Supra Forums banner

Best year for of production for MKIV Supras?

3K views 40 replies 37 participants last post by  Team 40 
#1 ·
What do you think was the best year in terms of overall quality for the MKIV Supras? and why?

#3 ·
Not a year, specifically, but I prefer the pre-97 years in terms of overall quality. The 97-98's were built cheaper, with lower quality interior materials. The prior years had real leather-wrapped door handles instead of the el-cheapo rubbery plastic molded ones that peal with age. The seat leather quality is thicker and nicer in the prior years and holds up to wear much better. The 97-98 also had vinyl/plastic covered visors as opposed to the felt-like fabric covered from the prior years. The interior door skins used a thinner, lower quality material. There was some chassis stiffening done in the later years that helped a lot of chassis flex with the targa top removed, but you can get a Hardtop in '93-95 :). Also the 2-channel ABS vs. the older 4-channel system.

For the most part, they are mechanically identical throughout the years, the only tangible difference I've observed that sets them apart is the material quality differences.

#9 ·
'95's are the best

#23 · (Edited)
97-98 cars had the best colors and better looking exterior. Also have the newer case design on the Getrag V160, dunno if that matters.

93-96 were built a little bit better and are OBD I. We don't have to swap out a standalone to pass emissions. Very nice feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.