Toyo Proxes R888

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toyo Proxes R888

91' 300ZX Slicktop(1of36) David_T_Hanna's Avatar

Toyo Proxes R888

So i'm currently saving up for a set of CCW classics 18x9/10 for my next 300ZX and i've decided on Toyo Proxes R888 tires all around. Anyone here running this tire in a 295/30/18? If so, pictures and input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Not quite done with the build, but I had four new shoes put on two weeks ago (thus the stickers). You'll have to excuse the crappy lens distortion from my phone - makes the tires look narrower than they are. On a Supra with wheels made for the car, they're a perfect fit...and I'm pretty picky about offset and tire fitment. I would assume CCW does just as well for fitment on a Z as they do for the Supra.

On 18x10, +42 for the Supra guys.

Shitty lens distortion looks like 255's. lol

I also have 18x9" on the front, and the rear ratio matches the 255/35's very well.

Hope that helps for now. I'll get lots of good pics that will be more representative once the car is done.
    Good luck,
    Mike
    Last edited by Dego Red; 08-31-2013 at 08:04 AM.

SupraForums Member Seattle Express's Avatar
    Not to thread jack, but since you guys are on the topic of R888's, can you tell me how well the tire handles (laterally)? I know it's an excellent street tire for straight line traction, but have always wondered how well it performs in the turns.
    Street: 1994 Danube Blue 3000GT VR-4 (1 in 127) BPU
    Track: 2JZ POWERED 300ZX
    STOCK BLOCK // HKS T51R // GSC S1 // RPS TWIN CARBON // VIPEC // FLEX FUEL // 726whp // 611wtq

Biography (Build Thread): http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-swap-(-Z32JZ-)
    Dyno Tune Video & Graph: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2N0Xr2BiGU

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Express View Post
    Not to thread jack, but since you guys are on the topic of R888's, can you tell me how well the tire handles (laterally)? I know it's an excellent street tire for straight line traction, but have always wondered how well it performs in the turns.

The Toyo R888 was designed as a autocross/track/HPDE tire, that's DOT approved, not the other way around. Terrible choice if you live in a area that gets rain, or if you want to put miles on the car. Tread depth is just 6/32nds and treadware rating is just 100. Three burnouts and you're on a bald tire in the rain. It rarely rains in San Diego from what I'm told though. If you live in Washington State, I'd surely cross it off your potential tire list. Find a street tire for the street, not a autox tire.
    Last edited by Hurrakaine; 08-31-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    1997 RSP/Black Bpu 6 speed
    1997 Black Auto TT BPU #1
    1997 Black Auto TT BPU #2

Always looking to buy clean lower mileage 6 speed supra's, and RSP's

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurrakaine View Post
    The Toyo R888 was designed as a autocross/track/HPDE tire, that's DOT approved, not the other way around. Terrible choice if you live in a area that gets rain, or if you want to put miles on the car. Tread depth is just 6/32nds and treadware rating is just 100. Three burnouts and you're on a bald tire in the rain. It rarely rains in San Diego from what I'm told though. If you live in Washington State, I'd surely cross it off your potential tire list. Find a street tire for the street, not a autox tire.
    I drive my car every day to work.. I have done a few burn outs ... And a lot of pulls ... And they handle great In the rain. ... But I'm obviously not going to drive on a Bald tire in the rain

aem v1. hks t51r

Stock block .. Gsc s2. Fic 2150cc. Greddy 3row

783hp @ 28psi. 853hp @32psi.

Seattle express, i'm attempting the same build. My brother PM'd you the other day on some Radiator specs. And thanks for the input so far guys, since i live here in SD and there isn't much rain, and it's 95 degrees right now i'll most likely pick myself up a full set when the time comes.

Seattle Express, go with BFG KDW 2 tires, amazing treadwear and very grippy. I know of a handful of 600whp 600ftlb Cobra guys running them and they had nothing but positive comments on everyday driving and rain grip.

I have 285's r888's on 18 by 10s in the rear. They are awesome for 550 hp. Obviously like any other tire cold weather they need to be driven on to warm up to hook them. I never driven in the rain so I can't tell you about that. But I love these tires for the price.
    543 @ 18 lbs pump gas. Alpha tuned

97 6765 l AEM l 1200cc w/ Dual Bosch 044's l K Sport Suspension l Ridox l Top Secret l Iforged l Sparco l

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspec mk4 View Post
    I drive my car every day to work.. I have done a few burn outs ... And a lot of pulls ... And they handle great In the rain. ... But I'm obviously not going to drive on a Bald tire in the rain
    I don't drive mine everyday but pretty often, even in some rain, and after a few track days and thousands of street miles they still look and work great.

Quote Originally Posted by David_T_Hanna View Post
    Seattle Express, go with BFG KDW 2 tires, amazing treadwear and very grippy. I know of a handful of 600whp 600ftlb Cobra guys running them and they had nothing but positive comments on everyday driving and rain grip.
    I realize it's only opinions unless I try them myself, but both on this forum and elsewhere I've read lots of negatives about the KDW2's not being worth a shit.
    Nick 95 6sp
    Twin Garrett GT2860's w/TiAL exhaust housings, WG's and BOV's, on V-band moded HKS twin manifolds, AEM v2, AEM WB, ID1000's,
    AEM meth/water spray kit, GSC S1 cams, ported head Ferrea valvetrain, +0.020" CP pistons w/crown & skirt coatings, Carrillo H-beams,
    OS Giken triple clutch & Super Lock LSD, Racelogic TC, TRD gen2 catback
    street wheels: Veilside EvoV 9-1/2"F X 10-1/2"R with 265/35F & 285/35R NT05's
    track wheels: CCW LM5 10"F X 11-1/2"R with 285/30F & 315/30R R888's

Definitely the best rear tires I have tried on my Supra (600+ rwhp) in 10 years! Actually very surprised by the wear which is much better than expected. Grip is fantastic, as expected, both laterally and in a straight line. Great choice, just be a bit careful in rain.

I'm pretty sold on R888's, haven't heard anything negative other than iffy rain traction and that they're loud tires, but i could care less about road noise hahaha

Only downside is the thread wear but it really shines everywhere else. I've also drove in the rain over a 100 miles once & not an issue if you know not to be an idiot. I've also done many hard pulls, standstills etc & it still has life left.

With ANY tire, driver style & duties would always be a factor but you will be more than happy with them. I am
    ///

ALPINE 6spd BPU
    BLACK 6spd SP71-APU J. Nenni Tunned
    BLACK SC/GTE BL62-APU BUILT R154 4"DP/MP dual APEXI'S - SOLD
    E-AMG Daily

I noticed that their tire sizes also run a bit bigger than most others, so i'm dropping 295's on a 18x10. Plus they sit so square and aggressive it's ridiculous. Well i know what the clear choice is, thanks guys much appreciated!

I'm running KDW 2's right now on my rear street wheels, and I'm honestly not impressed. They don't hook very well at all. Just my observation and experience. I've heard nothing but great things about the R888's though, so I guess they'll be my next pair of rears. I very rarely drive in the rain and when I do I never go full throttle because the car can barely hook in the dry, let alone in the wet, so why even think about it?

David T Hanna: I hope I was able to help your brother. I'd be interested to know what he decided to do.

im going 305's on my 10" rims, it will fit. These tires seem to be great and can handle some rain.
    4 digits on pump&meth is not impossible.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Express View Post
    I'm running KDW 2's right now on my rear street wheels, and I'm honestly not impressed. They don't hook very well at all. Just my observation and experience. I've heard nothing but great things about the R888's though, so I guess they'll be my next pair of rears. I very rarely drive in the rain and when I do I never go full throttle because the car can barely hook in the dry, let alone in the wet, so why even think about it?

David T Hanna: I hope I was able to help your brother. I'd be interested to know what he decided to do.
    I agree. The KDW2's are prob okay for 400whp max. Im running 18x295's at 25 psi on a 10.5" rim and no traction until 3rd gear at 500whp.
    93 Baltic blue 6spd - 6766

Quote Originally Posted by David_T_Hanna View Post
    I noticed that their tire sizes also run a bit bigger than most others, so i'm dropping 295's on a 18x10. Plus they sit so square and aggressive it's ridiculous. Well i know what the clear choice is, thanks guys much appreciated!
    Good size choice for 10". They are very square edged and would fit just right on there.

I had KDW 2's before and the grip wasn't all that. GREAT thread wear/life I must say and an excellent wet tire if you ecounter numerous drenched days.

Since Nitto is manufactured by Toyo. The only difference is the thread pattern/design, and some sizes between these tires:

Toyo T1R = Nitto NT555
    Toyo RA1 = Nitto NT555R
    Toyo R888 = Nitto NT01

IMO a tire that splits the difference between a track tire, and a summer tire would be the Nitto NT05. Its made by Toyo, slightly better treadwear, tread-depth, and it offers better resistance to standing water.

http://www.nittotire.com/tire/nt05

I love my R888s so much that I would like to put them on the front as well. I don't drive my car in the rain, but have not had any problems when caught in a surprise shower.

Is anyone running these up front? If so, what do you think?

Seattle Express, my brother actually PM'd you for me, i'm going to be the one doing the swap on my next Z, he is currently on the lookout for a TT 6 speed right now haha. Don't wanna jump off topic but i'm still looking into cooling options right now.

I'm not sure if R888's are any different, but i figured it's better to ask and be safe than sorry down the line, what PSI should the tires be inflated to? 32 PSI, or more or less due to the fact that it's an aftermarket tire? And the only reason i stated KDW 2's as a choice is because i ran them on my last 300ZX and they gripped fairly well, then again it was only BPU hahaha.

I run Hankook ventus 12 (305/30 19 rear, 265/30 19 front). Of course with 600 rwhp when they are cold they don't hook up at all, but once they are warm they are decent. And I have driven in the rain many times and they do great. So far 5000 miles logged on them. I would say these tires are more suited for daily driving/touring vs taking to a track day once in a while. Plus at 260 per tire....that's pretty cheap IMO. I am for sure going to try the R888 for my next rear set.
    [IMG][/IMG]

1997 MKIV
    Brian Crower 3.4L Stroker Motor, HKS 272Camshafts, Billet Mains, Virtual Works intake manifold, Precision Turbo 6765 Turbocharger RPS Twin Disc Clutch with light weight flywheel, TRD Limited slip differential, AP Racing 14.25 Front brake kit

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurrakaine View Post
    Since Nitto is manufactured by Toyo. The only difference is the thread pattern/design, and some sizes between these tires:

Toyo T1R = Nitto NT555
    Toyo RA1 = Nitto NT555R
    Toyo R888 = Nitto NT01

IMO a tire that splits the difference between a track tire, and a summer tire would be the Nitto NT05. Its made by Toyo, slightly better treadwear, tread-depth, and it offers better resistance to standing water.

http://www.nittotire.com/tire/nt05
    Steve,

Nitto says the NT555R is a DOT drag radial, as is the NT05R. So no way in hell those are equal to the RA-1. I still have a partially worn set of RA-1's in my garage and have gone through a couple sets of those in the past before trying the R888's and the RA-1 is a solid DOT road racing tire and this tire carcass would make a lousy drag radial (sidewall too short and stiff).

As you see in my sig I'm on NT05's on my street wheels and while they are a damn good street tire they are an order of magnitude less traction than the R888's and IMO only marginally better in the rain.

SupraForums Member
    How does the R888's compare with MT streets? I need a rear set of tires that can hold 800whp on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by thrustn View Post
    How does the R888's compare with MT streets? I need a rear set of tires that can hold 800whp on the streets.
    In for an answer. I'm curious to know as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast