154 i can go from 50-150 with just 3rd and 4th. bottom line, is my opinion is its not worth paying the 2-3k for a transmission you'll never need. unless you want to brag to your buddies that you have a six speed or something. haha.

Sisu Research & Development, Specializing in Expandable Fuel Injector Sales/Production.
    I'm currently not taking any new orders. I do plan to still build injectors in the future.
    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
    stable:
    90 supra, bw s366, 272 cams, srd 1400cc, e85, front/rear bbk, 2jz, megasquirt diypnp
    91 eagle talon tsi, bw s258, forged 6 bolt, built close ratio trans, PTT twin disc, evo brakes

^ You can't be serious.

SF Contributing Member xtoefield's Avatar
    scaring Flicktitty from bowling rematches
    Quote Originally Posted by Juhanis View Post
    550whp for the r154 is cake. the v160 may be stronger (mainly only because its ratios are shorter) than the r154. basically since the v160's ratios are so much shorter, it sees less stress internally under load than the r154 would. in my opinion you're only paying for the hype of the v160 if you're not looking to make 600-700+ whp. i myself would consider going v160, but that's only because i've destroyed tons of r154 pressure plates, and grenaded one r154. another problem with the v160 is since its ratios are so short and close together you'll find yourself shifting a lot more than if you had a r154. with my 3.91 gears and a r154 i can go from 50-150 with just 3rd and 4th. bottom line, is my opinion is its not worth paying the 2-3k for a transmission you'll never need. unless you want to brag to your buddies that you have a six speed or something. haha.
    . you're fucking retarded or trolling.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juhanis View Post
    interesting lol

SupraForums Member
    hope someone can help me with this question. would my current master cylinder work for this swap or do i absolutely need the mkiii master cylinder?

SF Contributing Member atown636's Avatar
    No need to swap masters cylinders, the mk4 master works fine

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atown636 View Post
    No need to swap masters cylinders, the mk4 master works fine
    thank you sir!

wasting my life on SF muchoboosto's Avatar
    Sorry, not to jack the thread, but I am about to go NA-Auto to R154. Do I need to swap the auto tunnel with a manual tunnel to accommodate the R154 (or is that only for the v160)?

1994 Supra NA-T/R154
    1968 Dodge Charger 440/727 AUTO
    1968 Dodge Charger Drag Car-full tube chasis on 32x14x15s

My site,
    www.backoutofwhack.com

SupraForums Member a10secstreetcar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by muchoboosto View Post
    Sorry, not to jack the thread, but I am about to go NA-Auto to R154. Do I need to swap the auto tunnel with a manual tunnel to accommodate the R154 (or is that only for the v160)?
    No auto Tunnel will be fine.. Depending on you extension on the shifter assembly you will make 2 small 1" cuts to tuck/cut for the shifter to come through. Very easy! Btw v160 FTW, I was R154 for a week! The R154 just does not feel right, and this is coming from someone who has owned 600hp+ mk3's with r154's..

Proof:

Last edited by a10secstreetcar; 01-03-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    ~Kyle
    Because MERICA!
    '14 Ford F250 4x4 6.7 Powerstroke diesel Tuned & Deleted
    Gas saver...
    '12 VW GTI: Eurojet exhaust & Bov
    Off road toys...
    '14 Kawi KFX450R
    '14 Kawi KX450F

Because race car...
    Officially on the hunt for my next mkiv

wasting my life on SF muchoboosto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a10secstreetcar View Post
    No auto Tunnel will be fine.. Depending on you extension on the shifter assembly you will make 2 small 1" cuts to tuck/cut for the shifter to come through. Very easy! Btw v160 FTW, I was R154 for a week! The R154 just does not feel right, and this is coming from someone who has owned 600hp+ mk3's with r154's..
    You are the man! Thanks bud!

SupraForums Member
    for anyone who has done this swap, which tranny mount am i going to need? ive heard the r154 tranny mount should work while someone else said it wont work but i could use my w58 mount with a cross member.. can any1 clear this up for me so i know what im going to need? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterman View Post
    for anyone who has done this swap, which tranny mount am i going to need? ive heard the r154 tranny mount should work while someone else said it wont work but i could use my w58 mount with a cross member.. can any1 clear this up for me so i know what im going to need? thanks
    I used the w58 mount with auto cross member, so the w58 mount with the existing 5 spd cross member should work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by muchoboosto View Post
    You are the man! Thanks bud!
    Np!

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a10secstreetcar View Post
    I used the w58 mount with auto cross member, so the w58 mount with the existing 5 spd cross member should work as well.
    thanks alot man!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterman View Post
    thanks alot man!
    Glad I could help..

From the land down under Mr Ree NZ's Avatar
    When I installed my R154 (from a jzx90 or 100 with remote shifter) The mount and crossmember bolted straight up to my A80, no changes needed.

It seems the mount/crossmember for the 7M R154's are in a slightly different position.
    1996.8 JDM SZ JZA80 NA-T 310RWKW

Quote Originally Posted by Scotchington View Post
    ^ You can't be serious.
    nah, the whole thing was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by xtoefield View Post
    . you're fucking retarded or trolling.
    i have no idea what i'm talking about... here i'll be like everyone else v16x = best transmission in the world. every car should have one.

^ Is this real life?

SupraForums Member
    I'm running the r154 in my mkiv with 2jzgte and gs400 rear end. somehow my speedo is off by like 7-10mph when I'm doing 70mph on the car my GPS says I'm going 79mph or so. any idea how to fix this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text