2JZGTE VVTI Engine Management Options

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2JZGTE VVTI Engine Management Options

2JZGTE VVTI Engine Management Options

I have a GS300 with a full Aristo swap. Precision 67mm single, full bolt ons, ati super damper, aluminum pulleys, aero motive pump, regulator, rail, Siemens 575cc injectors. I'm looking to go stand alone or piggyback. I'm weighing my options as I have basically no wiring skills. I don't mind having a tuner install the hardware but I would rather be able to do it. I know that the vvti acts differently from a regular gte so I'm curious as to which methods of engine management offer what pros and cons. My goals are around 650whp (or whatever the current fuel system will support).

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    I know Haltech, AEM, Motec can run VVTI cam control. Not too sure about PRO-EFI as no one really has that around my area. I use Haltech Platinum Sport 2000 and it works great. Really the only difference is the intake cam control which you have to get a seperate connector for in the wiring process.

Cheaper options would be Apexi Power FC or HKS V-Pro which both work with VVTI if you didn't want to go full stand alone of that nature.

I'd find the tuner you plan to work with and if in your budget and capabilities, go with their recommendation.

My real concern is the Jobd Aristo ECU. It's hard headed and tends to auto learn against a piggyback. The aristo ecu also has bad habits of really intrusive traction control. Have you guys seen these issues?

ProEFI
    1994 Red/Black TT Auto
    86K miles
    Roller...

SupraForums Member
    Another option that does have VVTi support is the ECUMaster EMU. Similar number of inputs and outputs as the Haltech but at a much lower price. It includes a LSU 4.2 wideband controller and two thermocouple inputs. Also has a 4 Bar MAP sensor, and a baro sensor onboard. There is no commercially available adapter harness, but one could be made easily by any of the harness suppliers.

Check it out:
    http://www.ecumaster.com/en/products...anagement-unit

The designer of this system is very responsive by email and he's just set me up with all the cal settings for the VVTi 36-2 crank, 3 tooth cam pickups and VVTi control. I made my own adapter harness and will be playing around with this system on my car very shortly.
    1997 GE VVTi 6spd

codyphillipsracing.com Cody Phillips Racing's Avatar
    This all depends on your budget.......but MoTeC, and AEM would be your best options.
    Cody Phillips - Supraforums Sponsor

Visit Our Online Store

801-668-7128

1994 Supra Precision 94mm Pro-Mod Gen-2 Powered
    1492 rwhp w/spray
    Best 60ft. To Date 1.289
    Best E.T. 8.28
    Best MPH 174
    Highest Top Speed 230.6 mph at the Texas Mile

SupraForums Member
    I've seen the ProEFI run multiple 2JZ-GTE VVTi engines with great success.

ProEFI

'06 IS350

SupraForums Member
    I use vipec v88 in my vvti

Let's also not forget that the throttle body is hybrid drive by wire. With that said, you can do what I did with my Haltech run show car and daily driven supra before it was totaled and just use a non-VVT-i upper intake manifold and throttle body. JDM would be preferred by myself as it doesn't have the EGR crap inside.
    Otherwise, you'll have to use an EMS that is compatible with running the throttle body like ProEFI or Motec for example.

I ran the JDM manifolds as I had issues with my throttle body once in a while where I had no throttle what so ever. Even that 25-33% failsafe where it opens when not powered would not work. There was no CEL at this point either. Had to pull the fuse and restart the car.

I got my Haltech's at great deals with what was included so that is why I went that way. I had a few stock non-vvt-i intake manifolds laying around which made it easy.

You can send your harness to tweak who can wire it up for you. Or do it yourself if you have solder knowledge, patience and time.

If I were in your shoes, I would start to search pricing on different EMS' and upper intake manifolds with throttle body combo's. You may save some money by switching over.

Just a thought.

EDIT: I keep forgetting that all the new EMS' coming out now like the Haltech Elite, AEM Infinity and so on have Drive by Wire built in so options are wide open.
    Last edited by artbran; 04-04-2014 at 07:50 AM.
    -93 hard top 6 speed
    -95 widebody 6 speed
    -95 built targa 6 speed

SupraForums Member NgoFcukinWay's Avatar
    ProEFI128 will work and SupraStore has a plug-and-play AEM V2 package for the VVTi.
    -Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Ren Red 2JZ-GTE VVTi + V160 swap COMPLETED Time to clean her up.

Hks fcon vpro 3.24

I've ised Tweak'd before, bought a custom harness for my last project, they tell me that the aem and pro-efi will not run the dbw throttle body. Yet supra store has the turn key harness for the aem. So I am confused on that logic. Also, since I'm pretty much having to go with a stand alone I would like to keep my budget around $3000 out the door, complete setup. It'd be nice if that included a tune as well, too.

I am not sure about the aem, but i know for sure proefi will run anything and everything.

Who told you that it won't work?
    Under construction...

SupraForums Member
    You can also keep the stock ecu in the loop just to control the vvti and dbw, and allow the standalone to control fuel and timing. That will make it really easy on you, and the stock ecu does a fine job controlling the vvti.

Tweak'd told me that this morning.

I would LOVE to go piggyback but I hear it's a constant battle with the aristo ecu.

Apexi Power FC is a stand alone ECU and works great on the 2jzgte VVTI engine/electronics.
    www.cardomain.com/id/jza71

Torqueless 1JZ - 6266 CEA - 1600cc - 272 Cams - Dual Walbro - RPS 3200lb - APEXi Power FC - E85 = FUN !!!
    Wingless Baltic Blue TT Hardtop 6spd

! A dead GOD is no GOD !

Does it work well with the automatic?

Yes, only the VVTI model.

If the AEM pnp kit from Supra Store is indeed a turn-key plug up and go option, that's definitely worth considering. Any first hand experience with it? Especially vs the Pro-Efi in terms of setup? If the pro-efi would plug in I'd be willing to pay a little more for it over the AEM. Hard to justify shop install rates on top of the already expensive Pro-Efi hardware.

You need to talk to Larry at Sound Performance, he can answer all of your questions about VVTI and ProEFI

Just shot them an Email, Thank you.

Any experience with the MS3Pro with PNP Harness from Token Solutions?
    http://www.tokensolutions.net/lexus-...gement-system/

Also claims to be completely PNP and at a serious discount over the ProEfi. Is the MS3 going to control the transmission correctly? Any idea if it has DBW control?

The big problem children here; if you're auto you really need the stock ecu and if you want maintain cruise. Ac gets iffy without the stock ecu in the loop.

At sane power levels emanage ultimate is a very popular option.
    Last edited by Hardrvin; 04-06-2014 at 04:06 PM.

So something like map ecu or emanate ultimate? I could have sworn proefi had auto trans functions.

www.spracingonline.com Sound Performance's Avatar
    I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabamaguy View Post
    I could have sworn proefi had auto trans functions.

Yes ProEFI can control the VVTi and the drive by wire along with the auto transmission.

Sound Performance
    630-893-5002

DO NOT PM ME!!!

Email - XXSUPRAXX@AOL.COM
    Instant Messenger - XXSUPRAXX
    Text or Cell Phone - (630) 205-6690

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast