Supra Forums banner

2JZGTE VVTI Engine Management Options

42K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  Salman Alaali 
#1 ·
I have a GS300 with a full Aristo swap. Precision 67mm single, full bolt ons, ati super damper, aluminum pulleys, aero motive pump, regulator, rail, Siemens 575cc injectors. I'm looking to go stand alone or piggyback. I'm weighing my options as I have basically no wiring skills. I don't mind having a tuner install the hardware but I would rather be able to do it. I know that the vvti acts differently from a regular gte so I'm curious as to which methods of engine management offer what pros and cons. My goals are around 650whp (or whatever the current fuel system will support).

#2 ·
I know Haltech, AEM, Motec can run VVTI cam control. Not too sure about PRO-EFI as no one really has that around my area. I use Haltech Platinum Sport 2000 and it works great. Really the only difference is the intake cam control which you have to get a seperate connector for in the wiring process.

#3 ·
Cheaper options would be Apexi Power FC or HKS V-Pro which both work with VVTI if you didn't want to go full stand alone of that nature.

I'd find the tuner you plan to work with and if in your budget and capabilities, go with their recommendation.

#4 ·
My real concern is the Jobd Aristo ECU. It's hard headed and tends to auto learn against a piggyback. The aristo ecu also has bad habits of really intrusive traction control. Have you guys seen these issues?

#6 ·
Another option that does have VVTi support is the ECUMaster EMU. Similar number of inputs and outputs as the Haltech but at a much lower price. It includes a LSU 4.2 wideband controller and two thermocouple inputs. Also has a 4 Bar MAP sensor, and a baro sensor onboard. There is no commercially available adapter harness, but one could be made easily by any of the harness suppliers.

Check it out:
http://www.ecumaster.com/en/products/engine-management-unit

The designer of this system is very responsive by email and he's just set me up with all the cal settings for the VVTi 36-2 crank, 3 tooth cam pickups and VVTi control. I made my own adapter harness and will be playing around with this system on my car very shortly.

#10 · (Edited)
Let's also not forget that the throttle body is hybrid drive by wire. With that said, you can do what I did with my Haltech run show car and daily driven supra before it was totaled and just use a non-VVT-i upper intake manifold and throttle body. JDM would be preferred by myself as it doesn't have the EGR crap inside.
Otherwise, you'll have to use an EMS that is compatible with running the throttle body like ProEFI or Motec for example.

I ran the JDM manifolds as I had issues with my throttle body once in a while where I had no throttle what so ever. Even that 25-33% failsafe where it opens when not powered would not work. There was no CEL at this point either. Had to pull the fuse and restart the car.

I got my Haltech's at great deals with what was included so that is why I went that way. I had a few stock non-vvt-i intake manifolds laying around which made it easy.

You can send your harness to tweak who can wire it up for you. Or do it yourself if you have solder knowledge, patience and time.

If I were in your shoes, I would start to search pricing on different EMS' and upper intake manifolds with throttle body combo's. You may save some money by switching over.

Just a thought.

EDIT: I keep forgetting that all the new EMS' coming out now like the Haltech Elite, AEM Infinity and so on have Drive by Wire built in so options are wide open.

#13 ·
I've ised Tweak'd before, bought a custom harness for my last project, they tell me that the aem and pro-efi will not run the dbw throttle body. Yet supra store has the turn key harness for the aem. So I am confused on that logic. Also, since I'm pretty much having to go with a stand alone I would like to keep my budget around $3000 out the door, complete setup. It'd be nice if that included a tune as well, too.

#20 ·
If the AEM pnp kit from Supra Store is indeed a turn-key plug up and go option, that's definitely worth considering. Any first hand experience with it? Especially vs the Pro-Efi in terms of setup? If the pro-efi would plug in I'd be willing to pay a little more for it over the AEM. Hard to justify shop install rates on top of the already expensive Pro-Efi hardware.

#26 ·
The AEM plug n play kit you mention works as a piggy-back with your factory ECU, so every single feature that currently works on the Aristo will continue to work. In order to accomplish the same thing with the PRO EFI, it would have to piggy back the factory ECU as well. Been there done that. The AEM for the Aristo that they have is the simplest set-up that gives you complete control, and by far the most cost effective, at least in my opinion, considering I have both a PRO EFI Supra and 'had' the AEM plug n play you mentioned from Supra Store. It worked flawlessly and plugs right in.

#22 ·
#38 ·
I'm not sure if you could use this with a GTE VVTi OEM ECU?

I will actually be running the MS3Pro PNP from TokenSolutions for my IS300 turbo setup. But I'm running the 2JZ GE VVTi OEM ECU with it.....there are others using it with great success.

#29 ·
Technically you are correct, there are NO stand alone set-ups that will run the entire Aristo with VVT-i, however, the AEM EMS that is referred to by the supra store is a piggy-back to the factory ECU, and is 100% plug n play and controls every critical 'tuning' function (including variable valve timing)and the factory ECU controls everything else.

Any other EMS would have to be configured to do the same, but why, when there is already a TUNE/MAP and a harness/loom built for this exact set-up by someone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.