The Great Oil Pressure Test- Factory Oil Cooler and the PHR Oil Filter Relocation Kit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Great Oil Pressure Test- Factory Oil Cooler and the PHR Oil Filter Relocation Kit

SupraForums Member
    Nice to see some empirical testing. The pressure drop doesn't seem significant.

I am curious about the small difference in oil temperature between all the configurations. It's very small. Does that mean that the factory oil cooler is not very efficient or that the test was not sufficient to see how the temperature would vary under real world circumstances(street driving)?

Lastly, what do you do to the pump. I bought a modified one from you guys and compared it (externally) to a spare one I had lying around. They looked identical. I could see no difference in hole size.
    Last edited by SleeperWagon; 06-18-2014 at 08:00 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    I never logged my data but I do know it off-hand, so here is another setup:

DUAL external oil coolers (B&M 11”x8”) mounted each at Do-Luck front side-entries, AN10 lines (around 20ft total), oil-filter relocation kit with Canton Racing Oil-Filter - all together 8.5 quarts of oil.
    My oil-pressure is similar to your Test #5 "Oil Filter mounted straight to Block using PHR Oil Filter Union"- peaking at 110PSI+/8000RPM+

What am I trying to say with this?
    My setup could not be more different than test#5 - and yet we have pretty much identical pressures. So nobody should be concerned if his engine puts out different numbers.

Thanks for the test however - the actual DELTA-PSI between tests is interesting to know!

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperWagon View Post
    Nice to see some empirical testing. The pressure drop doesn't seem significant.

I am curious about the small difference in oil temperature between all the configurations. It's very small. Does that mean that the factory oil cooler is not very efficient or that the test was not sufficient to see how the temperature would vary under real world circumstances(street driving)?

Lastly, what do you do to the pump. I bought a modified one from you guys and compared it (externally) to a spare one I had lying around. They looked identical. I could see no difference in hole size.
    B

I bought the PHR relocation kit that bolts directly to the block via sandwhich plate, and was also wondering will I have any temp issues driving on the street? From the test it shows that it's only 1 degree difference from the stock cooler to a sandwich plate with relocation kit. Bryan can you give anymore Info on this?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rscott22 View Post
    B

I bought the PHR relocation kit that bolts directly to the block via sandwhich plate, and was also wondering will I have any temp issues driving on the street? From the test it shows that it's only 1 degree difference from the stock cooler to a sandwich plate with relocation kit. Bryan can you give anymore Info on this?
    You will not have any temp issues driving down the street or on the track. What other info would you like?

Ryan @ PHR

Quote Originally Posted by Powerhouse Racing View Post
    You will not have any temp issues driving down the street or on the track. What other info would you like?

Ryan @ PHR
    Thats all I needed :-) Just wanted to make sure, as I didnt want to ruin the brand new motor im about to drop in.
    "The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten"
    Click here to enlarge
    Daily driver: 2010 ACURA TSX
    Weekend Warrior: 95 Alpine Silver TT l BorgWarner S366 l JDl AutoFab l Power House Racing l AEM Infinity
    Follow my build here! http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...transformation

SupraForums Member
    For those of you who deleted the factory oil cooler using the relocation kit, did you have to remove the IM to get the stock cooler out of the engine bay or no?

Yes, I would and possibly the lower intake as well.

Were you installing the NA or straight to the block?

DP
    Do more with less......

'95 Toyota Supra TT 6-spd Targa JRR/MoTeC M130 , AP 3.4L, SP F1, Tilton, Precision, Recaro, HKS ID, Boostlogic, PHR, ETS....
    My Build Thread

'16 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport
    '09 Dodge Ram 3500 QCLB Dually 6.7 CTD EFI Live by Anarchy
    '05 Toyota Camry XLE

SupraForums Member
    Is there any down side to running the filter right to the block?
    IS300 - ProEFI128 - 10:1 - GSC S2 - Doc Race Turbo Manifold - S369 - V160 - CM FX850

IG - cillyotta

#empireperfomance

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by c1l View Post
    Is there any down side to running the filter right to the block?
    No downside except for higher oil temps. No problem for most street cars or drag cars, but I'd install a temp gauge if you can (maybe in the oil pan?). Also keep an eye on oil pressure as it will be higher at cold start up.

Steve
    Click here to enlarge

1993.5 Anthracite 6 SPD//PRO EFI//PTE6766//3-Row//E-85Fuel Sys//PHR I/M//GSC//IP 10/1 motor//Manley//RPS C/C//CCW C14//Brembo BBK//TRD LSD//930WHP/38PSI
    2009 BMW 535i Sport FBO

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1A1 View Post
    No downside except for higher oil temps. No problem for most street cars or drag cars, but I'd install a temp gauge if you can (maybe in the oil pan?). Also keep an eye on oil pressure as it will be higher at cold start up.

Steve
    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text