Is it difficult to Change motor mounts?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it difficult to Change motor mounts?

SupraForums Member

Is it difficult to Change motor mounts?

Hello Supra Fans, has anybody changed their motor mounts and if you have how hard is it? Thanx my supra is almost reaching 200,000 miles and i starting to feel a vibration from the motor, might need motor mount change. Doing TRD Motor mounts on a 1997 auto tt.

Thank You in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

time consuming more than anything i would think. Youll have to lift the motor obviously, which means disconnecting the shifter linkage and drive shaft. Radiator hoses need to come off and the heater core lines. Dont forget the grounds as well and the a/c and p/s lines. You might be able to get by without undoing them but its sketchy.

|| Borg Warner/S366 || Greddy EMU || E85 || Single walbro 450lb/hr || 1260cc || Pressurized Performance ||
    http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ct-Defiance)))

SF Contributing Member Tayousei's Avatar
    I have a 94 auto TT and I tried getting it from the bottom, but after a fruitless and frustrating attempt at it, I decided to pull the motor, and then it snowballed into a build I never intended to do... Now I'm single turbo'd, stroked, built auto, etc.... allll because of those motor mounts, lol. Good luck and hide your own wallet!
    1994 Supra, 3.25L Stroker, BW S363, ProEFI, Titan S2 trans/stall, OS Giken LSD, S1 cams fully built by Eden (me.) - 636RWHP @ 20PSI on E70
    My Build Thread

www.TheraVape.net
    www.facebook.com/theravapeinc

SupraForums Member
    Just did this about a month ago its a pain in the ass I even did mine on a lift. I wouldent do it myself again and just have somone else do it.

Not all that difficult, IMO, but on a '97 you'll need to swap out the brackets, which will definitely make it much more labor intensive. Using a cherry picker my buddy and I did the TRD mounts on my old '94 6sp in maybe 2-3 hours at most. We did it while I was in the middle of a single swap, so the stock twins were out of the way, but the intake manifold and everything on that side of the bay was still intact. The cherry picker wasn't long enough to get it from the front and I didn't want to to drop the bumper so we did it from the side, one side at a time. On the driver side you can get to the top bolt by removing the oil filter and leaving everything else in place.

1993.5 Supra TT Wingless Hardtop 6sp -- 74mm, S1 cams -- 10.4 @ 138MPH [previously 468WHP & 11.3 @ 125MPH stock twins]
    1994 RX-7 -- Streetport, 71GTS, Haltech, etc.. #'s TBD

1999 3000GT VR-4 -- 12.5 @ 108MPH 100% stock w/ Flash tune
    2003 350Z Touring 6sp -- Daily Beater -- 13.9 @ 102MPH stock
    2003 Denali XL -- Grocery Getter & Tow Rig -- 13's (mpg)

Formerly:
    1997 Supra TT Auto BPU -- 12.0 @ 122MPH
    1994 Supra 6sp - old school 72mm, stock longblock -- 722WHP & 10.36 @ 139.5MPH
    1993.5 Supra TT Auto BPU

if you have access to a lift jst unbolt the front sub-frame and hold the engine up with a cherry picker while using the lift to raise the car.

If you have never done mounts before, it can be a pain in the ass. But it's not the hardest car to do it on.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ight=Wheel+hop this thread has a way to do the change in fifteen minutes u will need to look thru it to find it more or less he used a cutoff wheel and cut into the lag of the engine mount and uses a screwdriver to unscrew it.
    So Smooth......Always!

Quote Originally Posted by ovey1 View Post
    http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ight=Wheel+hop this thread has a way to do the change in fifteen minutes u will need to look thru it to find it more or less he used a cutoff wheel and cut into the lag of the engine mount and uses a screwdriver to unscrew it.
    Here is the post in that thread:
    "Just got back in from some more testing. I went ahead and re-installed the TRD engine mounts. For those of you who have never done engine mounts, I have a trick for you. I cut a slot in the end of each of the lower stud heads. This allows you to install the engine mount with the stud out then simply screw the stud back in once the engine mount is in place. I was able to do both mounts in about 10 minutes like this...way faster! With the TRD engine mounts back in there was no increase or decrease in the shuddering."
    - TurboMatt
    1994 Renaissance Red TT 6-Speed - 96K - ~400whp BPU++
    Quote Originally Posted by mpobor View Post
    but i can't deny the part of me that is really douche
    Feel free to ask or PM for anything and everything about Computer Hardware

Yea I did it the other day, bitch of a job, just changing the mounts isn't so bad as you can get to the top ones with uni joints and bars but you need to people. I changed the legs that bolt on the block and it was such a bitch, you'll need a decent tool set.and a mate helping, 4 hours and we had a pit but I did have to remove my.external gate and oil cooler sandwich plate to get at it

SupraForums Member
    Thanks Guys sounds likes its going to be a job but it must be done.

+ Reply to Thread