Power steering rack bushings. A must do for all supra owners!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Power steering rack bushings. A must do for all supra owners!

SF Contributing Member Tayousei's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supralover93 View Post
    where are you guys getting the power flex bushings and whats the difference? also, PF shows 2 different sizes, 47mm and 50mm while the R2 only has one. why is that?
    Got mine from PHR a couple years ago and just sat in my pile of parts until a few days ago :P The difference between R2 and Powerflex, other than the color, is that powerflex is a bit softer when digging your nail in so it's likely a bit lower durometer rating. Being that both are already harder than stock rubber, I used all Powerflex to retain a better ride quality except where they were missing a few in their kit and I had to use R2's.
    1994 Supra, 3.25L Stroker, BW S363, ProEFI, Titan S2 trans/stall, OS Giken LSD, S1 cams fully built by Eden (me.) - 636RWHP @ 20PSI on E70
    My Build Thread

www.TheraVape.net
    www.facebook.com/theravapeinc

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member supralover93's Avatar
    What were they missing?

93 turbo targa
    auto
    BPU

SF Contributing Member Tayousei's Avatar
    I couldn't tell you anymore. It was a couple years ago and I forget which were missing but it was at least one or maybe two per side that only the R2 set had, and I think the R2 set was missing one or two the Powerflex set had. It was stupid so I bought both sets and gave the leftovers away to my friend or I may have thrown them in the garbage, thinking nobody would want to buy an incomplete set.

SF Contributing Member Northstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner562 View Post
    I have these installed after I found mine worn.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...00rackbush.php
    Did you notice a difference with the driftmotion bushings installed? Interesting that DM uses all aluminum for the steering rack bushing....
    Last edited by Northstar; 07-09-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    Ryan
    '94 Single 6 Speed
    '03 Acura CL Type-S 6 Speed
    Instagram

YouTube Channel

My RR Supra Build| HRE | Ridox |& More...

Quote Originally Posted by HellBringer View Post
    Not driving and/or modding a Supra is like not banging your hot, horny girlfriend/wife in hopes she'll be more appealing to her next boyfriend/husband.

SupraForums Member
    I dunno if I would use solid alum bushings. I would think how its mounted it would need some crushing or it might wear funny.

Blog Entries
    Yea I wouldn't think that al would be a good idea at all unless you want the steering wheel to shake a lot.

Steve

1993.5 Anthracite 6 SPD // PRO EFI // PTE6766 // 3-Row // E-85 Fuel Sys // PHR I/M // GSC // CP 10/1 motor // Manley // RPS C/C // CCW C14 // Brembo BBK // TRD LSD

I did this and i removed my rack for ease of installation but im sure you can do it in the car if the engine is out. It took me 2 minutes to get them out. The key was an Air hammer . I inserted the pencil tip of the air hammer bit inside the hole of the stock bushing. Pulled the trigger and they came right out. hope that helps some of you guys.

1994 MKIV Supra Ms3 BWs376 Th400 and some juice.
    9.4 @ 150mph 1.4 60 foot

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish View Post
    I dunno if I would use solid alum bushings. I would think how its mounted it would need some crushing or it might wear funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1A1 View Post
    Yea I wouldn't think that al would be a good idea at all unless you want the steering wheel to shake a lot.

Steve
    I did some searching and found few threads on the SC (Lexus) forums and even the mustang forums (i know not same car) that they run/prefer the all aluminum bushing for the steering rack ONLY. Basically there were no issues with running them. No vibrations, no noise, etc.. Just positive reviews and steering was more responsive.

Perhaps Aaron from DM can come in here and comment on them.
    Last edited by Northstar; 07-10-2013 at 09:35 AM.

SupraForums Member
    Just got my R2 kit in today, will be doing them tomorrow.

SupraForums Member
    Thanks to rawfish and this thread I jumped on the bandwagon and purchased new steering rack bushings. I noticed that one of the my factory bushings was torn on top but wasn't sure if I wanted to replace it. After reading this thread and seeing how rawfish's bushings looked I was convinced I needed to change mine.

Tuesday I ordered the R2 bushings from MVP and they quickly arrived today so I got to work and replaced them. With the engine out, the swap is fairly simple. The only difficult task was removing the stock bushings, I pounded them out with a hammer and socket. Had the engine been in, I can see it being much more difficult. Here are a few pictures from the swap.

Here is the large bushing on the passenger side. Similar to rawfish, mine was in good shape but the R2 bushing is much stiffer.

Lower drivers side bushing, it appears to be in good shape.

Upper drivers side bushing, if you look close you can see the bottom of the bushing is torn. This is what led me to want to change, but until this thread I wasn't sure I would.

And this is why I'm glad I replaced the bushings. From the pictures above, they appeared to be in ok shape, however this is what they looked like once removed. The top and bottom rubber hats were completely torn.

Here is the new R2 Racing Steering Rack Bushing kit from MVP:

And finally the installed bushings!

I need to retweak the lower outside bushing as it seems to be crooked on one side. Plus after looking at the picture I realized I forgot to put the washer back on.

I don't know if I'll notice a difference in the steering, but at least I will know the bushings aren't torn. I recommend this upgrade to all Supra owners!
    DaveT
    94 Red Auto: BL6466, BL Fuel System, BL Built Auto, Titan TC, 10:1, ProEFI

Build Thread

Is this possible without pulling the motor?
    -Logan B.
    @Supraman42

MKiV 6 speed TT Single 67mm
    http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...of-my-RR-Supra

Blog Entries
    It is possible without pulling the motor, however, unless your stock bushings are in really bad shape, you'll need to pull the rack at least. I had to pull my rack and use a press to press out the old bushings as mine were actually in pretty good shape. I did go ahead and do that though (pull the rack).

My R2 kit is older and the large bushing looks different. IT is just round. I may ask Robert about exchanging it as I am sure it won't work as well as the newer design.

Steve K.

IMHO, the main purpose of the stock rubber rack bushings is Toyota's constant quest for lowering NVH, but if you want the most precise steering feel, solid bushings are the way to go. We have sold at least 200 sets of the Battle Version aluminum bushings in the last few years and I honestly haven't had anyone say that it made the car too noisy or caused vibration, but if you are someone who wants the quiest car possible, then poly or new stock bushings would probably be better for you. I am finally building my own MK4 Supra right now and I will be using the solid ones for sure
    Bigaaron from Driftmotion
    93 MK4 Supra with a 1.2JZ (it's not a typo)
    88 Supra with 1JZ-GTE.

thinking about getting the solid ones.

Mine showed up yesterday and replacing them this weekend.

DP

-Do more with less......

'95 Toyota Supra TT 6-spd Targa JRR/MoTeC M130 , AP 3.4L, SP F1, Tilton, Precision, Recaro, Bilstein, ID, Boostlogic, PHR, ETS....
    '14 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport
    '09 Dodge Ram 3500 QCLB Dually 6.7 CTD EFI Live by Anarchy
    '05 Toyota Camry XLE

Quote Originally Posted by orvacian View Post
    IMHO, the main purpose of the stock rubber rack bushings is Toyota's constant quest for lowering NVH, but if you want the most precise steering feel, solid bushings are the way to go. We have sold at least 200 sets of the Battle Version aluminum bushings in the last few years and I honestly haven't had anyone say that it made the car too noisy or caused vibration, but if you are someone who wants the quiest car possible, then poly or new stock bushings would probably be better for you. I am finally building my own MK4 Supra right now and I will be using the solid ones for sure
    Thanks for you input on the solid bushings for the steering rack.. I would like to replace mine soon.

60 Supras have tighter steering thanks to this thread. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProPilot
    Get what will support your future. If you dont have the money to do it right you don't have the money to do it twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProPilot
    If "Boost" is a way of life, then these cars (Supras) are a disease. Once you own one good one you'll have the sickness forever. Godspeed.
    In other words: I'll probably be back one day.

03 BMW M5 - Tubi catback, drop in K&Ns, Brembo BBK F&R... freaking brilliant!!!

97 Supra TT/V160 (red)- sold
    ProEFI - 808rwhp @ 29psi/E85
    94 Supra Roller 10/10 body - sold
    95 Supra NA Auto 3.26 rear end 28mpg - sold
    98 Supra TT Auto - sold
    97 Supra TT/V160 w/ 212,000 miles & was 9.5/10 condition - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    Did you notice a difference with the driftmotion bushings installed? Interesting that DM uses all aluminum for the steering rack bushing....
    I put the DM rack bushings in my car a couple years ago and it makes a night and day difference. Takes out any slop you might have but also makes any bumps in the road a little more noticeable in the steering wheel. Not really a deal breaker though unless you have sensitive hands :-p

'96 NA-T, 542rwhp 5-speed

SupraForums Member
    Just did mine with the motor in. I pryed them out with a flat head and installed the new ones. It was about two hours of work since the one around the rack has the bracket and it took a few tries to reinstall the bolts. Had to barely start one in and then do the other one. We'll see how good they are in a week when I can drive the car again since its under construction.

Potato blood in my veins SlackJawOutlaw's Avatar
    Sikky also makes a kit, aluminum solids.
    http://www.sikky.com/view_item.php?id=164&catid=11
    Looks good.
    1994 Renaissance Red TT 6-Speed - 4XX whp BPU++ // Currently being built into mental racecar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpobor View Post
    2:i also see supra banging like a fighterjet and others in same condition that they don't bang at all...
    i suppose that bang is not good fore the engine... but as i said my douche side sometime need to show off and i was wondering if i need to buy something to have this bang
    or it's just wrong mapping so bad performance?...

Feel free to ask or PM for anything and everything about Computer Hardware

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProPilot View Post
    60 Supras have tighter steering thanks to this thread. LOL
    Make it 61 LOL I just purchased a set from MVP.

I just did mine this morning. It took about 1hr with the engine in the car. The car feels amazing, the steering response is better. This is a easy an inexpensive mod. I did it while changing the oil.
    Last edited by JeanB95tt; 07-20-2013 at 01:18 PM.

SupraForums Member
    Did the solid bushings in mine a few years back and no complaints. Found them for half the price as what the linked ones in here were though.

with the rack bushings bad would it cause the steering to shudder/vibrate when stopped and turning the wheel?
    Sponsors
    HYPERSPEED MOTORSPORTS
    T1RACEDEVELOPMENT
    Look them up on the web

Earth.. On Top Some Girl in.. NY,GA,FL...
    Thanks for the info,guess i have to go place my order ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text