Supra Forums banner

Is it difficult to Change motor mounts?

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  SupraGT 
#1 ·
Hello Supra Fans, has anybody changed their motor mounts and if you have how hard is it? Thanx my supra is almost reaching 200,000 miles and i starting to feel a vibration from the motor, might need motor mount change. Doing TRD Motor mounts on a 1997 auto tt.

Thank You in advance.

#2 ·
time consuming more than anything i would think. Youll have to lift the motor obviously, which means disconnecting the shifter linkage and drive shaft. Radiator hoses need to come off and the heater core lines. Dont forget the grounds as well and the a/c and p/s lines. You might be able to get by without undoing them but its sketchy.

#3 ·
I have a 94 auto TT and I tried getting it from the bottom, but after a fruitless and frustrating attempt at it, I decided to pull the motor, and then it snowballed into a build I never intended to do... Now I'm single turbo'd, stroked, built auto, etc.... allll because of those motor mounts, lol. Good luck and hide your own wallet!

#5 ·
Not all that difficult, IMO, but on a '97 you'll need to swap out the brackets, which will definitely make it much more labor intensive. Using a cherry picker my buddy and I did the TRD mounts on my old '94 6sp in maybe 2-3 hours at most. We did it while I was in the middle of a single swap, so the stock twins were out of the way, but the intake manifold and everything on that side of the bay was still intact. The cherry picker wasn't long enough to get it from the front and I didn't want to to drop the bumper so we did it from the side, one side at a time. On the driver side you can get to the top bolt by removing the oil filter and leaving everything else in place.

#9 ·
Here is the post in that thread:
"Just got back in from some more testing. I went ahead and re-installed the TRD engine mounts. For those of you who have never done engine mounts, I have a trick for you. I cut a slot in the end of each of the lower stud heads. This allows you to install the engine mount with the stud out then simply screw the stud back in once the engine mount is in place. I was able to do both mounts in about 10 minutes like this...way faster! With the TRD engine mounts back in there was no increase or decrease in the shuddering."
- TurboMatt

#10 ·
Yea I did it the other day, bitch of a job, just changing the mounts isn't so bad as you can get to the top ones with uni joints and bars but you need to people. I changed the legs that bolt on the block and it was such a bitch, you'll need a decent tool set.and a mate helping, 4 hours and we had a pit but I did have to remove my.external gate and oil cooler sandwich plate to get at it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.